What's behind the magic kingdom?

AllieV

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
On the map showing all of the disney parks, hotels included (on the wdw site, I think), I see other things to the right and left of the "World" and on the far opposite side of the MK. But behind the MK, all I see is trees. Is there something there or is it just a bunch of empty land?

I'm asking because I'm wondering why they haven't built hotels closer to the MK on that side behind it. They have only expanded toward the front of MK.

Not far behind the MK is the border of WDW. Between the MK and property line is a lot of CM parking and support buildings. The MK was purposely built at the back of the property.

There is plenty of room elsewhere in the resort to build hotels.

There is actually quite a bit back there, and I believe the RCID district includes all the support buildings back there, all the way back to the large CM lot off Reams Road. There is more space back there, but it is "backstage" space. Seeing things from behind prove to be far less interesting than from the front.

There WERE plans for a resort off the the right of the MK between it and Bay Lake, called the Persian Resort, but like the Asian and Mediterranean resorts, they did not get built due to economics at the time.

I highly recommend Google Earth for getting an overhead view of WDW.

There is actually quite a bit back there, and I believe the RCID district includes all the support buildings back there, all the way back to the large CM lot off Reams Road. There is more space back there, but it is "backstage" space. Seeing things from behind prove to be far less interesting than from the front.

There WERE plans for a resort off the the right of the MK between it and Bay Lake, called the Persian Resort, but like the Asian and Mediterranean resorts, they did not get built due to economics at the time.

I highly recommend Google Earth for getting an overhead view of WDW.

kind of off topic, but wouldn't it be cool if they built a separate monorail hotel loop around bay lake. (however, I doubt this would happen, since the monorail expansion would cost $$$)

kind of off topic, but wouldn't it be cool if they built a separate monorail hotel loop around bay lake. (however, I doubt this would happen, since the monorail expansion would cost $$$)

Well, if the multi-million dollar homes they are building at the opposite end, and the (yet-to-be-started AFAIK) Four Seasons isn't enough to get them to do it, it ain't ever going to happen :)

Well, if the multi-million dollar homes they are building at the opposite end, and the (yet-to-be-started AFAIK) Four Seasons isn't enough to get them to do it, it ain't ever going to happen :)

well since they technically aren't "Disney" hotels, then I doubt they'd link them anyway. And another reason this would never happen (most likely) is the way the economy is, it's better to focus on value hotels (AoA hotel) then the deluxe hotels that would crop up around bay lake.

well since they technically aren't "Disney" hotels, then I doubt they'd link them anyway. And another reason this would never happen (most likely) is the way the economy is, it's better to focus on value hotels (AoA hotel) then the deluxe hotels that would crop up around bay lake.

FYI, Disney has some control over the homes, kinda like a homeowners association. As for the Four Seasons, they wanted them to come in - but like I said, as far as I know they haven't even started the building yet, so I'm not sure what's happening there.

FYI, Disney has some control over the homes, kinda like a homeowners association. As for the Four Seasons, they wanted them to come in - but like I said, as far as I know they haven't even started the building yet, so I'm not sure what's happening there.

Yeah, I haven't been paying attention to the building of those so much, but thanks for the info. Also, isn't the golf course on the opposite side of Bay Lake?

Yeah, I haven't been paying attention to the building of those so much, but thanks for the info. Also, isn't the golf course on the opposite side of Bay Lake?

I'm pretty sure the Golf Course that was over there is the property that Four Seasons and the new homes are going on. I think I recall hearing that they closed one of the courses and were planning to build on it.

There were two golf courses...Eagle Pines and Osprey Ridge. Eagle Pines is now gone and is part of the property being converted to Four Seasons/Golden Oaks, with Osprey Ridge sort of running through it.

You can drive around the Magic Kingdom if you want to. After crossing the MK Toll Plaza keep to your far right and follow the exit road instead of heading into the MK parking lot. It is still called World Drive at this juncture. Continue northbound past Seven Seas Drive, through the tunnel and past the Contemporary Resort. You'll pass a very obvious Space Mountain on your left and then the road curves directly to the west. Continue forward westbound; the road becomes Floridian Way and it eventually loops back around southbound. It passes the Grand Floridian, Polynesian and eventually you're back at the MK parking lot, the Hess station and southbound World Drive. Other than Space Mountain and perhaps a glimpse of the back of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, there is very little of MK to see.

This is open to the public.

BobK/Orlando

There is a sign just past the Contemporary that reads "Authorized vehicles only".

Pretty sure this means the backstage road is not "open to the public".

I'm also pretty sure that Disney has made either some kind of pledge to the state and environmental groups, or has a program with Florida's EPA to keep a certain percentage of the property preserved open space and/ or wetlands. Looking at it, areas around MK and the other parks are the perfect spaces to have that and not only preserve nature, but preserve the "experience" which was one of the main reasons Walt bought so much property in the first place.

Plus there are a number of areas that are considered "unbuildable" anyways, due to protected status, or suitability, etc.

I'm pretty sure the Golf Course that was over there is the property that Four Seasons and the new homes are going on. I think I recall hearing that they closed one of the courses and were planning to build on it.

if you look at google earth it appears a golf course ( no idea which one) is located not too far from the banks of bay lake.

if you look at google earth it appears a golf course ( no idea which one) is located not too far from the banks of bay lake.

Yup, the GE images are from a year ago. Eagle Pines is already gone - what is left is Osprey Ridge.

Supposedly the Four Seasons will assume control of the course when the hotel is completed. I did find something that says "2013", so maybe it is still happening - but for something like the Four Seasons there should be something noticeable starting soon if not already to make that date...

Yup, the GE images are from a year ago. Eagle Pines is already gone - what is left is Osprey Ridge.

Supposedly the Four Seasons will assume control of the course when the hotel is completed. I did find something that says "2013", so maybe it is still happening - but for something like the Four Seasons there should be something noticeable starting soon if not already to make that date...

I didn't even think of looking at the date of the image (whoops :lmao:).

While we're talking about MK, and the surrounding area, let me post a question that I heard on another thread.

The Grand Floridian needs a walkway to MK. If you look at satellite images, there appears to be a path that goes to a waterway, and stops. I have also heard that the electric water pageant originates from there, so they can't go over the water.

So, I'll end my story of facts you may or may not have known and ask, is there another way to get the water pageant boats out, or is that the only way.

You try try looking at Bing Maps, with the aerial view, you can see roads and homes going up.

I didn't even think of looking at the date of the image (whoops :lmao:).

While we're talking about MK, and the surrounding area, let me post a question that I heard on another thread.

The Grand Floridian needs a walkway to MK. If you look at satellite images, there appears to be a path that goes to a waterway, and stops. I have also heard that the electric water pageant originates from there, so they can't go over the water.

So, I'll end my story of facts you may or may not have known and ask, is there another way to get the water pageant boats out, or is that the only way.

I've never heard it actually confirmed, but it sure does look like they intended for there to be a pedestrian bridge going over that canal. But it is the only way in or out of that canal. The other end is backstage and connects with the riverboat area.

You try try looking at Bing Maps, with the aerial view, you can see roads and homes going up.

Right...the homes are not the Four Seasons hotel though...the hotel is supposed to be somewhere in there, but there hasn't been any indication that they've started the hotel. I'll have a closer look a bit later.

Right...the homes are not the Four Seasons hotel though...the hotel is supposed to be somewhere in there, but there hasn't been any indication that they've started the hotel. I'll have a closer look a bit later.

Are they going to have WDW transportation?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter