What's Everybody Reading this Fall/Winter Season?

So glad I came across the new book thread! :goodvibes Always curious as to what others are reading.

I'm currently reading 'Christmas Letters' by Debbie Macomber. It's a really fun read!

diznee25

I'm a failure! I just can't push through Les Mis any more. The Bishop hasn't even met the main character yet and I give up. *sigh* I really wanted to read this book but I just can't!

So now I'm reading A Christmas Carol, then Old Chrismas, then a fluffy Christmas romance, and if I have time another Christmas book.

Then I'm not sure where to go next...I need to stop buying books! Too many of them and I'm feeling overwhelmed.

I'm a failure! I just can't push through Les Mis any more. The Bishop hasn't even met the main character yet and I give up. *sigh* I really wanted to read this book but I just can't!

So now I'm reading A Christmas Carol, then Old Chrismas, then a fluffy Christmas romance, and if I have time another Christmas book.

Then I'm not sure where to go next...I need to stop buying books! Too many of them and I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Nope! You are not a failure!!! That is one intense book! If you really want to try it again, may I suggest that you try the abridged version? Same story, but with all the extraneous stuff cut out. No descriptions of the abbey, or the sewers, etc. It's much more plot driven!

I gave up on Les Mis as well. If I have to force myself to read it takes the joy out of it. I settled for the very abridged Spark Notes for some background before the movie!

I know it's an older book, but I'm reading The Mosquito Coast. It was a movie, also, but I've never seen it. So far, I'm pretty into it. I love really messed up characters like this!

Has anyone read Zoo by James Patterson?

I was at the library and it caught my eye. However, I have so many books on my "to read" list, I don't want to add any more unless it's worth it. :)

I've read one James Patterson novel before and didn't really care for it. Think it was Postcard Killers ? I could be remembering wrong. Might not have been same author...

Patterson runs hot and cold for me. Some I like, especially those where he is the sole author. I find that his series books become predictable.

So I decided not to give up on Les Mis...again. I started reading it again last night. I think I will regret NOT reading it more than I will regret reading it. I am done with school for the semester so I have more reading time now. I might also try to simultaneously read a fluff book to give me Les Mis breaks.

Just starting Winter of the World by Ken Follett. I've had it on hold at the library since last month, and finally got it last night! :goodvibes I hope it is worth the wait.

I liked Fall of Giants, but not as much as the Pillars of the Earth series.

Finished "Northanger Abbey" a couple of days ago. I love Jane Austen, and this one did not disappoint! I did feel like the ending was a bit rushed, but I loved the humor of this book! She really took a dig at the gothic novels of the day, and it was enjoyable!

Now, I'm trying to finish Philippa Gregory's book "The Lady of the Rivers". I need to return it to my dad tomorrow, and I'm 3/4 of the way done. This is fantastic! I think it's my new favorite of hers. Of course, I say that about all of them!

Once that is done, I need to finish "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle", and "Team of Rivals". That ought to get me to Christmas!

I just finished 'World Made By Hand' by James Howard Kunstler. Good but got better in the last few chapters so I do think I want to get the sequel.

Has anyone read Zoo by James Patterson?

I was at the library and it caught my eye. However, I have so many books on my "to read" list, I don't want to add any more unless it's worth it. :)

I've read one James Patterson novel before and didn't really care for it. Think it was Postcard Killers ? I could be remembering wrong. Might not have been same author...

I finished Zoo about 2 weeks ago. I have to say, it was probably my favorite Patterson in a long time. He does tend to get repetitive.

Without giving up too much of the plot, it plays on another "End of days" type scenario, but I liked the spin of this one.

I have to say though:
All in one week I read Zoo, saw Seeking a Friend for the End of the World plus my regular shows like Fringe and Revolution, and I am feeling the pressure to start preparing for the end, LOL. It may be time for me to pick a lighter topic. :rotfl:

Right now I am on Book 9 of the Anita Blake series (Obsidian Butterfly). The writing style drives me nuts at times, as she can be very grammatically incorrect (not from lack of writing skills, just due to the narrative). I love her storytelling though, so I will definitely finish the series.

Just starting Winter of the World by Ken Follett. I've had it on hold at the library since last month, and finally got it last night! :goodvibes I hope it is worth the wait.

I liked Fall of Giants, but not as much as the Pillars of the Earth series.

I've read both Pillars of the Earth and World Without End and enjoyed them immensely. Where does Fall of Giants come in? Is that part of another series?

Let us know how Winter of the World is! I may have to add that one!

So I decided not to give up on Les Mis...again. I started reading it again last night. I think I will regret NOT reading it more than I will regret reading it. I am done with school for the semester so I have more reading time now. I might also try to simultaneously read a fluff book to give me Les Mis breaks.

Definitely stick with it! There's so much emotion in the book that can never be portrayed in the same way on a Broadway stage or in the movie theatre.

I finished a couple months ago. It was GRUELING at times (I admit I did have to skim through entire sections at a time), but it was so worth it. Les Mis is a story that will forever stay in my heart.

The "taking Les Mis breaks" is what I had to do. Read a fluff book at page 500 or so, then again at page 1000. Your mind will need refreshing at those intervals, lol.

I've read both Pillars of the Earth and World Without End and enjoyed them immensely. Where does Fall of Giants come in? Is that part of another series?

Let us know how Winter of the World is! I may have to add that one!

Fall of Giants and Winter of the World are part of a trilogy covering various families in the 20th Century. The third book is not published yet.

Fall of Giants covers a lot of the WWI Era, and Winter of the World picks up in the 1930s (focusing on the characters' children from the first book) and looks like it's go through WWII. I think the third book may encompass the Cold War. It's interesting because the characters in the book are from different countries. Their lives are intertwined in various ways, but you get a glimpse of world history from different countries and all walks of life. If you read the books, do so in order starting with Fall of Giants.

I finished Confessions of a Murder Suspect and it was pretty good. I got "Bloom" by Kelle Hampton at the library today and started reading it. I'm already a few chapters in. It's really good.

I was looking for a new read when I came across this book on Amazon. It has such incredible reviews that I think I will give it a try:

The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski

http://www.amazon.com/The-Edge-of-Never-ebook/dp/B00A7EPCY8/ref=tmm_kin_title_0

Wow! GREAT reviews on this book over at Goodreads too (I manage my book lists on that site - fantastic if you are not familiar with it).

Thanks for the recommendation! This is definitely being moved to the top of my list!

OK - read it - NOT impressed. :sad2: A lot more reviews came out on Amazon since I posted the book as a suggestion, and they are more realistic/balanced. I am sooo easy to please - even managed to read a bit of fluff with Twilight and found it entertaining. But this book seems like it was written by a lovesick high schooler. Sorry - hope no one wasted their time or money. Stay away - far, far away.:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter