• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's Fun and FREE in Downtown Disney?

smellyann

Mouseketeer
Hey all,

I'm taking a working vacation with my 3 kids (6, 8 & 9) to FL next week. We're spending ONE night, Tuesday, in Orlando. I thought about taking them to DT Disney, to which I have never been.

The thing is, we is po'. So I wondered if that could be done, and have fun, without spending ANY money. Oh, I know, they'll whine and ask, "can we have xyz?!" but I can handle that.

Is there stuff to do on the cheap?

Thanks. :)

There are two areas with fountains...my husband and little girl (who is 6) LOVED running through them and trying to not get wet.

They got sprayed a few times, but didn't get soaking wet or anything.

Also...right by the big Disney store there is a stage. Sometimes there is entertainment. We saw a fun dance party one night we were down there.

Hope that helps!

Just walking around is fun there. My kids loved hanging out in the Lego Store, there was a courtyard outside the store where there were tables that you could build all kinds of things and slides for the kids to climb in. Many hours were spent there hanging out looking at all the cool lego statues placed around the walks. Sometimes there are street entertainers as well. Also a walk into TRex and the Rainforest Cafe is always fun. They are both restaurants, but there is so much to see in there and so many people you can take a peek without much worry.

The toy store also has a lot of demo toys out that kids can play with and of course McDonalds is always a draw. I seem to recall a play area there as well. DTD is along a waterfront so just strolling along taking in all the sights if fun for the kids. You can walk all the way from the far end at Rainforest to the other end at Circ de Solei (sp?). There are shops at both ends along with restaruants, eateries and food stands.

You'll have fun on a budget. We used to just go there for a stroll at night, of course, it was hard to stay out of the stores, but that's part of the fun!

Awesome. Thanks for all the ideas. Glad to know it can be done!!!

Also, we are a military family. I'm sure there's probably a military board, but as long as I'm here... our militry member won't be with us. Can we get into a park for free w/o him? I guess I should go look THAT up. ;)

Thanks again!

My kids loved building with Legos at the Lego store. They spent over an hour building. They also loved the Once Upon A Toy store (didn't buy anything, just played). They have play areas where they can play with my little ponies and stuff like that. Even though my kids would never play with those toys at home they seemed to love it at the store. They spent like a half hour with those silly ponies :rotfl2:

LOL Cool. I can handle the "gimmes" since they know we're broke. Good to know there is stuff to do IN the stores if I'm up to it!! :D

very little to answer your ?????

if you dont have $$$ expect to say NO a lot.

the big ballon that takes you up is fun though, but not free

I went in Jan. this year and legos was not open yet maybe it is now

I just rembered something free and fun, they have a boat that will take you accross the lake, my kids love boat rides so that was fun and free

McDonald's has been gone for over a year, replaced by a healthier food opportunity. You can take the boat on the Sassagoula River to the two Port Orleans resorts, walk around, then take it back to DTD. The boat ride is about 20 minutes to PO Riverside -- if you time it right you can go into the bar and catch Yee Ha Bob's show. It's in the bar, though, so you might feel like you should buy something -- anyway, plenty of free playgrounds at the Port Orleans resorts, if you want to let the kids run around a bit.

The kids can also play with Mr. Potato Head at Once Upon a Toy. They have a ton of cool Disney parts, and that can occupy them for awhile...

Have a great time, and don't forget to duck into Ghirardelli for a free chocolate square!

Maria :upsidedow

The Legos store is open now, and has different displays and a larger Lego play area -- I believe the slides are gone.

My kids loved building with Legos at the Lego store. They spent over an hour building. They also loved the Once Upon A Toy store (didn't buy anything, just played). They have play areas where they can play with my little ponies and stuff like that. Even though my kids would never play with those toys at home they seemed to love it at the store. They spent like a half hour with those silly ponies :rotfl2:

The ponies are long gone as is the castle that was in the toy store.

I think it's tough if there is no money for the kids to buy anything. DTD is really targeted at restaurants and selling toys/souvenirs. There are statues of characters, but no characters. The boat is fun and free, if your kids like riding on a boat. It was a huge hit with mine at 2ish years old, but not so sure about 6+. My son (6) is really not one to ask for stuff, but DTD brought out the gimmies in him last year. The toy stores are just SO cool there. I wonder, would anyone in the family want to early-Christmas-gift the kids $20-30 gift cards or something? You know your kids best, though...

We hang out there all the time....and we certainly don't buy "stuff" every time we're there! You will find lots to keep them entertained for a few hours. You can always top it off at Goofy's with a small treat. They have all different price ranges.... And a lot of it is really reasonable! Have fun!;)

As pps have said, there are fountains the kids can play in. They can play with stuff in the stores, but that often leads to issues when they want to buy. I gave my DDs a small (meaning under $10 each) budget, and we spent a long time checking out all of the options before they made their selections, so that killed some time (although, admittedly, it was hard for the 4 year old to understand why she couldn't buy the very first thing she saw...it worked much better with my 7 year old who wanted to be sure she chose wisely!). There's often entertainment/music, and if your kids are into people watching, just walking around outside can be fun.

I heartily recommend taking the FREE boat ride over to Port Orleans Riverside and seeing Yeehaw Bob's show. I saw him with my daughter when she was oh, I think 12? and my niece who was 9 or 10. We all loved him.

We never bought any drinks, just enjoyed the show. He's fantastic, and totally free! Then ride the boat back to Downtown Disney and enjoy the dragon made of Legos, visit the T-rex store, etc.

I agree with all the places others have mentioned. My DD's love the fountains and the Lego store. They love walking around the store and we usually end the night with a stop at Ghiradelli's for an ice cream (kids' ice cream is only $3.00 and they get a small gift bag with it). Also if you go into the store side of Ghiradelli's there is usually an employee that hands out free samples of their small squares. If you will be getting a bite to eat at DTD you can get really yummy sandwiches at Earl of Sandwich. I believe they are around $6 a piece and they are really a good size so the kids could each share one.
As for your question about getting into a park for free, Disney does not offer free admission to the parks for folks in the military. They offer a discount on tickets which is a really nice discount but it still pricey and yes your husband or whomever you know in the military would need to be with you and show their military ID.

I know you said DTD, but if you have some time to spare, a ride around on the monorail is always a big hit with my family -- and free. So is wandering around the resorts, admiring the theming (also free, and less temptation to buy something). And of course our fave, the Chip 'n' Dale Sing-a-long at Fort Wilderness, the singing, meet-and-greet, and movie are all free, free, and free.

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter