What would you do? -- stroller question

Mouskemom

Mouseketeer
Going down in three days and I need some stroller help! We'll have our three boys with us - ages 6, 4 and 1. Should I bring down a double stroller (for the 1 and 4 yo) or should I bring down the baby's Maclaren stroller and also the Maclaren volo for when the 4 yo wants a ride?

So for those who have BTDT, what should I do?!?

I would bring the double because I hate having two separate strollers to push. DO you prefer to push one and take turns pushing or each push one stroller all the time?

You will likely get more responses over on the Families board.

I took 2 singles last Sept. for DD14mo and DS3 (at the time). I found having to clear junk out of 2 baskets, fold 2 strollers then haul 2 strollers and 2 kids on the bus to be a hassle. This was after extensive research in which EVERYONE said to bring 2! :rotfl:
This year we are renting a double from Magic strollers. I bought a jumbo shopping bag from the Disney store (kinda like the big fabric shopping bags at Kohls) to keep all of our stuff in the basket - hoping it will allow us to get all the stuff out of the basket in one swoop. DH and I are going to agree in advance and practice. He takes bag out while I get kids out. I put bag on shoulder and take 2 kids hands onto the bus. He folds stroller and carries it onto bus. Rinse and repeat!

HTH! :wizard:

You do know all 9 maclaren models since 1999 are being recalled for a faulty hinge right? The hinge has cut off 10 children' fingers! Google it. There is a part they will send you to fix it.

What we usually do is bring a single stroller for our youngest because it is lighter and then rent a double for the older kids.

Edited to add: but we do usually have like 13+ people with us, we go with extended family, so we have more people to push and more than just our kids and we drive. So maybe I am no help

I have done this both ways. When DD was 1 and DS 3 we brought two strollers; that way we could split up and one of us could go back to the room with DD so she could nap... didn't work out like that though as we usually stayed together. But it was super easy folding up two umbrella strollers but my husband wasn't thrilled with pushing a stroller around the whole time and would have preferred DS walk.

SOOO, when DD was 2 and DS 4 we just brought one umbrella and bribed DS with power rangers to walk... And that was OK too but I did end up carrying DD a few times while DS rode. Not much.

BUT, when DD was 3 and DS 5 we added another DS (8 mo) to the mix and I bought a double umbrella that folded easily and tiny... the Jeep one by Kolcraft I think. It's the only one I would take because it folds so small. I liked this more than the 2 umbrellas since we all tend to stay together. And DS6 might want to ride too and DD walk.

BUT, what will we do this year with DD4, DS6 and DS 20mo? Probably a single umbrella. DH thinks if he's killing his feet walking all day and is tired at the end of the day, the kids should too!! I might push for the double just so I can buckle the younger two and keep them contained easily!! And it gives DS6 an option to ride occasionally too if necessary.

I would never rent a double stroller at Disney - $30+ a day?? That is insane. I bought the double umbrella used for $40 from Once Upon a Child and it was great to 'contain' the kids in the airport too.

I would use the 2 stroller option. That way if you needed to split up then one wouldnt have to have both of the younger children. Double strollers seem like a pain to me as far as getting through tight places- which there are a lot of in WDW.

Thanks for all the thoughts and keep them coming!! We leave on Sunday and I still don't know what to do. Our double stroller is a fairly narrow no name brand stroller, but it fully reclines and holds two children up to 50- pounds. I think my 4 yo will need a stroller lots of times if only to keep up with us when walking from Adventureland to Tomorrowland fro example. It would also be nice to keep them contained at the airport since 4yo likes to wander.

If we take two, I was thinking of hanging the Volo off the back of the larger stroller while it wasn;t being used. That might end up being more of a pain though.

decisions, decisions...

I say bring the double. Less to push, less to haul on and off busses, less to have to find where it is when the CMs move them around. Our last trip we had a 2 1/2 yr old and 6 yr old. We had a HUGE double jogger, but it was invaluable. A pain in the rear getting it on and off the busses, but that was a minor issue for as well as it did on the trip. Comfy for my tall kids, smooth to push. They even slept thru a loud dinner at Ohana in that thing~and we were seated right next to the singer! (Come to think of it, that stroller has made two trips to WDW)!

Thanks for all the thoughts and keep them coming!! We leave on Sunday and I still don't know what to do. Our double stroller is a fairly narrow no name brand stroller, but it fully reclines and holds two children up to 50- pounds. I think my 4 yo will need a stroller lots of times if only to keep up with us when walking from Adventureland to Tomorrowland fro example. It would also be nice to keep them contained at the airport since 4yo likes to wander.

If we take two, I was thinking of hanging the Volo off the back of the larger stroller while it wasn;t being used. That might end up being more of a pain though.

decisions, decisions...

HELOOOOOO ......mouskemom did you miss what I said previously? I would not take those strollers anywhere. I would most certainly not take them to DW where stress may play a factor and you may be in a hurry etc. ALL MACLARENS including the double stroller and the volvo has a recall notice that went out this past monday.

The recall comes after 15 reports of children placing their fingers in the hinge mechanism of the stroller. Along with these 15 reports, there have also been 12 reports of children amputating the tips of their fingers due to the dangerous stroller.

The strollers involved in the recall are the Maclaren single and double umbrella strollers listed below:

Volo Triumph Quest Sport Quest Mod Techno XT TechnoXLR Twin Triumph Twin Techno Easy Traveller All effected strollers were sold at mass merchandise retailers nationwide between 1999 and November 2009.

As a remedy, Maclaren is offering free hinge covers to better protect children. No matter where you live, you can order them on the Maclaren USA website. Yet as of Monday afternoon, it was difficult to access the site because it was overloaded. "We are working to address the issue," says Charlotte Addison, marketing manager for Maclaren USA. "We didn't anticipate getting the volume that we got today," she says, explaining that since Maclaren had originally planned to announce the recall on Tuesday, the site wasn't ready for the huge traffic. (You can also call 877-688-2326; good luck getting through.) or email: sales@maclarenbaby.com with their name, address, telephone number, stroller model and stroller Vin number.

HELOOOOOO ......mouskemom did you miss what I said previously? I would not take those strollers anywhere. I would most certainly not take them to DW where stress may play a factor and you may be in a hurry etc. ALL MACLARENS including the double stroller and the volvo has a recall notice that went out this past monday.

The recall comes after 15 reports of children placing their fingers in the hinge mechanism of the stroller. Along with these 15 reports, there have also been 12 reports of children amputating the tips of their fingers due to the dangerous stroller.

The strollers involved in the recall are the Maclaren single and double umbrella strollers listed below:

Volo Triumph Quest Sport Quest Mod Techno XT TechnoXLR Twin Triumph Twin Techno Easy Traveller All effected strollers were sold at mass merchandise retailers nationwide between 1999 and November 2009.

As a remedy, Maclaren is offering free hinge covers to better protect children. No matter where you live, you can order them on the Maclaren USA website. Yet as of Monday afternoon, it was difficult to access the site because it was overloaded. "We are working to address the issue," says Charlotte Addison, marketing manager for Maclaren USA. "We didn't anticipate getting the volume that we got today," she says, explaining that since Maclaren had originally planned to announce the recall on Tuesday, the site wasn't ready for the huge traffic. (You can also call 877-688-2326; good luck getting through.) or email: sales@maclarenbaby.com with their name, address, telephone number, stroller model and stroller Vin number.

That isn't including the number in the UK, which is still being figured out. (Yet they are refusing parents the fixing kits!).

The last thing you want on a Disney trip is an accident. Better be safe than sorry!

That isn't including the number in the UK, which is still being figured out. (Yet they are refusing parents the fixing kits!).

The last thing you want on a Disney trip is an accident. Better be safe than sorry!

I would email them then. Never hurts to try!

I have been twice with young kids and will be going in March with DS3 and DS5. We will be bringing our Maclaren Double again. Even though I rarely use it anymore, I LOVE that stroller and know both kids will walk a bit but will also need to ride a bunch and I AM NOT carrying them!! :eek:

If you like to push your double, bring that only and do not fuss with hanging another off the back of the double stroller - IMHO it will not be used and it will indeed be a PAIN. :eek:

Having one stroller to deal with that works well, holds the right weight and is ez to push is FAR better IMHO than dealing with two singles or worse yet - single umbrella strollers that are crap. I always wonder if the people who like those ever pushed a Mac or better stroller with a kid over 20lbs... anyway...

Neverbeen2DW - thanks for the scoop on the recall. I will be calling soon so we can get our Mac fixed for the March trip if not holiday shopping trips to the Mall of America! :goodvibes

Sydnerella's Mama

I always went with a double. So much easier having only 1 Stroller over 2. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter