What Would You Do Instead of Colleg Program?

SanFranciscan

DIS Veteran
Yesterday I went to the home of a friend who is moving in order to bring her some packing materials. Her roommate knows that I started volunteering for the Disney Family Museum. He used to work for Disneyland and was very vocal about what he thought of labor relations at Disney theme parks and told me that the Disney College Program was the worst thing that Disney ever did. I told him that I understand completely that he has worked at Disneyland while I have never worked in a Disney theme park but that I think that the Disney College Program could be very beneficial to young people who wanted to get away from home, get a paycheck, and had not really decided what they wanted to do with their lives yet.

I changed the subject because the person whom I was talking to is a very nice man and wants to be kind to my friend. This still leave my question unanswered though. If those of you who are currently in or seeking to join the college program were not, what would you be doing instead?

Yesterday I went to the home of a friend who is moving in order to bring her some packing materials. Her roommate knows that I started volunteering for the Disney Family Museum. He used to work for Disneyland and was very vocal about what he thought of labor relations at Disney theme parks and told me that the Disney College Program was the worst thing that Disney ever did. I told him that I understand completely that he has worked at Disneyland while I have never worked in a Disney theme park but that I think that the Disney College Program could be very beneficial to young people who wanted to get away from home, get a paycheck, and had not really decided what they wanted to do with their lives yet.

I changed the subject because the person whom I was talking to is a very nice man and wants to be kind to my friend. This still leave my question unanswered though. If those of you who are currently in or seeking to join the college program were not, what would you be doing instead?

I would be moving to Florida to work at Disney World. lol Not really different from the CP- It's my life's dream to perform at WDW, if I wasn't doing the CP- I'd be finding another way in. If I didn't want to work for Disney, I'd be moving to NYC or LA to pursue my acting career, or going back to school for a second degree.

Did I understand this question right? haha

Most would just keep doing the same things they are currently doing. Many people never have opportunities to change their environment. For me, the Army provided that outlet. I learned more (about life) in the first six months of being away from home/college than in four years of college.

Most will finish school and look for a job. Most will have little or no experience working full time. They won't know how to deal with situations where they have worked 10hours and their boss wants them to stay to help finish an important task. Many have never experienced the fear of potentially being terminated for behavior or tardiness.

Most will have little or no experience grocery shopping, budgeting, or fixing their own meals.

And most will have never worked alongside people from other cultures or other countries and who don't speak the same language as they do (although they usually find that many non-Americans speak English as well or better than we do). They won't know that the habits they grew up with are offensive to certain cultures.

Unfortunately for most college graduates, it may take several years (if at all) to learn most of these things. Meanwhile, WDWCP allumni will already have those experiences.

For most employers, life lessons are more important than classroom lessons (but both are required learning).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter