whatcha think of this: party question

HOGFAN

DIS Veteran
my boss's husband is throwing her a surprise 50th birthday party. He is supercheap. The invitation says....

Please bring finger food. Beverages will be provided.

So he means for everyone else to spend $$ on appetizers while he spends a couple bucks on Kroger soda. Im positive no alcohol will be served as 'he' thinks it is the devils brew.

BTW, Im not planning on going unless I get a bad case of the 'guilts' at the last minute. Our office is taking her out to a surprise brunch the weekend before(a drag-queen brunch which Im sure he will have something to say about when he finds out afterwards).

I think it is common for people to bring something to share for a party. If you like your boss...go for her sake. Maybe he thought it would be hard to surprise her if he was buying food or preparing food? At least he's having a party for her!

That is really outrageous and I wouldn't go either. I feel bad for your boss when she finds out what he did.

Now, what the heck is a drag queen brunch? Sounds like fun!:woohoo:

Okay, I just have to ask, what is a drag queen brunch?????:confused3

my boss's husband is throwing her a surprise 50th birthday party. He is supercheap. The invitation says....

Please bring finger food. Beverages will be provided.

So he means for everyone else to spend $$ on appetizers while he spends a couple bucks on Kroger soda. Im positive no alcohol will be served as 'he' thinks it is the devils brew.

BTW, Im not planning on going unless I get a bad case of the 'guilts' at the last minute. Our office is taking her out to a surprise brunch the weekend before(a drag-queen brunch which Im sure he will have something to say about when he finds out afterwards).
I don't think it's uncommon to bring some kind of appetizers (Sam's club has some great ones) also I'd be surprised if he just providing soda. Maybe he won't have alcohol but I'm guessing he's doing more then soda.

I'm not sure which would be worse. Telling her ahead of time about the invitation, or waiting until the party and her finding out that day what he did.

every Sunday a local restaurant has a drag-queen brunch. It is VERY popular. You have to get there early on Sunday to get your name on the list. Thankfully one of my coworkers knows the owner, so no problem.
The place has a stage and you can eat while listening/watching the drag queens do Cher, Diana Ross,etc. Its suppose to be great fun!

I don't think it's a big deal. If you like your boss, just bring an appetizer and share her 50th birthday (which is a big deal.) Maybe I'm not miss manners, but I think it's counterproductive to worry about social niceties such as these.

I'm not really sure what the big deal is - people always ask if they can bring things- or what they can do to help when we have had parties (ex- DH 30th- people brought what they wanted, foods, and beverages)

If you like your boss I would just bring something and go.

Drag Queen brunch sounds so much fun.

My sister's cheap neighbor threw his wife a surprise party. Two days before the party, another neighbor informed my sister that she was in charge of the cake (she wasn't asked, and was told through this third party). It was a "trailer trash" party, and she was told the cake had to be out of hostess cupcakes and twinkies. My sister was also hosting a party for MIL that afternoon. Men! I'd be livid if my DH hosted a surprise party for me, and I found out he made all of the guests bring something! I don't mind potluck, but not for a birthday party.

I think that this is tacky. In my family, we have parties like this on holidays and reunions where everyone brings something. I have also done the same with friends when we get together. It is usually organized by whoever is having it at their house so that there is a variety of things. I don't think this type of party is appropriate for a boss's husband to throw and then tell the wife's employees to bring food. It is his wife and her 50th..........get it catered at least, or have close friends and family help with the food. Go to Costco and get a few big boxes of appetizer foods. If cost is an issue, then he should do something special but inexpensive for her, just the two of them. Bringing something to a party is normal and not a big deal, but it has to be done appropriately.

Make a quickie app., go to the party, and chalk it up to life! For her sake. It'll be good for a nice chuckle in time!

I am guessing that boss's husband has no clue that this is tacky, and he also probably has no clue how to prepare a spread for a party. If you like your boss, buy a box of appetizers from Sams and heat them up when you get there. Consider it a gift to your boss, she has to live with this guy remember. Since it is a surprise party, she had no idea what he is doing, and when no one shows up because of his gaffe..she will find out and be mortified. Is this her fault? Not at all, but SHE will be the one that feels bad.

I want to go to a Drag Queen brunch.:thumbsup2

Don't you know that most men don't know how to plan a suprise party..ha , I wouldn't let this be a big deal for not attending, just bring something lite if you want.

By the way I have been to a drag-queen brunch, super fun and very very entertaining, worth the money, one person that did madonna, looked better than the real thing..heehee

I agree that most men don't know how to plan a party, but most men do know how to open up some bags of chips, buy a huge sub to split up and some chicken wings.

I think it is rude to ask your guests to bring the food. It is different if you are having a get together or a holiday celebration, but anytime a gift is involved, the guest shouldn't have to bring anything more. Just my 2 cents.

The OP obviously knows the husband and if she says he is cheap, then he probably is and it's not a case of being ignorant as to how to throw a party. Doesn't she have sisters or close girlfriends he can ask for guidance?

I would kill him if he was my husband and I found out he had people bring food!
There is a drag queen place we go to in NYC for Dinner-what a blast we have there!

every Sunday a local restaurant has a drag-queen brunch. It is VERY popular. You have to get there early on Sunday to get your name on the list. Thankfully one of my coworkers knows the owner, so no problem.
The place has a stage and you can eat while listening/watching the drag queens do Cher, Diana Ross,etc. Its suppose to be great fun!

OT, but is this Godfrey's? I'd never heard of it, til a group of friends went last month. They said it was a blast!!

The only reason I would be mad at my husband about this is if he invited people to a party for me that weren't close enough to WANT to bring food. With our close friends, we always do potluck so it wouldn't be weird at all. At our potluck gatherings though the host does provide the majority of the food - guests just round it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter