What's Cookin'? - A Recipe Share Thread

I had leftovers from a pot roast I made the other night. Since I wanted to use it before the magic 7 days (I took the Serv-Safe class last year, so I'm expected to be sanitary) I decided to use it in a paella. I did the following:

Chop up about 1/4 cup of red bell pepper, a celery stalk, about half of an onion and a clove of garlic. Also, cut the remaining roast (about a pound and a half) into bite-size chunks.

Heat up my paella pan (cast iron for use with an electric range) and then add a couple tablespoons of olive oil.

Throw the chopped vegetables into the pan and let them soften and infuse the oil with flavor. I also added about a teaspoon of smoked paprika and 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper and a teaspoon of kosher salt.

After the vegetables were getting soft, and threatening to burn, add the meat. Let the meat warm up and spread its flavors into the oil

Add 2 cups of basmati brown rice (I didn't have any calasparra or bomba and really wish I did). Stir the rice to coat with oil and to roast it slightly. Since I wasn't using the normal rice, I wasn't sure how long to cook the rice; it probably could have been better.

I added 4 cups of beef broth and the leftover roast vegetables (about two pounds of potato, carrot and onion) and the juices from the leftover container.

Bring it to a boil and stir it for the last time.

Since it was brown rice and the paella pan doesn't have a lid, it took about an hour to finish. When the beef broth was mostly absorbed or reduced, I added about a cup of Pinot Gris. After that cooked down, I needed to add more warm water a couple more times before the rice was done. When the rice looked done I let it cook down until almost all the liquid was absorbed or evaporated.

It tasted great, maybe better than the original roast, at least to me. The texture would have been better with the correct rice. I probably could have turned the heat up because I didn't get any of that great crust, either, although that may have been due to the rice, too.

I substituted 2lbs ground sirloin for ground lamb, added corn and used beef stock instead of chicken stock

Hey Sawx04, thought you might like to know if you replace the lamb for beef we call that cottage pie :thumbsup2

Useless information in abundance,

Roy

I love the crock pot I got for Christmas! I am cooking way more than I use to and my family is reaping the benefits :)
Enjoy, I know we did!

http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotgroundbeef/r/bl6c6.htm

Thanks Julie, that looks like something I could get even my picky eater to try!

Tonight we're having a recipe from my Paula Deen cookbook, meat loaf. I'll make mashed potatoes/gravy, mac & cheese (for the picky one) and probably green beans or something.
Here's the recipe-
Old Fashioned Meat Loaf
1 pound ground beef
6 oz can tomato paste
1/2 cup chopped vidalia onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon dijon mustard

1. Preheat oven to 375*F. In a large bowl, combine the groud beef, tomato paste, onion, green pepper, oats, egg, salt and pepper. Shape the mixture into a loaf and place it in a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard. Slather the glaze on top of the meat loaf and bake for 1 hour or until the meat loaf is firm and cooked all the way through.

Thanks Julie, that looks like something I could get even my picky eater to try!

Tonight we're having a recipe from my Paula Deen cookbook, meat loaf. I'll make mashed potatoes/gravy, mac & cheese (for the picky one) and probably green beans or something.
Here's the recipe-
Old Fashioned Meat Loaf
1 pound ground beef
6 oz can tomato paste
1/2 cup chopped vidalia onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon dijon mustard

1. Preheat oven to 375*F. In a large bowl, combine the groud beef, tomato paste, onion, green pepper, oats, egg, salt and pepper. Shape the mixture into a loaf and place it in a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard. Slather the glaze on top of the meat loaf and bake for 1 hour or until the meat loaf is firm and cooked all the way through.

Yum, I love a good old fashioned meatloaf. I like to make a double recipe, then we have meatloaf sandwiches for lunch a few days. :goodvibes

Crock Pot Corned Beef with Veggies a la Nikki ;)

3 1/2-4 lb. Corned Beef Brisket
3-4 Large Potatoes
1 Cabbage
1 Cup Carrots
1 Medium Onion
Beef Stock
Water

Cut potatoes, carrots, and onions. Layer them on the bottom of the Crock Pot. Rinse brisket and place on top of veggies. Add equal parts of beef stock and water so that it just covers the meat. Cook on LOW for eight hours. Remove veggies and brisket. Cover with foil to keep warm. Add cabbage (cut into quarters or smaller) and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes. Serve with Gulden's mustard.

Mmmmm! Yummy! :wizard:

I make corned beef a lot (it's a fam fav.) Never thought to put in beef stock, can't wait to try this, thanks Nikki!

Crock Pot Corned Beef with Veggies a la Nikki ;)

3 1/2-4 lb. Corned Beef Brisket
3-4 Large Potatoes
1 Cabbage
1 Cup Carrots
1 Medium Onion
Beef Stock
Water

Cut potatoes, carrots, and onions. Layer them on the bottom of the Crock Pot. Rinse brisket and place on top of veggies. Add equal parts of beef stock and water so that it just covers the meat. Cook on LOW for eight hours. Remove veggies and brisket. Cover with foil to keep warm. Add cabbage (cut into quarters or smaller) and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes. Serve with Gulden's mustard.

Mmmmm! Yummy! :wizard:

This is a family favorite of ours, now I'm in the mood for it! We use Kosciusko mustard on ours and it's soooo good! Has replaced the Gulden's for corned beef, baked ham, etc! It's also spicy brown mustard but for some reason, just tastes so much better on the meat, and esp the potatoes!!

I love the crock pot I got for Christmas! I am cooking way more than I use to and my family is reaping the benefits :)
Enjoy, I know we did!

http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotgroundbeef/r/bl6c6.htm

Where are the pics?!!!

This is a family favorite of ours, now I'm in the mood for it! We use Kosciusko mustard on ours and it's soooo good! Has replaced the Gulden's for corned beef, baked ham, etc! It's also spicy brown mustard but for some reason, just tastes so much better on the meat, and esp the potatoes!!

Replace Gulden's? -gasp- I dunno if I can do that! It's tradition! :goodvibes

Replace Gulden's? -gasp- I dunno if I can do that! It's tradition! :goodvibes

lol TRUST ME, I totally get that with the traditions. I have so many myself with certain foods and condiments I don't even eat them at restaurants bc I can't "dip" them in what I want. :scared1:But the Koskiusko is so so so good on corned beef. And it's only like $1.40 a bottle, so you could always try it for real cheap to see if you like it ;) I'm still a Gulden's girl on my sandwiches though - of course mixed with Hellman's.... :rotfl:

This soup is spot-on....sans pretzel breadsticks....really need to attempt making these <grin>.

BeerCheeseSoup.jpg

Try this recipe for the pretzel breadsticks, it is the best! I use the same soup recipe as you, and make these breadsticks and everyone loves it. Just shape the dough into sticks instead of rolls.

http://www.food.com/recipe/bretzel-rolls-bavarian-pretzel-sandwich-rolls-169790

Hey Sawx04, thought you might like to know if you replace the lamb for beef we call that cottage pie :thumbsup2

Useless information in abundance,

Roy

Roy, thanks...my wife loves lamb...I'm not a big fan. When I lived in Boston all the Irish Pus/Restaurants in Southie made it w/lamb.

Try this recipe for the pretzel breadsticks, it is the best! I use the same soup recipe as you, and make these breadsticks and everyone loves it. Just shape the dough into sticks instead of rolls.[/url]

Thanks for the recipe, I've seen this around...not much of a baker...however, this soup is NOT complete without pretzel breadsticks!! Thanks again!

NFL playoffs can mean only one thing....Pan Seared Scallops with Pea Risotto!

Scallops.jpg

Sorry no recipe...been making this for years and don't use a recipe!

2009 Rombauer Chardonnay is a superstar with this dish....tropical fruit flavors blend with toasty oak notes. Peach, pear and a touch of pineapple integrate with creamy vanilla...pairs well with Scallops.

Go Patriots!!!!

That looks wonderful but i HATE salmon...could I use a different fish and it still turn out good???
DSCF0753.jpg

Savory Salmon ! (It's fairly easy, unique and de-LISH ! :tilt: )

Ingredients
1 (2-pound) salmon fillet
House Seasoning, recipe follows
1 small red bell pepper, julienne
1 small green bell pepper, julienne
1 medium onion, sliced thin
1 medium orange, sectioned and seeded
1 pint strawberries, cleaned and sliced
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup chopped fresh chervil or baby dill
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
2 lemons, juiced
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place salmon fillet on a foil-lined pan. Season with House Seasoning, then cover and surround fish with red and green bell pepper, onion, and sectioned orange slices. Mix strawberries, water, honey, chervil or dill, garlic and green onions together. Pour lemon juice over salmon. Ladle strawberry mixture evenly over salmon. Cover with foil and pierce foil, allowing steam to escape. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve with rice.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix well. Store in shaker near stove for convenience.

I made Crock-Pot Chicken tonight to eat during the Steeler Game(Woo Hoo). Its Chicken Breasts, Cream of Mushroom Soup, Stove Top Stuffing, water and a little milk. Cook for 6-8 hours on low. Easy and Yummy!!

I love my crockpot and am always looking for different recipes. Julie's looks delish; gonna have to try it

I made Crock-Pot Chicken tonight to eat during the Steeler Game(Woo Hoo). Its Chicken Breasts, Cream of Mushroom Soup, Stove Top Stuffing, water and a little milk. Cook for 6-8 hours on low. Easy and Yummy!!

I love my crockpot and am always looking for different recipes. Julie's looks delish; gonna have to try it

I made this before and it went over quite well with the family. I have some chicken thawed in the fridge, I just might throw this is the slow cooker tomorrow :thumbsup2
Wow, was the Steelers game exciting or what!!

For dinner last night, I made the Cheddar Cheese Soup from Le Cellier from a recipe I found on another website.

It's been awhile since I had it at LC but with a little less onion and a little sharper cheese, I think we'd have a reasonable facsimile!

I'm still waiting (im)patiently for Nancy's chicken and dumplings crock pot recipe she was bragging about this morning.......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter