• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's going on with the Matterhorn?

KJHawley

Mouseketeer
When we were at DL last summer the Matterhorn was closed for extensive refurbishments. From what I understand, Disney had planned on putting in new cars (with one person per seat), but that didn't happen, and will happen in the next refurbishment instead.

So, is there anything else going on with the Matterhorn that's causing these delays? In total, it looks like the ride will have been closed for about a year. Did they add anything to the ride, other than the new cars?

I was there last week and rode Matterhorn a lot. Seemed like the same old ride, the same one I rode back in the 90s. :)

Still the same old cars.

Matterhorn is planned to be closed January 9th until June 15th.
http://media.disneywebcontent.com/S...c/pdf/D-MailPDF/IntlDmailDLRefurbishments.pdf

Rumors say large things like new track and repainting.

Track work was done last summer, but new track is an exaggeration at best. They did not change the path only worked on segments of track. They also did some work on the building over the loading area.

New cars exist, have been placed on the tracks, but aren't being used yet for unknown reasons.

Aren't they also installing lap bars? I could've sworn that I read that somewhere, but maybe it was for another ride. :confused3

Aren't they also installing lap bars? I could've sworn that I read that somewhere, but maybe it was for another ride. :confused3

Yeah, I think that's what the new cars are for. The old cars had two "seating areas" per car, which fit one person each (or two if you really like each other :lovestruc ). The new cars will have three individual seats per car, with a bar instead of a lap belt.

We're thinking of visiting DLR this Christmas. We've never been at Christmas, and really want to see the place all decked out, if the crowds aren't too horrible. Getting to ride the Matterhorn one last time before they change it might be enough motivation to put up with those holiday crowds.

That is a rumor and not a sure thing.

In photos of the new cars there were bars behind each seat with a center pad on them Notice that's behind each seat. Lap bars usually come from the front. Additionally in one photo I could clearly see that one bar is in a fixed position. I doubt they are lap bars. They look more like head rests.

Look at the picture, how would those swing down over a tall persons head?
watermark.php

Does it look like the bars are hinged?
photo1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter