What you CAN bring on the plane

Here is the reply I got from CATSA today.

Dear Ms.*****

On behalf of the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA), we thank you for your e-mail dated January 6, 2010, in which you enquired about the application of carry-on restrictions.

Current security measures stipulate that passengers are permitted to transport personal items such as small purses and laptop computers as carry-on. Purses that are 25 cm x 30 cm x 14 cm or less will be permitted through the screening checkpoint. Laptops can be transported in cases such as a neoprene sleeve case.

With respect to small electronic devices such as iPods, cell phones, and headphones, these items would be permitted as their size allows them to be carried in a small purse or pocket. Reading material may also be carried onboard.

Unfortunately, your question regarding the stroller does not fall under CATSA’s purview; we therefore suggest that you contact your air carrier.

#1. Can I bring my camera bag as well as my purse. - YES

#2. can my daughter bring her DS and her netbook in her small bag. - YES

#3. Can my husband put a book and the GPS in his laptop bag. – YES – slim bag not a big backpack.

#4. Can we still bring our own headphones. – YES in the small purse

#5. Are we allowed to bring books on board if they go into our one bag – YES in the small purse

#6. In keeping with the liquids restrictions, can we still bring toothpaste,brush and a pair of clean underwear in our one personal bag. – YES, in small purse

#7. Are strollers still allowed – See reply above.

Further information regarding these measures is available at the following URL: http://www.catsa.gc.ca/Page.aspx?ID=77&pname=measures_mesures&lang=en

We thank you for your feedback and wish you a safe and enjoyable flight.

Client Satisfaction / Satisfaction des clients

Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) /

Administration canadienne de la sûreté du transport aérien (ACSTA)

Toll free 1-888-294-2202 (8:30-17:00 ET)

Facsimile / télécopieur: 613-991-4163

The numbered questions were ones that I had asked and their response is at the end. It may answer some questions for some of you.

I would suggest that you print that email out and take it with you to the airport so that if somebody disputes any of it, you have that to show them.

Gah, this is hurting my brain, but at least it seems to be a little more reasonable than it seemed in the first few days. I'm glad they've decided that magazines are not a threat. ;) Thanks for that last link NeverlandPixie.

I've read the whole thread, but just to clarify, if I bring say, a camera case/ laptop case/diaper-bag that falls within the regulations, am I allowed to put other things besides the camera/laptop/diaper stuff in it as well if they fit (e.g. magazines, a change of underwear?)

Gah, this is hurting my brain, but at least it seems to be a little more reasonable than it seemed in the first few days. I'm glad they've decided that magazines are not a threat. ;) Thanks for that last link NeverlandPixie.

I've read the whole thread, but just to clarify, if I bring say, a camera case/ laptop case/diaper-bag that falls within the regulations, am I allowed to put other things besides the camera/laptop/diaper stuff in it as well if they fit (e.g. magazines, a change of underwear?)

Yes.

No. The change of underwear might be a problem. Or it might not be. From what I hear, extra clothes is a big no no though.

THIS is the problem. It appears that people are interpreting the rules any way they want. So, the short answer to your question is.... maybe. You won't know until you get there. Bad answer but the CATSA guy at the security checkpoint (the first one) is the one who is going to answer that question for you.

The way it's being handled is inconsistent.

Some people may be circumventing this by wearing layers of clothes. LOL So, if you want to bring extra underwear with you, wear a couple and once you get past the second checkpoint, go to the restroom and delayer. Yes, this is what we've been reduced to doing. :confused3

Found this posted on the Air Canada website.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/trav_adv/091230.html

Carry-on Limits for Flights from Canada to the U.S. and Revised Checked Bag Policy effective January 19, 2010

MONTRÉAL, January 18, 2010 -- Air Canada and Jazz remind customers that new security measures imposed by Canadian and U.S. government authorities on flights from Canada to the U.S. remain in effect until further notice. As a result of these rules there are strict limits in effect for carry-on articles allowed in the cabin and longer security screening times at airports.

Air Canada advises passengers that the new regulations do not permit carry-on bags on flights to the United States (including Puerto Rico), with only limited personal items allowed in the cabin.

Air Canada also reminds passengers that on Tuesday, January 19, 2010, a revised checked baggage policy announced December 2, 2009 takes effect for travellers to the U.S. and Europe. The changes more closely align Air Canada’s policies with those prevailing among international carriers on transatlantic routes and are more generous than those of U.S. carriers on transborder routes, which charge for all checked bags. Air Canada will permit travellers one free checked bag for travel to these destinations. With certain exceptions, a second bag fee will be applied as follows for tickets purchased on or after December 23, 2009:

For flights to/from the U.S. (including Hawaii, excluding Puerto Rico): CAD/USD $30
For flights to/from Europe CAD/USD $50.
For more details and exceptions for this policy please see www.aircanada.com

Air Canada recommends that customers flying to the U.S. bring only limited baggage and respect the strict carry-on limits imposed by Canadian and U.S. authorities. For details on permitted carry-on items please consult the Government of Canada’s “Update on Canadian Aviation Security Measures” at www.tc.gc.ca

From Canada to the U.S. Checked bags Carry-on
(including briefcases) Personal items allowed in the cabin

Normal allowance

No
1 or more personal items
Maximum weight of 10kg (22lb).

Important: Please consult Transport Canada guidelines or visit the CATSA website for details on permissible carry-on items such as:

small purse* or pouch: 25cm x 30cm x 14cm (10 in. x 12 in. x 5.5 in.)
book, magazine
small electronic device such as cell phone or MP3 player
diaper bag
laptop computer (in regular carrying case)*
camera
musical instrument
cane, crutches, walker, special needs item
medical device
medication

*larger purses, briefcases, attaché cases and laptops in suitcases or ‘on wheels’ are not allowed.

Pets in the cabin are also allowed (as per usual eligibility rules).

When travelling from the U.S., normal allowance applies both for carry-on and checked baggage.

If you are travelling from Canada to the U.S., we recommend that you:

check the status of your flight online before going to the airport;
arrive well in advance of normal check-in times to allow for additional personal searches.
Under new rules enacted by Transport Canada and the U.S. Transportation Security Administration, passengers and their carry-on items will be subject to full searches at airport screening points.

Good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

effective january 20, 2010, transport canada will ease the carry-on baggage restrictions for customers traveling to the united states. You are allowed one standard article as defined below:

The maximum size of the standard article is 23cm x 40cm x 55cm with a maximum weight of 22kg.

The definition of standard article is a roller bag or backpack or a briefcase.

In addition to the standard article, you are allowed to bring 1 or more of the following items:

* small purse
* coat or outerwear
* diaper bag, when travelling with an infant
* duty-free purchases
* crutches, canes, walkers
* medical equipment
* special needs items for customers
* musical instruments
* computer bag with laptop and accessories only
* camera bag with camera and accessories only

the above will be enforced strictly.

Website will be updated shortly with the above but thought you all would welcome the good news!

Carry-on policy remains unchanged for all other destinations:

1 standard article as defined above + 1 personal article.
(http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin.../carry-on.html)

a summary of our checked baggage policy is as follows:

Domestic: 3 bags for executive class and 2 bags for economy class.
Transborder (including hawaii): 3 bags for executive class and 1 bag for economy class (2nd bag fee is cad $30)
europe: 3 bags for executive first and 1 bag for economy class (2nd bag fee is cad $50)
international (except europe): 3 bags for executive first and 2 bags for economy class.

This was from Flyertalk. Now, I can't find the source of this...it's not on the Air Canada site nor CATSA...but the poster seems to be an Air Canada insider...

Good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was from Flyertalk. Now, I can't find the source of this...it's not on the Air Canada site nor CATSA...but the poster seems to be an Air Canada insider...

That's fantastic! Thanks for posting, pxlbarrel! :goodvibes

I'll be checking the headlines tomorrow, for sure...

y'know, I know they're trying to be helpful with those photos but it becomes less helpful when you have a bag that might be ok but doesn't look like those photos. For example...a camera bag that doesn't look like a camera bag (cause...hey, don't they say...don't travel with something that looks like a camera bag cause you'll be targetted)? And it'll be some guy at security who sees my non-traditional camera bag and tell me it's not allowed because it doesn't look like that boxy little thing they show in the announcement.

<sigh>

It IS all good now...but let me tell you. I travelled to the U.S on Jan 9. It was uneventful. Anticipated such a wait and was through it all, including 2 security stages in one hour. Then sat at the gate for almost 2 hours ugh.

I did ask the RCMP security tho about the purse restrictions. He told me a purse is a purse. There is no size guideline as long as it is reasonable. He remarked "As long as the purse doesn't have wheels and say Samsonite" it's all good!

Of course coming back into Canada carry on was allowed...jeeeez......

Anyways...not an issue now!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter