• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's Happened?

I'm not one of the old "regulars" here, but I hope that someday people will call me that. I have lurked for a year & a half and only been posting for less than a year. I have noticed some people are no longer on the board and didn't know why. But I understand when people are too busy to do fun things (like the dis) or that at other times it can be disheartening to them (no money to go, so being on the site is a sad reminder of what they can't do). My hope is that in time some of these folks will be back on. In the meantime we will just have to wish the best for the MIA's, and also enjoy the GG for July 4th and Halloween.

Deb, I really don't think the boards are lacking in content because a lot of us have met each other. I think it has made our core stronger, however, many of us now use other forms of technology for our conversations instead of checking the DIS constantly. Remember when I was in Orlando for my conference a couple of weeks ago? Did I use the DIS to contact you? No, I called you on the phone and we had such a wonderful conversation and we caught up on so much. Unfortunately, boards such as these have limitations and we are seeing them put into action after people actually meet each other in person. That is one example of many I can point out.

Yes you did, Jen....yes, you did!!!

I plan to show off my paint job on my newer cart soon (when it is done) and such so that to generate some new thread topics, but all in all, I also believe that most of us are in "survival" mode and just come here to check on what is going on and leave. Maybe it will change, maybe not. However, this is still the best place on the DIS to find friendly folk that don't bite your head off every time you ask a question. That is why I stay, even if only to lurk sometimes.popcorn::

What I love about our Dis over FB is that you can carry on a "conversation" without character limitations. FB to me is a little less personal. My best friend (who is also on FB) thought I was typing wierd, cryptic messages when I spoke about Otters, Peacocks, Kungaloosh, Beer & Fiends on FB. It finally got the best of her & her curiosity & she called me to get a list of the drugs I was taking! :lmao: What I love about FB is that I've connected with a lot of friends from the past, family, and kids of friends that I ordinarily don't keep up with. I enjoy both Dis & FB, but there is no place like Dis-Home for friendly banter and discussions.

I have also noticed several of the "regulars" that posted frequently when I started hanging around here are not on much anymore. But, I appreciate those of you that have hung around, and I do enjoy the conversations we have on the boards. And if you think about it, those that post here regularly now are the new "regulars". Life goes on, I guess.

I do hope that the posting picks up again as we closer to springtime...and hopefully these summer GG's in Gettysburg and Alabama will spice things up.

In addition to those, are any Fort GG's planned for 2010??

About the new "regulars" that you mentioned,,the sad thing is when people ask questions the new "regulars" try to answer the best they can,,but do to their inexperience often give poor or incorrect answers.
PEOPLE,,THEY NEED THE HELP !! Sooo whacha say,,come on home and give'm a hand ! Whacha say ?!? Huh?? Whacha say !! :thumbsup2

A lot of people (new "regulars") are ask'n and talk'n bout "are you gonna be there",,or,,"we'll be there" and a buncha "maybe we'll run into you"s,, but not much on actual GG'ings at the Fort. Just my opinion, but I dont think their hearts and spirit are in it, :confused3
Dont get me wrong, theres nothing that I enjoy more than Family time and Family vacation together, but I also enjoy the meeting and joy of of people who have the same Fort/Disney obsession as I..

I don't see too much of a problem. Like any diverse group of people, we will be spending time in a lot of areas, with several different social groups. Over time I have found additional web forums I like to chat on, plus Facebook, church, home, etc. I used to work an extra shift in industrial health, which gave me a lot of dead time when nothing was happening. That made it easier to spend more time on the DIS than now.

I won't give up either DIS, th eother forums, or Facebook, because there are people that I'd lose if I did. I just have to hope for some quality time on all fronts.

On the GG note (subtle hijacking here), we are looking at a trip to St. Louis this summer, maybe in place of Branson. With a little luck we'll get Frank and Denise (not to mention some of the other Tennessee regulars) to come over and join us. :banana:

THE OTHER FORUMS???? Rob - I feel like you are cheating on us. I feel so betrayed.

Deb:
I was looking for you all weekend you never came by. It's kind of lonely at the Fort with only a couple of dis-ers here. i'll be here until the morning of the 6th.
I was looking for the otters but only found this OTTER-EATER in the canal by the Dog park area
IMG_2737.jpg

As one of the "new regulars", I can speak to this point... For me at least, I suffer from time to time from a bit of apprehension about whether or not I truly "belong" to the group. I would love to get together with my fellow DISers, but there's nothing worse than putting yourself out there by asking, and then you find that nobody is interested in joining you...:sad2:

BTW - I'm on FB too, but I haven't found anyone from the DIS...

If you are ever at The Fort when we are feel free to come on by, we'd love to meet you.

Deb:
I was looking for you all weekend you never came by. It's kind of lonely at the Fort with only a couple of dis-ers here. i'll be here until the morning of the 6th.
I was looking for the otters but only found this OTTER-EATER in the canal by the Dog park area
IMG_2737.jpg

I'm in the area on business and have had the good fortune to spend some weekend time over at the Parks and have also been to the Fort some. I even rented a cart for one day last weekend and went loopin most of Saturday and Sunday morning. I didn't see you Jeff, or I would have definitely stopped by!! I did bump into Todd and Cheryl and spent last evening with Lorna and Aaron. But as Jenn said, since we do know each other personally now, PM, cell phones, and email are how we hook up now!!

As one of the "new regulars", I can speak to this point... For me at least, I suffer from time to time from a bit of apprehension about whether or not I truly "belong" to the group. I would love to get together with my fellow DISers, but there's nothing worse than putting yourself out there by asking, and then you find that nobody is interested in joining you...:sad2:

BTW - I'm on FB too, but I haven't found anyone from the DIS...

I PM'd you my name, so you can find me on Facebook. :cool2:

Lisa,
Most of us on fb pm'ed each other here and asked for real names. Even when you meet people in person their screen name still sticks with you. If you come to the larger gatherings it is easier to "fit" in so to speak.

I'm not one of the old "regulars" here, but I hope that someday people will call me that. I have lurked for a year & a half and only been posting for less than a year. I have noticed some people are no longer on the board and didn't know why. But I understand when people are too busy to do fun things (like the dis) or that at other times it can be disheartening to them (no money to go, so being on the site is a sad reminder of what they can't do). My hope is that in time some of these folks will be back on. In the meantime we will just have to wish the best for the MIA's, and also enjoy the GG for July 4th and Halloween.

Hey... who ya callin' old! :mad:

:rotfl:

Wonder why he hangs out around the dog park?

Now..that's what's been missing around here! :scared:
:laughing:

I've been wondering the same thing...not sure if we'd be condisered "regulars" or "newbies" or whatever, but Matt and I used to spend hours looking through allthe different posts and the joking around etc, now I just pop on every few days to see whats going on and thats about it :confused3

We loved metting everyone at all of our Fort trips this year and we made some really great friends that I never would have if it wasnt for the DIS, but the boars just arent the same as they used to be. I o have a lot of the Fiends on my FB friens list, but as Deb said, when you start talking about Fort specific stuff on FB, no one else really gets it and they think you're wacked out or something... which probably contributes to why alot of us have taken to other methods of contacting each other, besides now that we have formed closer friendships, we call and email etc too...

I hope that maybe things will pick back up, just for the fun of it. I know that every time we are at the Fort we loop around and see if any Fiends are around...so here's to the Fiends and many more GG's where ever they may be :drinking1

As I recall, Gatormom set up a Facebook group called Fort Fiends. For those of us on FB that want to talk FF conversations, that is one way to do it.

Things do change, but it doesn't mean wa have to lose touch with each other at the same time. We can't do that, I'm still trying to get in on a GG to meet some of my fellow Fiends in person.

sorry Auntie, you're not old but 'ole'. As for Lil Lisa....I too feel the same way. I wonder if I will be accepted, and I've met alot of the regulars during the last 2 GGs. Because I live closeby I've thought about just going out to FW and visit people I met at those GGs, (at least certain people that have made me feel welcome, like Jen, Pirate Jeff, Stack tester, and CKelly). Unfortunately I can't drive now so it's been impossible to do. I've just been hanging out here on dis to get my 'disney fix' vicariously through everybody else's vacations.

so, are we going to have a gg this oct or not? if we are, what are the dates? i need to know so i can plot and plan to get all my evil cabin mates back!:rolleyes1

Deb:
IMG_2737.jpg

Believe it or not, Jeff, we haven't been back to the Fort since November. December was way to busy for me, and January has been way to busy for Rick. Now..... you know if you're too busy for the Fort, you're just too busy!! Today due to the chilly air, we took a trip up to St. Augustine for the day. We hadn't been there in about 34 years. Not much has changed. It's still the same old city it was then. :rotfl2: Get it?? Same OLD city!!:lmao: I crack myself up! :rotfl2:

sorry Auntie, you're not old but 'ole'. As for Lil Lisa....I too feel the same way. I wonder if I will be accepted, and I've met alot of the regulars during the last 2 GGs. Because I live closeby I've thought about just going out to FW and visit people I met at those GGs, (at least certain people that have made me feel welcome, like Jen, Pirate Jeff, Stack tester, and CKelly). Unfortunately I can't drive now so it's been impossible to do. I've just been hanging out here on dis to get my 'disney fix' vicariously through everybody else's vacations.

Hmph! So what am I...Chopped Liver:laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter