What would you do? (Regarding splitting cabin cost)

CalDisneyMomof2

DIS Veteran
As mentioned on some of my recent posts, DS7 did a good deed on our recent cruise. This good deed left us with $2,500 or so in extra Disney Gift Cards or DVA funds rather. We decided to use that extra $2,500 to pay for another cruise and still have about $50 leftover.

My MIL asked to join us which I have no problem with what so ever. She often joins us on vacation with or without my SIL. I priced out if she got her own room (SIL won't be joining her this time)- yikes, almost $1,300 for single occupancy. (3 night Bahamas). Now, if I put one of my kids in her room it decreases her cost by $500 but increases my son's cost by $300 so in essence a $200 increase in her price since she would be paying his cost increase. Still, about $1,000 for her.

Well, I asked my husband how he'd feel about sharing a room with his mom (All 5 of us). We've done it plenty before in hotels and I know it's a smaller room but this isn't up for debate about how crammed we will be. He said he didn't mind. I don't mind. She saw the room and was fine with the small bed.

Ok, so now here we are with a new total of $2,990.69 (previous of $2,466.12). The itemized cost are as follows: Adult #1 & #2 $718.2 and Adult #3 $396.90. Prior costs were: $693.90 per adult.

How do you all suppose I split up the fare per adult so it's fair? The children's cost didn't change. Should I just average out all the adult fares? Do we take one of the more expensive fares and she take the other? I want to be fair, but we're the ones doing the favor here so WE don't want to spend more if that makes sense. I know she can afford up to $875 as I told her that's what the cost would be for a new booking (without onboard discount).

Thoughts?

I would do the difference, $524.57. Does the total include gratuities?

I would do the difference, $524.57. Does the total include gratuities?

So you think she should pay less than our fares even though she's saving $500 and we're doing her the favor? Serious question, not trying to be facetious.

Edit: it does not include gratuities. But it won't be much. I'll let her know what the cost is later. She won't mind another $100 or so.

I would also average the adults fares and have her pay 1 adult fare.

Yay for your son!! Did you post somewhere what good deed he did? I'd love to read about it!!

So you think she should pay less than our fares even though she's saving $500 and we're doing her the favor? Serious question, not trying to be facetious.

Edit: it does not include gratuities. But it won't be much. I'll let her know what the cost is later. She won't mind another $100 or so.
I think it would all depend on her financial situation (how much I would ask for). If it was my mom I would try to get her on as cheaply as possible since I know she works very hard and does not have a big vacation budget. And I would not consider my mom (or MIL) coming on vacation with us a favor either. But if your MIL can afford it I would even go for the second cabin (her covering the increase to your son's fare). I don't like sharing cabins ;)

So basically, it is up to you and what you will be comfortable with. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do the math here - splitting it evenly seems fair to me as does her paying the 3rd person plus extra cost. Geesh I sound like my husband any time I ask for his opinion. He is fine with everything, it all sounds good, whatever is more comfortable for me etc. No help at all ;)

I would also average the adults fares and have her pay 1 adult fare.

Yay for your son!! Did you post somewhere what good deed he did? I'd love to read about it!!

I think that's what we'll do. To the PP that said it is their grandma - yes, it is. And MIL makes more than DH and I do combined and supports soley herself, not a family of 4 plus a dog :teeth: So her being able to afford it is not the issue. The idea of her getting her own room for $1,300 was silly to me so I offered her to stay in our room.

@wendow here: http://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-disaster-turned-into-a-disney-dream.3537227/#post-56296434 :o

I think that's what we'll do. To the PP that said it is their grandma - yes, it is. And MIL makes more than DH and I do combined and supports soley herself, not a family of 4 plus a dog :teeth: So her being able to afford it is not the issue. The idea of her getting her own room for $1,300 was silly to me so I offered her to stay in our room.

@wendow here: http://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-disaster-turned-into-a-disney-dream.3537227/#post-56296434 :o
You must have been so proud of him. The comped excursions and gifts just a bonus. (Nice bonus, don't get me wrong, but you've obviously done a great job teaching your kids about empathy).

I'd bring her for free if she agreed to some babysitting!

(Just lobbying for us Grandmas!)

And what an awesome grandson she has!

I think it would all depend on her financial situation (how much I would ask for). If it was my mom I would try to get her on as cheaply as possible since I know she works very hard and does not have a big vacation budget. And I would not consider my mom (or MIL) coming on vacation with us a favor either. But if your MIL can afford it I would even go for the second cabin (her covering the increase to your son's fare). I don't like sharing cabins ;)

So basically, it is up to you and what you will be comfortable with. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do the math here - splitting it evenly seems fair to me as does her paying the 3rd person plus extra cost. Geesh I sound like my husband any time I ask for his opinion. He is fine with everything, it all sounds good, whatever is more comfortable for me etc. No help at all ;)

I guess I worded that incorrectly. I surely didn't mean that we're doing HER the favor of letting her come on the ship. After all, there are plenty of rooms for her to choose from that she can book on her own - again, that isn't meant to be facetious. I just meant doing the favor of having her in our room rather than her forking over $1,300 to Disney for her own. I certainly don't prefer for 5 of us to be cramped in a 299 square foot room, but it is my MIL after all. I think anyone would agree they'd PREFER to be in a room with 4 people total rather than 5 regardless of if it's their MIL or not.

@Judique :rotfl2: Grandma does babysit for us occasionally (once every few months) but we don't bother her much because she still works full-time (she's only 59). And Grandma makes a lot more money than us :teeth: When she's retired, we will happily offer to help with her costs!

I love it! Your boy rocks and obviously have great parents who have taught him well how to show kindness to others.

Thank you, Wendy! I think we talked about his kindness/sensitivity when we were talking last month - he's simply a naturally sweet soul. He makes us proud :love:

I would make her pay $611.10 which is 1/3 of the adult fares. I would also giver her the option to get her own cabin if she has enough disposable income why cram yourselves?

I think it's not so much about having the disposable income but rather $1,300 is just an absurd amount of money for a 3 night cruise for one person (not including gratuities, airfare and excursions during and before/after the cruise). Just my personal opinion (and my MIL's). My MIL was not going to join us should the cruise fare be over the $875 like I had mentioned earlier. She is the only one of our parents that is single. Doesn't have very many friends and pretty much revolves her life around work and my kids. I feel bad for her so we invite her on many of our vacations - not all, but many. Sometimes she stays in our room, sometimes not.

Her share, what I calculated, will be $690 including taxes/fees. That is what each of us will be paying excluding the kids who will pay their same share. Or DH and I will be paying their share rather :teeth:

Thank you, Wendy! I think we talked about his kindness/sensitivity when we were talking last month - he's simply a naturally sweet soul. He makes us proud :love:

We did talk about that! What a sweet boy he must be. I love to see this in kids cause it seems like so many only think of themselves. He is a true 'old soul'.

I'm probably in the minority, but I would pay a couple hundred extra for the second cabin and put your son in with her. Sharing one bathroom is what would do it for me. I can handle a small room..but three adults and a child trying to get dressed and shower and ready in basically a small closet is worth $200-$300 more for my sanity.

Have a great trip whatever you decide!

Would it be cheaper for her to pay whatever the increase it is to add her to your ressie. Say it was 3000 for the four of you and now with 5 peeps it is $3750, her pay the extra cost $750. You pay the original cost for your family, she pays the added cost. ?

I would split the adult fares 3 ways as others have suggested.

I would also let her know what her own cabin would cost if she shared with a kid

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter