• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What would you do with a day to yourself at WDW?

I would LOVE to do the Keys to the Kingdom Tour :hyper:. It's something that crosses my mind at least once a visit. I usually have part of a day to myself midweek while DH is golfing. But alas, it is usually spent by sleeping in and then doing a couple of loads of laundry :laundy: (while relaxing by a quiet pool) :beach:. And that's not such a bad thing either (the relaxing, not the laundry:upsidedow).

Take time to do it! You'll love it. We did the earliest one of the day and got to take pictures of MK before opening.:thumbsup2 (I think your DH would like it too.)

what would be nice ofr me is not having to corral everyone else all day.

Instead of sleeping in as another poster suggested- I could leave the rom when I was ready and not have to wait for everyone else to be ready.

I could put off eating until I am the one who is hungry. (Often I could get by with one or two meals per day, instead of three plus snack breaks)

I would probably have dinner at a place like Cali Grill and sit at the counter. (Other options are Poly sushi bar, Narcoosee's, Citricos, Via Napoli, Japan's sushi bar - off the top of my head)

I would use single rider line on thrill rides.

I would take my time in some of the gift shops we normally skip (or run through)- like the Wyland Galleries.

I might do something oddball, like horseback riding.

An alone day would be nice! I'm thinking I need to schedule one this fall. It would be great to go at my pace and not have to worry about what others want to do. I would probably spend the time taking in the little things I might otherwise miss.

My wife and I both ended up having some time to ourselves on our last trip -- me because she was under the weather one morning, and her because she stayed an extra day to meet up with a work function -- and long story short, we're going to try to build a little personal time into all of our trips going forward, at least on longer trips. Even when you're just with one person, compromise is part of the deal, and the more people you're with, the more compromise there is in terms of what you do.

So with that in mind, here's my tip: be a complete hedonist, and do whatever you love. My wife isn't big on thrill rides, so during my "me time," I rode Space Mountain twice, Splash Mountain, and did some other things that she wasn't interested in doing. When she had her time, she had the same approach, with different attractions. We both agreed that even though we love touring together and wouldn't want to do a trip without the other, having a brief period of time to so whatever we wanted made the compromises we made through the rest of the trip a lot easier to take.

Point is, live it up! :cool1:

Thanks for all the ideas guys:thumbsup2 I'm still not positive what I will do yet so keep the ideas coming. I'm leaning towards going to MK and taking my time. With that in mind what are some of your favorite hidden gems in the MK? Tell me a Ride, snack, show, shop or even hidden corner you just like to sit and enjoy a drink.

I'd get on the monorail resort loop and check out the different resorts. Then I'd head to Epcot to leisurely walk around the World Showcase and go to some of the shows and shops that I never have a chance to get to with the rest of my family.

I would start off with a light breakfast and then head out to DHS for the early opening. I would ride ToT a couple times then try RnRc single rider line. Maybe ride Star Tours and then get a treat at Starring Rolls. Take a nice boat ride to EPCOT and then take a leisurely stroll to TT and ride single rider a couple times. Heading out of the park I would ride SSE and then hop a bus to MK for some night EMH. Maybe get a CS meal and then ride Splash and Big Thunder and AO at night. Maybe get a Dole Whip or a funnel cake. Watch Wishes and just ride whatever I felt like until closing.

I know what I would do. I'd check out the monorail hotels for a few hours. Maybe get a snack at each one. Then I'd take the boat over to FW and walk around there and soak up the scenery. After that I'd go to DTD and enjoy a sandwich from Earl's. Have fun!

I would grab my camera and spend the day walking through World Showcase, shopping and taking pictures. In fact, that IS what I am going to do at some point next trip, when the kids and DH just want to hang around the resort.

Hall of Presidents! I can't drag any family members in there with me. Then I would leisurely stroll through all the MK shops, hop the monorail and head to Epcot to do World Showcase on my own - preferably during the Food & Wine Festival, with the emphasis on the wine part! If I had time, I would end the day at a spa - heaven!

Thanks so much for all the great ideas:thumbsup2 at first I thought it might be strange to spend a day by myself but now I am actually looking forward to it, but don't tell my family :goodvibes

I would go to the Magic Kingdom and wander around for hours and hours taking pictures. With the occasion break to eat a Mickey Bar and people watch, of course!

I'd go to my favorite park - Epcot - and spend the day there. First I'd take the Behind the Seeds tour at the Land Pavilion. Then I'd spend as much time as I wanted over in World Showcase, without my kids and husband to get bored and be ready to move on. I'd be sure to grab a performance schedule so I can see all the different musical groups.

You say you already have dinner planned. That wouldn't stop me from eating where I wanted for lunch. I'd probably just get something from a walk-up in World Showcase, but right now Moroccan is sounding good.

I love being in WDW with my friends and family. BUT...I love my alone days as well. And when I head down every Dec, I have a lot of alone days. One of my favorite things to do is to book a tour. You're alone, but not alone. I love the Keys to the Kingdom Tour..so much fun and you get lunch..and you don't have to eat alone!!!
I also love the Epcot Segway tour.....a lot of fun.

Otherwise, just head to a few different parks. Start at MK and wander around..doing what you want, when you want. Eat whatever you want, stop and use the ladies room whenever you want...man, I love that.
Then, head over to Epcot and WS....amble around there, poking around the various countries. Take the time to see a few of the movies. Love Canada and France.

Since I normally have 5 days by myself on my 10 day trips, I'm going to turn this around to offer a different viewpoint...

If I ONLY had one day to myself...
I'd likely spend the morning at AK, focusing on the trails (including Discovery Island and Oasis) and the Safari. Hit up somewhere for lunch. Back to the resort for some R&R, then head out to Epcot for the evening, mostly to tour around the WS.

The other days that I plan for myself could easily not be annoying to someone else, but a slow-paced, mostly walking around, little ride day would be tough to convince someone else to do with me :p.

As for what someone else could do? Pretty much pick a park or two that you normally skip a lot, and try those things you skip. Depending on when you go, a nice relaxing break in the afternoon could also be in the cards, as you don't have to go go go for others and try to keep them all happy.

I would go to the Magic Kingdom and wander around for hours and hours taking pictures. With the occasion break to eat a Mickey Bar and people watch, of course!

I think this may be what I do on my day to myself. I wonder if my older DD would notice her SLR camera missing if I took it to FL with me:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter