What'cha bet HP will end the Uni/Dis factions

Please no-one flame me!!!

On the note of magic and hapiness and all that.......every year when I go to Florida with my family, we always walk around the park and look for people smiling- and it takes a very long time!! People in Disney look quite miserable.

My thoughts on miserable people and Disney "magic" is that some of the things Disney does are spectacular, like the Wishes fireworks show, but having been around a few crowds seeing it, so many people are trying to avoid the crowds, or moving through, or discipling their children, trying to get a good view, etc. that it doesn't seem like they're able to enjoy it.

Plus a lot of them have been there all day and are tired and cranky by then.

I think its better (at any park) to go offseason, plan your day well, dont spend 12 hours there if you've got several days available to spend.

My thoughts on miserable people and Disney "magic" is that some of the things Disney does are spectacular, like the Wishes fireworks show, but having been around a few crowds seeing it, so many people are trying to avoid the crowds, or moving through, or discipling their children, trying to get a good view, etc. that it doesn't seem like they're able to enjoy it.

Plus a lot of them have been there all day and are tired and cranky by then.

I think its better (at any park) to go offseason, plan your day well, dont spend 12 hours there if you've got several days available to spend.

Yes that's true. I've only been to Disney in July so there have always been heavy crowds. I only go to parks in the morning and some nights so maybe the people were tired and not morning people but it was like NOBODY was smiling or laughing or looking like they were having a good time (Im going to try and take pics this holiday). Maybe it's different in low season- I'd like to see that.

i don't see what is wrong with liking both of them.

I have only ever been Florida once before and that was probably nearly 10 years ago. I am looking forward to both Disney and Universal and hopefully will enjoy them both. :cool1:

I have only ever been Florida once before and that was probably nearly 10 years ago. I am looking forward to both Disney and Universal and hopefully will enjoy them both. :cool1:

...and with that open-minded attitude...you will!:)

Yep that was partly what I was trying to say, bet the new HP section makes Universal more crowded, unfortunately, but at least it will ensure Uni success which may lead to more attractions etc.

As for the "magic" factor, I've always felt as much if not more "magic" at IOA than Dis, but like them both. IOA is very magical to me, the music as you walk in by the lighthouse, "The Adventure Begins" sign thing over the arch, that music and architecture there (as well as all the sections) just puts me in another world that is the most important thing for me in theme parks, gotta Luv my IOA, be there in about 7 days, can't wait!!!!!!!!

The argument from the OP sounds good, but won't hold up. Meaning there will still be Disney fanatics who are brainwashed. Why?
Because Disney starts at the baby age. Babies grow up in Disney rooms. They visit the parks when the kids turn 2-4, and keep going back year after year. The parents do this as a way to show they've figured out Disney. They read the travel books about the parks and become commandos.

How many babies grow up in Universal rooms? Not many. Why? Because Universal doesn't have ONE character representing them, rather a bunch of movies and different characters. How many people do you think will plaster a baby room in Shrek, Jimmy Neutron, Spiderman, ET, Dr. Doom, Hulk, and Harry Potter? Sure, they may put a poster or two up, but the room is not Universal. Now, how many people plaster the babies room with Disney stuff? A lot.

The brainwashing starts when the kids are babies and it will continue. I haven't visited a baby store in a while, but I bet they're all still Disney. If Universal really wanted to brainwash people into visiting, they would make deals with baby stores all over to get their characters in the stores. It's not just stuffed animals either. It's everything, from lights, cribs, stuff that hangs on walls, toys, you name it.

Don forget about the Busch parks -- SeaWorld/Discovery Cove/Aquatica and nearby Busch Gardens. I think they too are fighting for a niche.

our house is decorated with a lot of steamboat willie/early 30's Mickey. the magic kingdom is one of my favorite parks. with the exception of the tower of terror and fantasmic, the rest of WDW to me anymore is a giant shopping mall. we still go quite a few times a year, but the illusion of Disney 'Magic' pretty much stops at the magic kingdom.

The argument from the OP sounds good, but won't hold up. Meaning there will still be Disney fanatics who are brainwashed. Why?
Because Disney starts at the baby age. Babies grow up in Disney rooms. They visit the parks when the kids turn 2-4, and keep going back year after year. The parents do this as a way to show they've figured out Disney. They read the travel books about the parks and become commandos.

How many babies grow up in Universal rooms? Not many. Why? Because Universal doesn't have ONE character representing them, rather a bunch of movies and different characters. How many people do you think will plaster a baby room in Shrek, Jimmy Neutron, Spiderman, ET, Dr. Doom, Hulk, and Harry Potter? Sure, they may put a poster or two up, but the room is not Universal. Now, how many people plaster the babies room with Disney stuff? A lot.

The brainwashing starts when the kids are babies and it will continue. I haven't visited a baby store in a while, but I bet they're all still Disney. If Universal really wanted to brainwash people into visiting, they would make deals with baby stores all over to get their characters in the stores. It's not just stuffed animals either. It's everything, from lights, cribs, stuff that hangs on walls, toys, you name it.

My parents brainwashed me to be universal. When i was a kid, they tied me to a chair with my eyelids pried open, where I had to watch an extremely long video of universal characters in fast sequence, images of Universal movies, spiderman, Jurassic Park etc., when I tried to go to sleep I was awoken and given sleep depredation by forcing me to stay awake and continue to watch the videos. I didn't mind though, I'm a full fledged Universal freak and I love it.:woohoo:

I am looking forward to both Disney and Universal and hopefully will enjoy them both.
I live in the New York area (Fairfield County CT). The Disney/Universal preference is just like Mets/Yankees. I am huge Mets fan. My second favorite team is any team playing the Yankess. ALL Mets fans hate the Yankees. I can literally turn on a Yankee game and get into routing for the Devil Rays. But most Yankee fans are indifferent about the Mets and don't care one way or another.

Since coming over to these boards I have noticed ALOT of USO fans knocking Disney but on the other side, not so much. I think most Disney fans can enjoy USO. But the way these parks are set up, it is very difficult to do both. There is a reason MYW tix are practically free after the 4th day and why USO offers $86 for the whole week. To keep you away from the other's park. But if you want to do both, it is very difficult and expensive. I wanted to do Sea World this trip but just can't budget it. Really it is a shame. If there were cost effective options, I would do all three everytime, but if you have a preference, it is hard to pass it up on that preferred park especially when you come down once a year or every other year like us.

I live in the New York area (Fairfield County CT). The Disney/Universal preference is just like Mets/Yankees. I am huge Mets fan. My second favorite team is any team playing the Yankess. ALL Mets fans hate the Yankees. I can literally turn on a Yankee game and get into routing for the Devil Rays. But most Yankee fans are indifferent about the Mets and don't care one way or another.

Since coming over to these boards I have noticed ALOT of USO fans knocking Disney but on the other side, not so much. I think most Disney fans can enjoy USO. But the way these parks are set up, it is very difficult to do both. There is a reason MYW tix are practically free after the 4th day and why USO offers $86 for the whole week. To keep you away from the other's park. But if you want to do both, it is very difficult and expensive. I wanted to do Sea World this trip but just can't budget it. Really it is a shame. If there were cost effective options, I would do all three everytime, but if you have a preference, it is hard to pass it up on that preferred park especially when you come down once a year or every other year like us.

Agree, it is a budget-buster to visit both WDW & U in one trip.

wouldn't surprise me to see U offering free transportation (ala MYW Express) & perhaps a better thought out meal plan (including more TS in the parks/Citiwalk/resorts) to lure those who are accustomed to it @ Disney.

HP area & possible onsite waterpark expansion; certainly would tempt new blood & more onsite guests devoting a whole trip (or a majority of it) @ U.

I do know that the BOGO year free on the Universal APs swayed us enough to just buy a 4 day base MYW tix (UndercoverTourist discounted it & threw in 2 free days) in lieu of our $100 DVC discounted WDW APs that we usually purchase for WDW.

Would be interesting to know if there are more going this route in the future?

You know...yesterday at IOA when I was purchasing lunch and showed my AP, I actually got a discount AT the park and I thought...That doesn't happen at Disney! Sorry....just had to! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I go to Orlando once a year (I'm very lucky). My family try to fit in as much as possible to make for a great holiday with great memories (we can handle the 'get up early everyday and go to bed late' thing because we are 16, 19 and 21)

We do.....all Disney parks, Universal, IOA, Seaworld, Busch Gardens plus all of the small stuff like Wonderworks, Old Town etc.

We enjoy them all- yes we have favourites, everyone has favourites. We would only spend 4 days at Disney- one day for each park because it stresses us out. Too many people and the rides are ok but we prefer bigger rides that we can get at Universal. We prefer Universal but that doesn't mean we hate Disney, it just comes second.

Since coming over to these boards I have noticed ALOT of USO fans knocking Disney but on the other side, not so much.

wow, you must have missed it all then, there's a LOT of threads of Disney fans bashing Universal

wow, you must have missed it all then, there's a LOT of threads of Disney fans bashing Universal

I come here to get excited about my upcoming Universal trip, and it's like some people can't post a solid thread without referring to Disney in some way. Is there not enough of Universal to talk about? If it weren't for Disney, there would be 25% less posting here!

Yes, I feel the Disney magic, and yes it's steel and concrete, but to the poster who made that comment, if you yourself don't feel it, why mock those of us who do? I get tears in my eyes when go to Disney, it's very nostalgic for me, and makes me feel good. Should I be put in an insane asylum??

I've been to Universal twice, and had a fantastic time, and looking forward to my third this December, but geez, I'm beginning to get turned off by this board. But I'll keep reading here, because I really am getting excited about my trip, and there's no other susbtantial Universal board out there.

As for Harry Potter, I don't think in terms of Disney vs Universal. I'm not a HP fan, but I still can't wait to see what they're going to put up. But I'm sure it's going to be fantastic, since everything UO has done has been a hit. I'd love for Uni to build a HP on-site hotel; that would be awesome!

Since coming over to these boards I have noticed ALOT of USO fans knocking Disney but on the other side, not so much. I think most Disney fans can enjoy USO.

You must have then missed the IOA is just another county fair thread - the CM's at Universal are clueless threads - my favorite - the my disney passes are blacked out so went to Universal but hated every minute cause it wasn't disney thread - the parking is free at disney (as compared to $12/night at Universal but disney hotels are a lot more expensive) threads- the CityWalk is not safe cause by brother in laws daughters friend got hit on thread - The will I be safe at City Walk thread - The CityWalk is not DTD disney thread - The Front of line passes (the ones sold) at Universal are not as good as fastpass thread - The I went to universal at the last minute without knowing a darned thing about Universal and had a terrible time thread. This is only the beginning and all of the above threads did happen. None of it was made up- perhaps exaggerated but not made up.

You must have then missed the IOA is just another county fair thread - the CM's at Universal are clueless threads - my favorite - the my disney passes are blacked out so went to Universal but hated every minute cause it wasn't disney thread - the parking is free at disney (as compared to $12/night at Universal but disney hotels are a lot more expensive) threads- the CityWalk is not safe cause by brother in laws daughters friend got hit on thread - The will I be safe at City Walk thread - The CityWalk is not DTD disney thread - The Front of line passes (the ones sold) at Universal are not as good as fastpass thread - The I went to universal at the last minute without knowing a darned thing about Universal and had a terrible time thread. This is only the beginning and all of the above threads did happen. None of it was made up- perhaps exaggerated but not made up.

I remember the "I was in Universal for 15 mins and left because it was so bad" thread, and probably the most obvious one was about the commercial featuring the girl hurling at princesses...that was a RABID one!!

I remember the "I was in Universal for 15 mins and left because it was so bad" thread, and probably the most obvious one was about the commercial featuring the girl hurling at princesses...that was a RABID one!!

Never read that one- want to now!! Cant find it though. :confused:

1 week to go!! :banana:

We like USO/IOA, and we are Disneyholics. We don't go to US near as much as WDW. But US is always a good time too. :cool1: They have special areas that exceed Disney, and always will. Even their in park dining choices are better. It's nice not to have a SPREAD out park to wander through. They are a good size.
We appreciate and visit other attractions, when time allows.
STILL have not gone to Sea World or Busch Gardens. But plan to once the weather cools down a bit.
Right now we don't go to any park all that much due to the heat and crowds. When we can go most anytime, we are just more selective on when and where we do go.
I don't like the parking at all at US, from waiting in a long car line (because they have to swipe every card :sad2: ) to the parking, and the escalators and (non)moving conveyors. (Is there ever a time they all are working at once?) And parking is often a free for all. But if those are my biggest complaints, that is not saying much. popcorn::
I think HP is a great cxombination with US. They needed that and they are doing better than I am sure Disney would.

With the moving conveyor belts, they have always worked for me. But I think that is because I'm always there is July/start of August so its peak time??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter