What would you do? Big family needs advice!

txgirl

DIS Veteran
We will be staying in a cabin with our 5 kids in November (16, 14, 8, 3, and 2). We stayed have stayed at The Contemporary the last two times (even concierge last time!) so this is obviously a bit of a change for us ;)

We are certain this is the best choice for us (full kitchen, closer to MK than the SSR or OKW, husband loves the fishing). We had originally booked two rooms at The Contemporary but it was SO MUCH more we decided to go with the FW cabins. We love camping and so the resort and campground appeals to us too :goodvibes Oh, and we also tried to get the 2-bedroom at Bay Lake Towers but our pin code doesn't work there for this promotion.

Now for the questions ...

1.) What would you do about a golf cart? It doesn't seem like there will be enough room in the carts that they rent at FW and the off-site places rent for 7 days and we will really only need one for maybe 4. Does that mean we will have to rent two?? We could sit an adult, toddler & teen across the front and then an adult, 8 year old & teen across the back and then the baby in our laps?

2.) Is there enough room for the pack & play in the bedroom? The pics don't really show that.

3.) We will be driving, so should we drive to the parks or use the bus system?

Thanks for your help! I have missed the boards since planning our last trip!

Hi, and welcome to the camping boards!

I can't really answer your first two questions, but I'll try to answer #3. Should you drive or take the bus to the parks? The answer is Yes.

What I mean is, we do both depending on circumstances. Most of the time we use Disney transportation. It's just more relaxing and "vacationy" to me. I don't have to use my brain. Especially if we are going to Epcot and I want to enjoy a few beverages in the WS. But, we typically drive to AK as the bus seems to take FOREVER. And sometimes we'll drive if we are on a certain schedule, or want to make sure we make rope drop, or stuff like that. MK we always take the boat.

Hope you have a great trip!

Welcome to the Camping Boards!

I'll take a stab at your questions:

1. You possibly could fit five kids and two adults on a golf cart. I've seen that and more done. But, it is not a safe situation. You would be better off having everyone take turns on the cart.

2. Yes, a pack-and-play will fit in the bedroom. But, it will take up almost all of the available floor space.

3. I agree with Dave on the driving to the parks issue. Take Disney transportation unless you're in a hurry to get somewhere by a certain time.

Have a great trip!

TCD

The only park we use Disney transportation from the Fort for is the boat to MK cause it is such a nice ride. Otherwise we take our truck. Waiting for anywhere from 1 to 20 minutes for a bus to take us to the outpost then another 1 to 20 minutes for the bus to a park (we always seem to have to wait closer to the 20 minutes), and inevitably there is a bunch of people waiting for the same bus we want so we have to wait for another bus, is just wasted time in my opinion. I can hop in my truck and be there, parking is free for resort guests. With as many kids as you have and their ages you'll probably have a stroller or 2 plus assorted bags filled with supplies. Lugging all that stuff on and off multiple buses is for the birds.

This is just my opinion but I like to rely on Disney Transportation and not have to worry about directions etc. We were just there for 21 days before, during, and after Christmas. I honestly believe we never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus either internal or outside FW. And only a couple times at park closing we ran into a full bus with folks having to stand, but everyone got on. I think they did an excellent job over the holidays. The boats as well!

But.....if you need to go to another resort, driving your own car is your best bet, with the exception of the MK Resorts.

Welcome to the Camping Boards!

I'll take a stab at your questions:

1. You possibly could fit five kids and two adults on a golf cart. I've seen that and more done. But, it is not a safe situation. You would be better off having everyone take turns on the cart.

2. Yes, a pack-and-play will fit in the bedroom. But, it will take up almost all of the available floor space.

3. I agree with Dave on the driving to the parks issue. Take Disney transportation unless you're in a hurry to get somewhere by a certain time.

Have a great trip!

TCD

I agree with TCD on his answers.

To give further details,

1. Tee Time golf cart rentals are cheaper than Disney by almost half. There is a thread floating on the Camping Board about renting 3rd party carts. We've used Tee Time/Kenny and highly recommend him. Given the size/ages of your kids, you might squeeze everyone on a cart but always ALWAYS be safe, go slow, and look out for the other guy! Hold on tight to everyone.

2. A pack-and-play will fill the floor space between the bunk bed and the double bed in the cabin bedroom. My suggestion would be to put all your kids in the bedroom (2 in the double, 2 in the bunk beds, 1 in the p-&-p) and you and DH take the Murphy bed in the living room. As a father that's the way I would do it. :woohoo:

3. We've always driven to the parks except for MK (we take the boat from the Fort marina). Less hassle and your Fort parking pass gets you in to the theme park lot for no extra cost. But if you are not in a hurry the Disney bus system works fine too.

You'll LOVE feeding your crew at the cabin and saving money on meals in the parks. There are Winn Dixie and Publix groceries within minutes of the Fort (10 to WD my fave) and we always eat breakfast at the Fort, pack a lunch for the parks (rent a locker to stash it in till mealtime - no glass, alchohol), and then enjoy dinner some place.

And take time to enjoy the amenities of the Fort. The pool, daily kids activities, campfire/singalong, and nightly movies.

Enjoy your time together. :grouphug:

Bama ED

Let me add something else...that the other nice thing about the cabins (this is also true of having an RV at the Fort) is the option of coming back from the parks at lunch time to grab a bite, and then napping the little ones for a couple hours while the older kids and one of you go to the pool or do something else. You save more meal money that way eating in your own kitchen, and we've always found if we could get the little ones to nap we have a better evening. But that plan never worked too well in regular hotel rooms. Anyways, you didn't ask that, but I just wanted to throw it out to you or anyone else researching the benefits of the Fort.

Just to answer your question about the pack and play let me tell you what we did just last month. We put the pack n play in the closet in the bedroom. It does not have a door but rather a curtain to close it off. The pack n play fit about 90% in the "closet" and we were able to use the curtain to provide extra darkness for our daughter. This worked really well and really saved us floor space in the actual room.

If you're driving and have a bike rack, I'd bring a few bikes along for the trip. I'm sure they'd come in handy. Looks like you've got some older kids that would want to go off on their own a bit. If someone's got the golf cart, the bikes are a great leisurely way to explore the Fort. While they do rent them, it can add up.

1. That sounds like a tight squeeze on the cart. You will need to drive really slow or take turns. That would make me nervous - but if you have an adult holding the baby and the baby and toddler in separate seats you might be okay. Definitely price out Kenny - there's a thread around here somewhere - just search for it and it'll probably pop up.

2. I know you can fit the PNP between the beds, but whoever is in the bottom bunks will be totally blocked in. This is about the third person I've heard mention the closet thing - I would totally do that! Another option might be between the foot of the bunks and the "vanity" area. I like Ed's plan of putting all the kiddos in the bedroom and you guys stake out the Murphy Bed. :thumbsup2

3. We are big fans of the Disney transportation system - but that becomes a personal choice I guess. DEFINITELY take the boat to MK. I would also really lean toward driving to AK. If you have park-hoppers, it is also nice because you can move to a different park much more quickly than taking the tram out to your car, driving, parking, getting back up to the gates, etc. But, if you get there the first day and decide the busses aren't for you, then just drive! Your vehicle will be right outside your door!;)

Two pieces of unsolicited info for ya:

1. There is no safe in the cabin. We solved that problem by locking any "valuables" in our car when we were not at the cabin.

2. With that size family, I would definitely request a smaller loop and try to get a cabin toward the front. If you want to get REALLY specific, I think the best cabin locations are 2100 loop, near front, inner loop.

Have fun and prepare yourself! You're about to get addicted to the Fort! :banana::banana:

You guys are the best! :thumbsup2 Great information on everything and especially things we didn't think about (like the location of the cabin).

This will be our first time driving and we are really looking forward to having more control with our schedule and also being able to drive to the store for groceries :goodvibes

We are excited about finding a place that can accomodate us all and still feel like we are close to MK:earsboy:

Thanks again & I'm sure I'll be back with more questions in the coming months ;)

There is a safe in the cabins. It is in the closet in the bedroom, but very small about 12"x12"x 2" thick. We have used it many times.

We are a big family too - 4 kids aged 9 to 7 months. All boys :) We've not done the cabins as we have a camper. But these things popped into my head:

Pea-pod - a great alternative to a pack and play. Folds up into a circle so fits in a suitcase too! Takes up much less 'foot print' - assume it would fit totally in the closet :) http://www.amazon.com/KidCo-PeaPod-...OY9O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1295297113&sr=8-5

Golfcart - we have never rented one. We usually walk up to the boat (but the campsites are closer to the lake than the cabins). The 'big' MK boat will let you take strollers on still up (so sleeping kids can stay asleep) and bags/sweaters/stuff can stay in the basket. All other transport insist that you fold up your stroller which irritates the heck out of us, and makes a pack horse of Mom and Dad!

Driving - having younger kids, we always drive to the other parks - parking is included as you are staying 'on property'. We get to the parks first thing ready for opening so its easier and less time consuming than traveling via Dis Buses. Its also so much easier to get home at the end of the day when they are tired and grumpy! Especially saves the day if the weather is terrible!

The local Wal-Mart is great and this last time (Nov/Dec 10) had FINALLY got themselves organized with a huge Disney clothing section... t-shirts for 1/3rd of the price of Disney :)

Bex

I don't know anything about the cabins, but we'll be bringing our bikes since we won't fit in a cart, and we'll probably be taking the bus.

We are a big family too - 4 kids aged 9 to 7 months. All boys :) We've not done the cabins as we have a camper. But these things popped into my head:

Pea-pod - a great alternative to a pack and play. Folds up into a circle so fits in a suitcase too! Takes up much less 'foot print' - assume it would fit totally in the closet :) http://www.amazon.com/KidCo-PeaPod-...OY9O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1295297113&sr=8-5

Golfcart - we have never rented one. We usually walk up to the boat (but the campsites are closer to the lake than the cabins). The 'big' MK boat will let you take strollers on still up (so sleeping kids can stay asleep) and bags/sweaters/stuff can stay in the basket. All other transport insist that you fold up your stroller which irritates the heck out of us, and makes a pack horse of Mom and Dad!

Driving - having younger kids, we always drive to the other parks - parking is included as you are staying 'on property'. We get to the parks first thing ready for opening so its easier and less time consuming than traveling via Dis Buses. Its also so much easier to get home at the end of the day when they are tired and grumpy! Especially saves the day if the weather is terrible!

The local Wal-Mart is great and this last time (Nov/Dec 10) had FINALLY got themselves organized with a huge Disney clothing section... t-shirts for 1/3rd of the price of Disney :)

Bex

I have a friend with the pea-pod ... I need to check it out and maybe I can just borrow hers ;)

I agree about folding strollers with all the gear packed in the bottom :confused3 NOTHING easy about that so I love that I can leave the stroller open on the boat!

I never thought about being able to be at the parks as early as we want but that is definitely an added benefit. We have tried that with the buses but you end up losing time still because you are using travel time to other resorts. We need all the time we can get just to get ourselves ready each day :thumbsup2

I also hadn't thought about the Wal-mart shopping option for souvenirs and t-shirts! Thanks so much for your input :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter