What's Cookin'? - A Recipe Share Thread

Tonight we're having a Southeast Asian inspired beef dish. Thin slices of beef marinated for a few hours in a lemongrass, garlic, shallot, olive oil, fish sauce and pepper puree. Then fry or grill quickly about a minute each side and some wild rice/brown rice mixture to go with. Yum and lowfat!!

morning!

well since I can't seem to find that Disney cook book in Canada .......

Does anyone have a recipe "similar" to the french onion soup, served at France in Epcot?

have a wonderful snowy day.

John

morning!

well since I can't seem to find that Disney cook book in Canada .......

Does anyone have a recipe "similar" to the french onion soup, served at France in Epcot?

have a wonderful snowy day.

John

John,

There is actually a disboards thread for recipes. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1575103, but a more recent index to this thread is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1777635.

The baked onion soup (Soupe a L'Oignon Gratinee) is on page 105.

Make sure to make enough for the rest of us.

LOVE this thread! I printed lots of great receipes from this thread, and one I really wanted for Super Bowl the Buffalo Chicken Dip that my husband loves and a friend wouldn't give up the receipe, LOL! She said she knows we will come visit for the dip aka friend security! So now I have it, yeaheee!

I made a quick ** Kale, Turkey Sausage & Potatoe Soup ** last night:

Used what I had you can adjust to how much you want to make!
I did:
2 Large boxes Chicken broth, 8-10 medium potatoes 1/2 cooked skin on in microwave, bunch of kale cut to bite size pieces, 6 turkey sausage links (squeezed out of casing I used spicy or use mild). Chopped fresh garlic

Brown sausage and chopped garlic in heavy bottom stock pot chopping up into bite size pieces as it cooks once lightly browned dump in chicken broth and potatoes simmer low 10 minutes, dump in kale cook another 10 and its done - very healthy and warming!

Since the weather is rough in NC, I decided to make some white chicken chili. I plan to cook it in the crockpot and I hope it turns out to be tasty (first time making this recipe). I got this recipe from the Campbell's Kitchen website www.campbellskitchen.com

Southwest White Chicken Chili
1 tbl olive oil
4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
3-4 ts of chili powder (adjust to your taste. I don't like spicy so I only use 3 ts)
2 ts cumin
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 can cream of chicken soup, fat free ( I am trying to eat healthier)
3/4 cup water
1 1/2 cup frozen corn
2 cans white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Cheddar cheese (fat-free) for topping
Sour Cream (optional)

Cook chicken with spices in vegetable oil until chicken is cooked through. Add chicken to crackpot with the rest of the ingredients, except for cheese and sour cream. Cook for 2-3 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low. Serve and top with cheese and sour cream.

Typing this recipe has made me hungry :)

Haven't seen any breakfast dishes posted so I thought I would add our favorite. This is a recepie from Paula Deen and we have made it many, many times!!! I have made it with Lemon as well. Sooo Goood!

Nutty Orange Coffee Cake

Ingredients
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 teaspoons orange zest (=zest of a large orange)
2 (12-ounce) cans refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (10 count)
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice (use the orange you just zested)

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a small bowl, combine the granulated sugar, pecans, and zest; set aside.

Separate the biscuits. Place about 3/4 teaspoon cream cheese in the center of each biscuit (Just cut one block of cream cheese into 20 pieces). Fold each biscuit in half over the cheese, pressing the edges to seal (Looks like a ball).

Dip the biscuits in melted butter, then dredge in the granulated sugar mixture. Place the biscuits, curved-side down, in a single layer of a lightly greased 12-cup bundt pan, spacing them evenly.

Place any remaining biscuits around the tube, filling any gaps. Drizzle any remaining butter over the biscuits, and sprinkle with any remaining sugar mixture.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown. Immediately invert the cake onto a serving platter.

Combine the confectioners' sugar and orange juice, stirring well; drizzle the glaze over the warm cake. Serve warm.

Here's what we had last night,
Asian inspired Porkchops

4 porkchops cooked in oven or bbq. Since its cold as can be here, we did ours on the foreman grill.

Sauce:

1/2 cup of liq. honey
tsp of ginger
tsp of soy sauce ( or what we did, a whole left over packet from take out of soy sauce)
1/2 tsp of garlic

Mix together,

When chops are done liberally apply sauce.

Served over sticky rice and steamed veggies any left over sauce was poured over the rice.

I am loving the baked and breakfast recipes! I have a really good recipe for a hash brown casserole somewhere. I'll try to pull it out and post it here. :)

DSCF0753.jpg

Savory Salmon ! (It's fairly easy, unique and de-LISH ! :tilt: )

Ingredients
1 (2-pound) salmon fillet
House Seasoning, recipe follows
1 small red bell pepper, julienne
1 small green bell pepper, julienne
1 medium onion, sliced thin
1 medium orange, sectioned and seeded
1 pint strawberries, cleaned and sliced
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup chopped fresh chervil or baby dill
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
2 lemons, juiced
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place salmon fillet on a foil-lined pan. Season with House Seasoning, then cover and surround fish with red and green bell pepper, onion, and sectioned orange slices. Mix strawberries, water, honey, chervil or dill, garlic and green onions together. Pour lemon juice over salmon. Ladle strawberry mixture evenly over salmon. Cover with foil and pierce foil, allowing steam to escape. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve with rice.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix well. Store in shaker near stove for convenience.

Cold, snowy and icey...perfect night for Shepherd's Pie (Gordon Ramsay)

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 lbs lean ground lamb
• fresh ground black pepper
• 2 cups onions, peeled and finely chopped
• 2 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves
• 1 ounce butter
• 2 tablespoons tomato puree
• 2 tablespoons flour
• 7 ounces red wine
• 2 1/2 ounces Worcestershire sauce
• 1 liter chicken stock
• 2 lbs boiled potatoes
• 2 ounces butter
• 5 ounces milk
• 2 egg yolks
• fresh ground white pepper
• salt
Directions:
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 1 1/2 hrs
1. In a large frying pan, heat the oil until hot, add half the mince, season with pepper and fry until well browned. With a slotted spoon, remove the meat from the pan and place in a metal colander to allow the excess fat to drain. Repeat with the second batch of mince and place in the colander.
2. Add the onion to the pan with the thyme and garlic and a knob of butter,and cook until soft and translucent. Add the meat and tomato purée, then sprinkle over the flour. Cook stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes to cook the flour.
3. Add the red wine and Worcestershire sauce and cook until the liquid has reduced to half the original volume. Add the chicken stock, bring back to the boil, then simmer for 30-40 minutes. The mixture should be thick and glossy. Allow to cool, then check the seasoning.
4. Mash the potato until creamy and smooth or pass through a Mouli or potato-ricer. Put into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Place the milk and butter into a small pan and heat until the butter is melted and the milk is about to boil. Pour over the potatoes and beat well, adding the egg yolks and seasoning with salt and white pepper.
5. Put the mince into a large baking dish, then top with the creamed potato. Use a fork to rough up the top.
6. Place in a preheated oven at 400°F for 30 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown in color.

Here's a link to a 2 minute YouTube video that shows just how easy it is to make:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwiMEAxfCx8

I substituted 2lbs ground sirloin for ground lamb, added corn and used beef stock instead of chicken stock. Make it your own!
Sweetwater 420 (Optional)

ENJOY!

ShepardsPie1.jpg

Joshua, I make a very similar dish using fish in foil pockets. You just layer some veggies on flounder or tilapia and make a pocket of foil. You then place it in the oven for a bit. It comes out so good!

I made this with chicken legs last night and it was SO GOOD! From Rachael Ray "Cinch" Show last week Served w/ aspargas & jasmine rice - YUM-O - Kids keep asking for it again

Vegetable oil for drizzling, plus 1 tablespoon
4 pieces bone-in chicken thigh
4 pieces chicken leg I used all legs can do pork or salmon
Salt and pepper
4 plums - I used pineapple slices since couldn't find plums this season
2 inches ginger root, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
About 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
11/2 cup chicken stock
1 cup plum preserves
2 tablespoons poppy seeds (could use sesame seeds)
4 scallions, whites and greens, thinly sliced
-------------------------------------------------------------
Preparation
Heat a drizzle of oil in a large skillet over high heat. Season chicken well with salt and pepper, and brown well. Remove, pour off fat.
Halve and pit the plums, and place them cut-side down in the skillet. Brown well, remove and reserve.
Add remaining tablespoon oil to the pan and sauté ginger and garlic a minute or 2. Add teriyaki sauce, stock and whisk in plum preserves and poppy seeds. Simmer to thicken and combine. Once the sauce coats a spoon, add chicken back and turn in sauce to coat. Cover and simmer to cook through.
Serve Poppy-Teriyaki Chicken with plum halves and rice topped with lots of scallions alongside.

Last night was an easy dinner night...Freschetta brick oven pizza ;) It's actually quite good!
I'm thinking tonight will be cheesey baked potatoe soup. I have a bag of potatoes I need to get used up.

Jamie, what recipe do you use for your baked potato soup? It's one of my favs!

My soup recipe is gone :( I have searched the entire kitchen. I only make it once or twice a year so I dont exactly know it without seeing it. We're gonna wing it with what we know goes in it and see how we do lol here's what we're guessing-
6 potatoes, 6 cups milk, 1/3 cup flour, 1 cup sour cream, 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar, 1/3 cup butter and bacon. We bake the potatoes, then mash them a little. Put milk in large stock pot, slowly add flour and stir as it thickens. Add butter, potatoes, cheese, bacon and sour cream...cook until heated through. It makes a very thick hearty soup. Top with more bacon, cheese, sour cream and sliced green onions (optional).
I'll post later how it turns out and what needs changed lol ;)

Soup is done and turned out really good! I used 2/3 cup of flour instead of 1/3 and 2 cups of cheese. About 8 pieces of bacon too. Oh and salt and pepper, to your liking.

DD has been begging for gumbo ever since she had some of her dad's when we were in Maine of all places! Now I am not from Louisiana or the south, so the recipe I found on Allrecipes yesterday worked for us. If anyone from the Bayou has a better recipe that we should try, please let us know.

Sunday Gumbo
1 lb. cubed chicken breasts
1 lb. Italian sausage links, sliced
1 lb. medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 med. red pepper chopped
1 med. onion chopped
3 celery stalks chopped
3 14.5oz cans of chicken broth
1 14.5oz can of diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups frozen okra
3 tbls. vegetable oil
1 tsp. dried marjoram
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2/3 cup uncooked brown rice

In a dutch oven or large pot, brown sausage and chicken in oil. Remove with a slotted spoon. In the drippings, saute red pepper, onion and celery until tender. Remove veggies from the pot. (This is where I deviated a bit from the recipe. I made a rue with 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup of flour in the pot.) Add the veggies back along with the seasonings. Cook for 5 min. Add the broth, rice and sausage mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for approx. 30min. or until rice is tender.

Stir in tomatoes, shrimp and okra; cook for 10 min. more until shrimp are pink, stirring occasionally.

Canadian Cheddar Beer Cheese Soup (Le Cellier)

Ingredients:

1/4 lb. smoked bacon finely chopped
1 medium red onion cut into 1/4 in. pieces
1/2 cup finely sliced celery
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
3 TB all-purpose flour
3 cups whole milk
2 cups chicken stock
12 oz. grated white cheddar, Canadian Black Diamond
3 dashes Tabasco
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup Moosehead Canadian Ale, room temperature
salt and pepper to taste
1 TB thinly sliced chives

Method:

1. Cook the bacon in a large heavy-bottomed, non-reactive soup pot over medium heat until wilted but not browned.

2. Add onions, celery and carrots and cook until the onion is translucent and bacon has crisped.

3. Sprinkle in flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Stir in milk and stock, a little at a time, blending well to ensure there are no lumps. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

4. Remove from heat and whisk in cheese, Tabasco, Worcestershire and ale. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with your favorite bread and top with reserved bacon bits and chopped chives.

This soup is spot-on....sans pretzel breadsticks....really need to attempt making these <grin>.

BeerCheeseSoup.jpg

Crock Pot Corned Beef with Veggies a la Nikki ;)

3 1/2-4 lb. Corned Beef Brisket
3-4 Large Potatoes
1 Cabbage
1 Cup Carrots
1 Medium Onion
Beef Stock
Water

Cut potatoes, carrots, and onions. Layer them on the bottom of the Crock Pot. Rinse brisket and place on top of veggies. Add equal parts of beef stock and water so that it just covers the meat. Cook on LOW for eight hours. Remove veggies and brisket. Cover with foil to keep warm. Add cabbage (cut into quarters or smaller) and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes. Serve with Gulden's mustard.

Mmmmm! Yummy! :wizard:

I love this, but I add a can of saurkraut too it. We have it for St. Patty's day every year - I am still looking for a good soda bread recipe to go with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter