What would you do? WDW or Disney Cruis Line??

CuracaoGirl

Earning My Ears
Hi all...
I've been thinking about a trip in early May for my DD (9) and I.
We've been to WDW twice in the last 4 years and are huge Disney fans.
She's not a fan of big rides, but we still have lots of fun in the parks.
I've heard and read so many good reviews of the Disney Cruise Line that it could be an option to do something different this time. The difference in price won't be that much to be a deal breaker.
We've never been on a cruise before so that would be a whole new experience.
I'm just thinking that we would miss being in a different park each day and walking around.

The options would be:
A. 7 day trip to WDW staying at POP Century and visiting 3 parks and a waterpark
B. 4 day Bahamian cruise on Disney Dream

What would you do? Or what are your thoughts on my dilemma?

Thanks in advance :-)

Which may? 2016? 2017?

We are BIG WDW fans..
However the parks are under massive construction right now..
All the new stuff doesn't open until June 2016.

If you looking 2016. I'd stick with cruise.

2017 - I would look at the newer stuff and see if it's something you really want to see, or if it can wait..

3rd option.. 3 day cruise 3-4 days at WDW visit 2 parks?

Hi all...
We've been to WDW twice in the last 4 years and are huge Disney fans.
I've heard and read so many good reviews of the Disney Cruise Line that it could be an option to do something different this time. The difference in price won't be that much to be a deal breaker.
I'm just thinking that we would miss being in a different park each day and walking around.

The options would be:
A. 7 day trip to WDW staying at POP Century and visiting 3 parks and a waterpark
B. 4 day Bahamian cruise on Disney Dream

What would you do? Or what are your thoughts on my dilemma?

Thanks in advance :-)

I would do both as you are suggesting with the WDW part first. Since you have never done a cruise starting with the 3 or 4 night Bahamian cruise makes the most sense. You will love the cruise.

Which may? 2016? 2017?

We are BIG WDW fans..
However the parks are under massive construction right now..
All the new stuff doesn't open until June 2016.

If you looking 2016. I'd stick with cruise.

2017 - I would look at the newer stuff and see if it's something you really want to see, or if it can wait..

3rd option.. 3 day cruise 3-4 days at WDW visit 2 parks?

Oops, sorry. 2017 that is.

Not sure if I can afford doing both. I would have to check the pricing for a shorter WDW visit.

I would give the cruise a shot. Your daughter is on the border of liking the Lab/Club. But there are a bunch of other things you can do on the ship, either together or separate. I would normally recommend WDW, but since you've done it twice in 4 years, you might like a change. The cruise is definitely more relaxing and less waiting 60 minutes for a 2 minute ride. Castaway Cay is an awesome day that far surpasses any of the waterparks.

Once you do a cruise, doing WDW will be difficult --- WDW requires a ton more planning, the cruise is way laid back, and it is awesome. Do the cruise - you won't regret it.

A 4 day cruise is a good way to give it a whirl without over doing it. You can stay on the ship for most of the day in Nassau, enjoy Disney's island. And still get a day at sea. If you have to travel the day or night before, you could still think about a day or evening at Magic Kingdom too.

The only problem is that the four night is a short vacation. If that is the only vacation you are doing all year I would definitely do wdw.

Hi all...

You said that your daughter was not a fan of the big rides, but had a lot of fun in the parks. What kinds of activities do you and your daughter consider to be fun. Is it the shows, the characters, the friendly cast members? You will find all of these things on the cruise. You said you liked walking around the parks. Although the parks are large and there is definitely more to see, there is also a LOT to see, do, and explore on the ship. The CMs on the ship will go out of their way to make your trip magical, especially for your daughter. Every CM your daughter comes in contact with will go out of their way to treat her like a princess.

One other thing that I would like to point out is that when you compare a 7 day stay at WDW to a 4 day cruise, you may not be taking the cost of food, drinks, and snacks into consideration. These cost extra at WDW but included in the cost of the cruise (does not include alcohol, canned soft drinks, or bottle water). Also the cabins on the Dream, while much smaller, are comparable in quality to the deluxe resorts at WDW, whereas staying at the Pop is a lot like staying at a Motel 6.

I would do the cruise. There's so much to do and she is probably still in the princess stage. So many photo ops, great shows, fun dining, etc. Adding 3 days @ WDW will increase costs b/c of park tickets. But, I would add 2 days @ POP and go to DTD one day and to a WP the other day.

My vote would be for the cruise as well. We did WDW last year and with the increased crowds and need to pre-book dining and fastpasses, I actually found it kind of stressful. (I used to work at WDW and I'm a huge fan, so it was kind of a shock to me that I felt that way). I do plan to go back to WDW at some point, but for a longer stay with fewer sit-down meals booked.

DCL is more relaxing and I found the service to be better than WDW -- even though we stayed at a Deluxe resort. Plus, it's something you haven't done before and I'm a big fan of using vacations to try something new.

I am just back from our first cruise with our family. We have done several Disney World vacations. The vote in my family after the cruise was as follows. While everyone agreed we would happily do either, my DW, DD 13, and DD 8 all said cruise would be #1. They like a more relaxing vacation. Myself, and my DD 11, who are much more on the go types would slightly prefer the parks. On the cruise you are treated like roylaty and can sit back and relax. In the parks, each minute is a new adventure, so I think it comes down to what you are looking for. Relaxation: DCL. On the go, the parks.

Cruise. My girls don't love the rides either. Now that we've done a cruise they wouldn't have it any other way.

I'd say: start with 2-3 days at WDW and finish with a short cruise (3 or 4 nights). WDW is really expensive (theme park tickets, etc.) IMO if you can afford WDW for 4 days, you can afford the cruise for sure.

Not exactly the same but my in-laws will do their first trip in WDW, they are not huge fans of rides so we'll do 2 nights in WDW followed by a 3 nights cruise. I feel like it's the perfect combination. You can do crazy days in WDW then get to relax on a cruise afterwards (it's still exciting but easier on the body!)

Over the years we visited WDW probably about 15-17 times and enjoyed it. WDW is just really nice. What I realized is that my WDW experience involved a lot of waiting in lines, sweating, and eating lots of chicken fingers and burgers. And at the end of the day, we were usually worn out only to get up and do it all over again the next day. Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed it a lot and kept going back. Once we discovered DCL, it was totally different. Food was whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted. Didn't really wait in lines very much. Lots of entertainment options and I didn't t feel as if I "had" to see something. Overall the cruise has a much more relaxing feel. When we have grandkids we'll probably do a day at the park before the cruise and board the ship.

What a blessing- having to choose between a cruise and the parks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter