• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

what would you do?

what would you choose?

• SOG for 9 nights no free dining for 5

• POR AB for 7 nights w free dining for 5

• Poly for 5 nights w free dining for 5

Results are only viewable after voting.

MOMOFMNM

DIS Veteran
stay at SOG for 9 nights without free dining

stay at POR for 7 nights with free dining

stay at the Poly for 5 nights with free dining

If all $$ was the same...???

That would be hard to pick. If you enjoy deluxe and everything Disney then I would definately pick the Poly. I personally would never choose a moderate over SOG. Why not do a split stay between SOG and the Poly?

I am retired Air Force so I do understand your situation. We have stayed at SOG once when I needed to get 2 rooms so we could bring our neice and grand neice. I didn't want to pay for two rooms at any of the monorail resorts because I didn't want my neice to come to expect it all the time. ;) We are the type of people who adore monorail resorts for both the ease of transportation and watching fireworks from our room.

Have a great time on your vacation whatever resort you choose.

My choice would be to stay at a Value resort for 9 nights with free dining and the trip would be cheaper than all the other options. I personally don't care which hotel I'm at though because I spend very little time there. I also like that the Value hotels are themed to be more attractive to kids than the luxury ones.

formernyer said:
My choice would be to stay at a Value resort for 9 nights with free dining and the trip would be cheaper than all the other options. I personally don't care which hotel I'm at though because I spend very little time there. I also like that the Value hotels are themed to be more attractive to kids than the luxury ones.

I second that idea. I was just thinking the same exact thing as i was reading down the post and those were my thoughts EXACTLY! If you can't do a value because of number of guests in the room, then I'd pick POR. Only because I don't spend alot of time in the room and 7 days is better than 5 anytime at WDW! :goodvibes

I would need two rooms at a value so it would not save me $$ over POR...

actually when I added in my cost for food with all ADR's I have made...and added in transportation TO and FROM the airport I think I am going to book at POR...

Thanks! for your votes

any other ideas are welcome

p.s. we do not stay in our room often, we do like pool slides, free dining for 5 is a BIG savings, ME was great for us, we do not mind busses or even walking a lot, we eat mostly at the parks...
if this helps any...

We're trying POR with our family of 5 for the first time in July. First time in a moderate, not a deluxe. I'll let you know when we get back how we made out. I sure wish we were getting free dining.

More days is always better, and free dining gives you so much flexibility.

DisneyMomx7 said:
We're trying POR with our family of 5 for the first time in July. First time in a moderate, not a deluxe. I'll let you know when we get back how we made out. I sure wish we were getting free dining.

More days is always better, and free dining gives you so much flexibility.

please let me know!!

btw how old are your kiddies?

When you say it is all the same price are you taking into account what you will need to pay to eat at SOG?

Another option is to get a family suite at the ASMu. I personally don't like ASMU as much as the other Value hotels, but it's the only one with the suite option at the moment. It's probably about the same cost to get suite there for 7 days with the free dining as it would be to get a regular room at the moderate with dining for the same number of days.

mickeyfan2 said:
When you say it is all the same price are you taking into account what you will need to pay to eat at SOG?

yes but to be honest I think my eating costs are pretty LOW for what we will actually spend...besides I like the prepaid idea of the dining plan...I took into account 700 for food for SOG but think now that is kinda low, don't you?

MOMOFMNM said:
yes but to be honest I think my eating costs are pretty LOW for what we will actually spend...besides I like the prepaid idea of the dining plan...I took into account 700 for food for SOG but think now that is kinda low, don't you?
I do think $70/day for a family of 5 is doable, but it would difficult and not enable any sit down or character meals. I voted for POR.

My choice would be SOG for 9 days...more days at WDW!!!!! You can watch your pennies with meals and still be okay. The SOG has a great buffet for breakfast and dinner...and the rooms are huge compared to the other resorts...there is also a shopette where you can buy snacks really reasonable.

MOMOFMNM said:
please let me know!!

btw how old are your kiddies?

The ones that are travelling with us will be 81/2, 7 1/2 and just turning 6.

Side note - all the kids are - 29, 23, 21, 20, 8, 7 and 5 (right now). Thank goodness the older ones don't want to travel with us anymore and take their owns trips. Although ds (21) did take a day trip over to MK when he was in Florida on Spring Break.

I'll definitely let you know how we made out. We took a trip over to POR last summer to do the carriage ride and see Bob the Piano Man. It was a lot of fun. You might want to check out www.tripadvisor.com. They have a lot of POR pictures. I know they made me get excited.

mickeyfan2 said:
I do think $70/day for a family of 5 is doable, but it would difficult and not enable any sit down or character meals. I voted for POR.

plus DD9 will be 10 I just realized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so...if we want to do any character meals the FREE dining is the way to go, otherwise we'd be paying 30 bucks for a buffet for a 10 yo girl :sad2:

we are going to do POR but I think I will add room only ressie for a couple days and stay at POR for the same amnt of time as I would at SOG so I do not feel shorted on vacation time

MOMOFMNM said:
plus DD9 will be 10 I just realized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so...if we want to do any character meals the FREE dining is the way to go, otherwise we'd be paying 30 bucks for a buffet for a 10 yo girl :sad2:

we are going to do POR but I think I will add room only ressie for a couple days and stay at POR for the same amnt of time as I would at SOG so I do not feel shorted on vacation time
Good plan.

MOMOFMNM said:
actually when I added in my cost for food with all ADR's I have made...and added in transportation TO and FROM the airport I think I am going to book at POR...

That was my question -- don't forget you still have to eat, free dining plan or not, so add up what you think you woul dhave spent on meals at SOG with no dining plan and see where you are - might be a lot more than you think.

Personally, I struggle with the dining plan because with a 2yo, eating table service every day for 7 days is a nightmare, not a treat. :rotfl: If it was just my 6yo or no kids that would be a different story...

Good thing I talked my neighbor girlfriends into a girls weekend the last weekend of September...value season, free dining plan, and food and wine festival all in one! :cool1: Now - don't all you Visa card people snatch up all the BC/YC package rooms before I can book mine on April 4. ;)

jackie

formernyer said:
Another option is to get a family suite at the ASMu. I personally don't like ASMU as much as the other Value hotels, but it's the only one with the suite option at the moment. It's probably about the same cost to get suite there for 7 days with the free dining as it would be to get a regular room at the moderate with dining for the same number of days.

Actually the suites are about $10 more per night than 2 values rooms so about $170/night vs POR at $139. So about $200 more.

It's hard isn't it?

My husband nixed any moderates because he just felt like a double bed would negatively impact the quality of our sleep time. We are used to a queen and he wants to have the comforts of home. I have a difficult sleep life as it is, and one night of no sleep would be a major bummer at Disney! Whenever we share a double, we really feel it!

Also, we thought our boys would be more comfortable sharing a queen bed and with three kids, I would definitely consider the comfort of your sleep situation at a moderate. Obviously many people find it no problem at all, but I think we would be more comfortable at the SOG over a Mod (though I did consider it!).

And then I would not go with Poly for five days when you could stay longer at the SOG unless you really think that you are going to spend a lot of time at the resort and that's just very important. When I was a kid I *loved* the Poly pool, so I have been very very tempted, but I still think the SOG is just such a good deal, and it's so near the Poly it's just a short walk ...... so for us, we can eat at the Poly, use Poly transportation - everything - and since we wouldn't swim necessarily in December anyway, it just seems to work out.

But I still sometimes lying in bed mulling it over!

Oh, and I should add that we do have wine with meals, and for me, I don't want a ton of food. I want something small but nice and after a day in the park I really really want a drink (or two, since hey, no driving!) So even with the dining plan, we would have extra restaurant expenses.

Also, my son wants to go to Sea World and have his birthday dinner there, so that would be full day we wouldn't use the dining plan.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter