What would you do? UPDATE: Pg 7--I'm not fooling :)

Lisa loves Pooh

DIS Veteran
Long post--you have been warned.;)

We are in a situation where we helped a friend of the family when they faced job loss and no place to live. We were happy to assist.

They have lived in our home in the basement for several months. It is not perfect, but they have 2 separate living areas, full bath, and a bedroom for their family. They also have exclusive use meaning I only go down if I need to get something stored down there, but otherwise--we do not use this space at all. They also have open access to our kitchen and 2 dedicated laundry days. (She asked for the dedicated days because of her laundry routine. She was not happy to get only two--but she expected me to not use it at all on her specified days and that was all I could spare.)

His job was lost a couple of months before they moved in and they moved in when their lease ended on the rental property. We allowed them to live her rent free with paying half utilities. Around the 3rd month, employment was found. We allowed them to continue living her rent free to allow them time to make up for their lack of income. There was no concrete end date, but they were itching to vacate and since they had a rental situation all ready--they were supposed to move out about Feb/March. And that was fine. That opportunity fell through (the homeowners had discovered they had some renovations to do first before they could rent to them and it would not be done until June which was too late for them). They decided they would purchase a home. They were really trying to get out of here by the end of March. They found the perfect home, but there was already a contract with contingency. They were second in line and it did look like that first contract would fall. So we have not asked for anything other than our original arrangement of half utilities as the light was at the end of the tunnel and we saw no need. The buyer removed that contingency, so they lost the home.

Then they decided they would build a brand new house and asked for a 5-6 month extension (turn around time with no delays from the moment the contract is signed). They offered us nothing. We are hoping to relocate but the timeline on that is sketchy and we don't know when we will be able to do that. The only thing they offered was their understanding that they would have to leave immediately when that occurs and they understand we could not guarantee them the entire time frame.

We felt we have been more than generous. But their circumstances now are much much better than they were in the beginning. We do not feel it appropriate to continue helping them under the existing rental free agreement. So we requested rent. My husband has been in similar circumstances where it was more convenient and budget friendly to live with someone--but we have always paid for that courtesy. This family is clearly not in hardship any longer and they use 1/3 of our home. We felt it was fair to request rent because either way, they would have to pay it if we didn't want them here longer. We are open to negotiating the amount and the initial offer is much much less than they would have to be for a comparable scenario elsewhere. We just feel that it is time for them to no longer live her gratis.

I am getting the strong vibe that it seems our request, to them, was out of line. I think her comment was that she would rather pay more and so they would be out of our hair. (ouch!) Again--we do not mind that they are here. We do mind them, at present, using the space for free.

I feel inclined to also mention--unknown until after she moved in, but we were expected to keep their status a secret. In other words--they told none of our circle that they were living here, expected me to be creative with my language if asked (tell them we live near you, because that is technically true) and essentially expected me to not have ANYONE over. The one time I had to run by the house with someone in my car--they flew out of the house like crazy people so that they would not get busted. I only came home for 5 minutes to pick up one of my other children, was not bringing in the visitor, but pride got the best of them and they fled. The secret was kept for 2 months and was very difficult on my children.

It is not helpful to say you couldn't have let them move in in the first place. We do not regret that decision. What bothers me is that they seem to be insulted that the free accommodations cannot continue. I know my friend's mindset is that if she has to pay, even if she has to pay more--she will find a better circumstance. But it really feels like a slap in the face to both my husband and I that our home was fine when it was free, but when it costs money--we are suddenly not such a good idea. My husband thinks the husband is perfectly understanding of this and the husband has even said they could totally afford the quoted rate.

She did ask when they needed to know. My husband and I mutually decided--since it is known that they will not have their permanent home until end of summer--that they are free to stay, but rent needs to begin starting next month. It doesn't give them much time. But they literally told us Saturday that they were signing a contract for a build on Sunday and by Monday, my husband and her husband met to discuss the extension request. So while it is short notice on them, we went from trying to get out of our house in a month or two--to "we need a lot more time" with no notice. If they stay until the end, they will have lived in our house for over a year. Only 3 months of that year would have been without employment.

Feel free to quote--I am just upset over the situation. I just don't think it was fair for them to expect to live her for 6 more months for free. My additional concern is that if they decide to just go with that deal, that they will demand more of us. But I don't think we owe them anything additional in the arrangement.

Would you have allowed them to continue staying rent free while their home is being built through the summer? Are my husband and I really being uncharitable here?

No, they should not change the terms of the living conditions and expect the terms to stay the same. Minimal rent would be the gracious thing to do on their part and the expected thing, imho, on yours.

One thing I have to say...they may be your friends and all that, but it is really weird that they want no one to know that they are staying/living in your house.

Everybody hits some bad times, I just find it odd that they expect so much from you and your family when it comes to keeping the 'secret'. I honestly don't know if I would trust that they were even planning on moving out with all the issues they have had so far. Have you seen a contract for this new build.

Regardless, No, I don't think you are out of line.

Kelly

No, you're not being uncharitable. Something doesn't add up. You don't go from being unable to afford a place to live to being able to build a new home in a few months, absent winning the lottery, inheriting a boatload of cash, selling your patent for completely green renewable energy generator or robbing a bank. Set a reasonable rent & leave it to them to find a new place to live if that's unsuitable. Avoid the back and forth, the reasonings, etc. Keep it direct and businesslike.

Sound like grifters to me. ETA the secrecy paranoia is the big clue here.

For me...
They would be given a 30 day...
No further occupancy or 'rent' would even be discussed.
Seriously...
It is your home.

No matter what the circumstances, employment, etc...
They have had every opportunity to make other arrangements, find 'assistance'. etc...

Again, It is YOUR home. (not a long term rental property!)
Their welcome has long been exhausted.

And, don't forget about squatters rights...
If one allows others to have use of their property without arrangements, on paper, without 'dates'... This can, and has been construed as a precedent, and that squatters have assumed some rights to that property.

No, you're not being uncharitable. Something doesn't add up. You don't go from being unable to afford a place to live to being able to build a new home in a few months, absent winning the lottery, inheriting a boatload of cash, selling your patent for completely green renewable energy generator or robbing a bank. Set a reasonable rent & leave it to them to find a new place to live if that's unsuitable. Avoid the back and forth, the reasonings, etc. Keep it direct and businesslike.

They have done none of those things. I don't wish to get into their personal finances. :) They did borrow the downpayment. But they are working with an underwriter to get the home. They have never bought a home before--so they qualify for the first time home buyer's programs that are out there.

But otherwise--yes.

Reverse the circumstances. If it were you who had asked for their assistance, would you continue to stay rent free when you had the opportunity to help them (the homeowner) and show some appreciation?

Obviously, they are using you. After the original agreement, what was it, three months?, that is basically an unsigned contract, meaning that it needs to be re-negotiated.

Seems to me that when you finally get them out, the friendship is asta la vista. You are a better friend than they are.

I agree with everything you just said and what's going to happen if the build is delayed ? which is very common I would have the adults sit down immediately and put it all on the table ( in writing ) this is rent $----- It starts ...this date You can rent here until ------this date if your house isn't ready by then I am sorry but you will have to make other arrangements

You have been more than charitable OP you have put out a Welcome mat, but don't become a total door mat KWIM ?

And, don't forget about squatters rights...
If one allows others to have use of their property without arrangements, on paper, without 'dates'... This can, and has been construed as a precedent, and that squatters have assumed some rights to that property.

Ugh! :eek:

This would not do well for them if they do that. They do actually wish to leave, so that is a good thing.

Agree. Cabanafrau:. What is a Grifter?

How do you go from so poor you can't afford to pay rent to being able to build a home in a few months?

Something smells fishy and I doubt it's what you're cooking for dinner.

Ugh! :eek:

This would not do well for them if they do that. They do actually wish to leave, so that is a good thing.

Well, they SAY they want to leave, but it's interesting that all of their opportunities to do so keep falling through due to other people's issues, isn't it? Hmmm.

You have been way more than gracious!There is Helping someone and being taken for a ride! You need rent and if they don't like it they can find somewhere else free. Second no more not bringing people there if you want to! It is your home not theirs and they do what you want not the other way around. I also wouldn't go for the I can't do laundry in my own home -that I"m paying for- when I want to. And the secret keeping, well I can understand for the first month if they were embarrassed but after that get over it you aren't that embarrassed your still here! Not going to put an ad in the paper but I"m also not going to lie.

These people are users and they can only use you if you let them. And like in the beach house thread, they also aren't friends! because friends wouldn't do this to a friend.

I also an extremely leery of the "building a new home" line. HOW? they supposedly are so poor they had to move into a friends basement but they were able to get a mortgage/loan to build a new house? So which is it you have money but would rather take advantage and use a friend? or you are lieing about building a home? I don't see how it can be different.

If they have enough money to build a home they are pulling the wool over your heads. Set a date for rent and stick to it, and I wouldn't make it to cheap either!

I am getting the strong vibe that it seems our request, to them, was out of line. I think her comment was that she would rather pay more and so they would be out of our hair. (ouch!) Again--we do not mind that they are here. We do mind them, at present, using the space for free.

Well, I'd tell them they have to pay X amount of rent. If they feel they'd rather live elsewhere, tell them you will be happy to help them move out next week.
End of story.

It is your house. Your terms.

Reverse the circumstances. If it were you who had asked for their assistance, would you continue to stay rent free when you had the opportunity to help them (the homeowner) and show some appreciation?

Obviously, they are using you. After the original agreement, what was it, three months?, that is basically an unsigned contract, meaning that it needs to be re-negotiated.

Seems to me that when you finally get them out, the friendship is asta la vista. You are a better friend than they are.

I am concerned about the friendship, yes. I already feel she judges my parenting. (My 13 year old is not as well behaved as her 14 year old, has her own issues--but the mom feels if the discipline was resolved, I would have a compliant child.) I do not think it will be as close as it formerly was. I have no other way to say this except to say she has "high standards"--and when someone fails to meet whatever her standards may be, they become less to her. Sounds worse than it is--but maybe it was always bad and I just didn't realize it until now.:confused3

They are nice people and well liked. They just function differently.

As far as circumstance reversal. My husband was laid off, started a new job in a new state/city and there was NO way we could offered any type of unique rental situation. His option was pretty much renting a room or go into lots of debt. As luck would have it, my daughter's God father lived in the area of the new job, so we were able to request "charity". That charity was, please allow him to live there until we can relocate and let us know who much you would like us to pay you for that. Free was not an option, but the amount fit within our budget perfectly and the circumstance was to stay as long as he liked but with a time limit of 12 months.

Had someone taken us in without a job--we would not have presumed to stay free forever. I'm not saying we would have honorably volunteered on the first day of the job to suddenly pay rent--but we wouldn't have felt shot in the gut when the conversation came to turn the arrangement into a rental fee situation until we found other living arrangements.

Building a new home can drag on forever. If it were me, I would give them 30 days to vacate and find a short-term rental. Don't be a doormat to users!:headache:

I don't think you're out of line at all. I think they are. I could understand asking for a couple more months while they continue to search for the right home but building is a long process (5-6 months is probably an overly optimistic estimate - my inlaws' house was supposed to take 6-8mo and they barely got the occupancy permit by the time the one-year lease on their apartment ended). It is a lot to ask to continue living with someone else for what is, essentially, a luxury (building rather than buying an existing home).

How do you go from so poor you can't afford to pay rent to being able to build a home in a few months?

Something smells fishy and I doubt it's what you're cooking for dinner.

Well, they SAY they want to leave, but it's interesting that all of their opportunities to do so keep falling through due to other people's issues, isn't it? Hmmm.

While they seem quite ego-centric, I could not be so bold as to say that is the situation.

The home costs about as much as ours did new--maybe a little cheaper. We bought because we could not afford any rental situation when we moved her because we have our home back home that we could not sell. A mortgage payment was cheaper than rent, but about $600 a month. So it worked out better for us.

I am unfamiliar with the new construction process--I know we did look at new construction when home shopping. But the price was a shade over what we could make room for for financing, so it was off the table. Had we no 2nd home mortgage to worry about, then we would have had a little more wiggle room.

His employment is in a similar field to my husband and comes with a comparable income to our living situation.

I know it all sounds very odd---but our circumstances were kind of similar 4 years ago. Our period of job loss was much much shorterm only about 6-8 weeks. (net, I think her husband was out of work for 6 months.)

Sorry second post BUT

I have been thinking about this and you know what I wouldn't set rent, I would simply say:

"we have been thinking about this, and it just isn't working out for our family anymore. we want you to move out. We understand you need time to find a place so you can stay till 30 days from now(or the end of April, up to you OP) We were glad to help when you were down."

They aren't your parents or a sibling that you might feel a moral obligation, they WERE friends who you did a great thing for and helped but you don't owe them anything. It is time you start thinking about your sanity and your family first, just like they are thinking of themselves first!!!

Can I move in when they move out?

The line forms behind me! :lmao:

Serioiusly, OP...you have done a wonderful thing allowing your friends to stay with you and get on their feet. However, they have overstayed their welcome when asking it to continue when they are in a better place.

You have to do what you think is right in the end, but I would not feel guilty about anything you are currently wanting to do. And I would seriously put an end date on this situation whether the new house is built on time or not.

'Hey friends, we want to move ourselves. Our date is July 15th. Regardless of how things are at that time, we will need you to move out completely. We wish you the best of luck..yada yada

Just my two cents.

Kelly

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter