• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Whatever happened to all the ADD/ADHD kids?

I am unable to open your link where I am right now so I cannot read the article about French kids.

I grew up in a time where ADHD was real, but was not labeled and for the few doctors who did know that it was a "thing," medications were yet to be prescribed. My DH had it (and still does as an adult but is in a profession that works well with it), he was NEVER a behavior problem, nor were his non-ADHD siblings. Parenting was not a factor. He could NOT stop moving, and still cannot. He was "treated" with coffee and being tied up in a chair. Today he has a very physical job, he's one of the most reliable employees in his company, and he has completed several triathalons and popular marathons. He is in his 50s.

My next door neighbor (one of three children) also had it and had awful times in school (never treated). Not sure whatever happened to him but looking back, I feel so bad that he had to live through it without some help.

One of my employees (a 64 year old man) was diagnosed with ADHD when he was in his 40s and his son was being diagnosed. Again, never a behavior problem that was due to a parenting "role" but immense anguish in the classroom.

What do I think? The U.S. system of education is cookie cutter and not conducive to people who learn physically (or kinetically). I think other school systems may do better with different types of learners. I do not believe that ADHD is a true disorder. I think it is a variant of "normal" and it is a different way the brain works. Evolutionary-wise, it was probably very advantageous for something and, if an ADHD person can make it through the "jail" of school (for them), they are often brilliant, creative people to have in your employ.

Wonderfully stated. :thumbsup2

I am unable to open your link where I am right now so I cannot read the article about French kids.

I grew up in a time where ADHD was real, but was not labeled and for the few doctors who did know that it was a "thing," medications were yet to be prescribed. My DH had it (and still does as an adult but is in a profession that works well with it), he was NEVER a behavior problem, nor were his non-ADHD siblings. Parenting was not a factor. He could NOT stop moving, and still cannot. He was "treated" with coffee and being tied up in a chair. Today he has a very physical job, he's one of the most reliable employees in his company, and he has completed several triathalons and popular marathons. He is in his 50s.

My next door neighbor (one of three children) also had it and had awful times in school (never treated). Not sure whatever happened to him but looking back, I feel so bad that he had to live through it without some help.

One of my employees (a 64 year old man) was diagnosed with ADHD when he was in his 40s and his son was being diagnosed. Again, never a behavior problem that was due to a parenting "role" but immense anguish in the classroom.

What do I think? The U.S. system of education is cookie cutter and not conducive to people who learn physically (or kinetically). I think other school systems may do better with different types of learners. I do not believe that ADHD is a true disorder. I think it is a variant of "normal" and it is a different way the brain works. Evolutionary-wise, it was probably very advantageous for something and, if an ADHD person can make it through the "jail" of school (for them), they are often brilliant, creative people to have in your employ.

I love this! It's what I believe also. It's not a disorder to me, at least not in my DS or DH, both diagnosed with ADD. Their brains work differently, not better or worse, just a little different. DS10 is smart, a straight A student. He knows he thinks a little differently. He is not on medication. I feel like the million things going on in his brain at the same time, make him super creative. he's always thinking. We make some mild accommodations for him and accept that he is who he is. And sometimes he just has to get up and move around. :-) No behavior problems in DS or DH. DH struggled in school and was medicated. He is successful, found a career that works well with his brain chemistry.

Coffee and tied to a chair!!! Holy cow. That must have been awful. When you get a chance, open the link at home. It is pretty good and I have read like material from other sources as well. From the parenting point, I wasn't referring to beating your kid or anything like that. It explains it in the link but French families are much more structured than those here in America. It does mention spanking when it is necessary as a good thing. One of the other articles that I can't find talked about adjusting the types of food children are given or have taken away. I have seen this work personally in multiple children. Changing children's stimuli also contributes to better controlling of this disorder.

As someone who was in education recently, I can tell you it is much different than just 10 years ago. There is a lot more hands on physical type structure in most of the subject areas now. STEM academies are really good at this and they are growing exponentially. If you walked into a school today that is changing you might think the classrooms are out of control but it is actually the way "they" are moving education. Long gone are the days where you sit for 45 minutes, take notes, and then go to your next class which I believe is a good thing.

When I was teaching, kids with ADD who had major problems 99% of the time came from families that had no to little structure and basically had run of the house. It was the same ol story, "I can't control him/her at home" Well, you could if new how or just took control by changing a few things. Those who did much better, not all the time, but most came from a more structured environment.

Yes. Some people do make these labels up. I know of several people who have "Doctor Hopped" until they got the dx they wanted for their children. It is an odd phenomena.

Now, of course, if a child truly does have a real dx, that does not apply to you. In fact, I am sure you know a few people who push their "My child has xyz disorder" agenda. I am sure it is very frustrating to watch the Munchausen Mommies spin their tales.
Lots of those on here. They seem to brag almost if their child has one of the alphabet conditions. If mine did it wouldn't be something I would brag about or let every one know about. Almost seems to be a badge of honor around here.

Lots of those on here. They seem to brag almost if their child has one of the alphabet conditions. If mine did it wouldn't be something I would brag about or let every one know about. Almost seems to be a badge of honor around here.

I can only come to the conclusion that your posting goal is to irritate people.

Having ADHD, Autism, Depression, Anxiety, you name it, are not things to be ashamed of.

But you can try, and it seems many don't.

Major Depressive Disorder - and indeed Dysthymia - are strange beasts. Many sufferers do not believe they can get better, a horrible complication of said illnesses. Of course it helps the prognosis if the patient is dead set on recovering, but in many cases the patient has to be convinced they can recover. The most common pathway for this is through therapy, often CBT.

Trust me here.

I can only come to the conclusion that your posting goal is to irritate people.

Having ADHD, Autism, Depression, Anxiety, you name it, are not things to be ashamed of.
Never said they were and I agree. But what I did say is many seem to almost brag about it, or somehow be proud about it. And that I can't figure out. There are many examples on this forum.

Major Depressive Disorder - and indeed Dysthymia - are strange beasts. Many sufferers do not believe they can get better, a horrible complication of said illnesses. Of course it helps the prognosis if the patient is dead set on recovering, but in many cases the patient has to be convinced they can recover. The most common pathway for this is through therapy, often CBT.

Trust me here.
I agree with you. One must try. Many don't seem to and seem to feel sorry for themselves and mope around. Sometimes one needs to just make their mind up to get out of bed and get going.

I agree with you. One must try. Many don't seem to and seem to feel sorry for themselves and mope around. Sometimes one needs to just make their mind up to get out of bed and get going.

It's not really a case of moping around - self defeatism is a symptom of MDD. That's where medication comes in - it acts as a protecting umbrella, allowing the patient to attack their illness through therapy.

When I was teaching, kids with ADD who had major problems 99% of the time came from families that had no to little structure and basically had run of the house. It was the same ol story, "I can't control him/her at home" Well, you could if new how or just took control by changing a few things. Those who did much better, not all the time, but most came from a more structured environment.

I guess this is the side ADHD, I don't see. I never think of ADHD as a "control" issue or behavior issue, although it certainly can be for those that have no impulse control. A good psychiatrist/neurologist can easily weed that out. It's when a child is supposed to be on task and they just can't mentally do it (which has nothing to do with getting up and running around the room). It's sitting down and trying to rid a book and losing so much focus that you keep rereading lines over and over. It's sitting in a classroom listening to a lecture on the Civil War that you love but the cheap, loud ticking clock overwhelms the lecture and you can't pay attention. Or, it is sitting in your chair after three hours and feeling so physically restless that the compulsion to shake your foot or leg, or click your pen is overwhelming. Many adults with ADHD have learned incredible restraint, but a 6 year old generally does not have it.

But I do know that many misbehaving children with parents who can't deal with it look to find some easy answers.

Never said they were and I agree. But what I did say is many seem to almost brag about it, or somehow be proud about it. And that I can't figure out. There are many examples on this forum.

Art1, I have seen that occasionally too. Mainly on the internet, no so much in person. I think many parents who do have a child with a "disorder" or serious problem are scared. And they are constantly getting beat up or smirked at by others. All I can figure is that it is a self-defense mechanism to sort of stand up for their child and try to convince people to accept them. So they are open about it and sort of really start to own it. I guess. It's really hard for me to believe that these folks are truly bragging. I think it's just more of a defense mechanism.

It's not really a case of moping around - self defeatism is a symptom of MDD. That's where medication comes in - it acts as a protecting umbrella, allowing the patient to attack their illness through therapy.
A better job needs to be done for treating people with this, especially in the USA.

Art1, I have seen that occasionally too. Mainly on the internet, no so much in person. I think many parents who do have a child with a "disorder" or serious problem are scared. And they are constantly getting beat up or smirked at by others. All I can figure is that it is a self-defense mechanism to sort of stand up for their child and try to convince people to accept them. So they are open about it and sort of really start to own it. I guess. It's really hard for me to believe that these folks are truly bragging. I think it's just more of a defense mechanism.
I don't know what it is, but it's life and one just has to deal with it and not feel sorry for themselves.

[QUOTE="IndyRnRfan, post:

When I was teaching, kids with ADD who had major problems 99% of the time came from families that had no to little structure and basically had run of the house. It was the same ol story, "I can't control him/her at home" Well, you could if new how or just took control by changing a few things. Those who did much better, not all the time, but most came from a more structured environment.[/QUOTE]
A Kindergarden teacher of many years told me that she mainly sees it in children of young un-wed mothers or children of mothers who seem to really want their child to have the condition for some reason. Attention maybe.

Whatever happened to arthritis? Remember when people used to "have arthritis" and then we found out it was just an agenda being pushed by the freemasons?

Oh, and chickenpox. Funny how that one went away after it "killed FDR".

I had 10 doctors diagnose me with post-partem depression. Turned out to plain old meningitis.

I'm just telling it like it is. Sick of the PC garbage.

I've known several people in recent years who've had great success treating their Depression. Jerky Personality Syndrome is sadly still mostly untreatable. Maybe the Psych Doctors will eventually figure it out.

I think half the battle is UNDERSTANDING psychiatric disorders such as MDD, Schizophrenia, PTSD and so on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter