What would you do about Dining plan?

ajwolfe

DIS Veteran
We are going to WDW in Jan 2006, our ds will be 2.5 yrs old at the time. We have found a great house off Disney with a private pool and hottub for a very reasonable rate. Now here is the problem: In the beginning I was wanting to stay on Disney (budget would only afford Value) and use the Dining Plan but DH was against the dining plan. Well now, after some more discussion he likes it. So we are stuck: do we stay on site in a Value resort and not be as comfortable or do we stay off site and have a ton more space and just pay for our meals as we go (and probably not eat as many big meals). Do you really think with a 2.5 yr old we will get that much good out of the table service meals? I know we would do some regardless but probably not one every day. Really needing some insight here. :confused3

Thanks

It really depends on your family...if you plan to have some meals at the house you will stay at or not. Will you be in your place alot or at the parks more?

Personally, I would never trade staying on site for anything. I like being on Disney property no matter where we stay. I think the dining plan is good in your case because your little one is free. :smooth:
For 2 adults I think its a good value.

Weigh it out & see what will "fit" your family better..enjoy.

Agree, it depends on what suits your needs best. Which do you care more about a private pool off site, or a meal plan and an on-site stay?
Your husband was against the meal plan to start.
I think you will have a good time whatever your choice is. But with a little one you may :confused3 get more enjoyment from a pool.
On the other hand many parents don't want their kids easy access to a pool under any conditions. That might just be something you end up fretting over or having to over monitor during your vacation.
I agree it depends on how much you plan on being in the parks.
If it was a lot, I would go for on-site.

After staying off site a couple of times then switching to on site, I'll never stay off site again. I felt like the disney magic was everywhere. There are a couple of other issues. Parking is free if you stay onsite (plus there is transportation), and fairly expensive if off site. The meal plan is wonderful, especially since your child is still under 3.

If you're going on a Florida vacation, I'd say rent the house. If you're going on a disney vacation, I'd say, stay on property and do the meal plan.

Either way, I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Allie

Thanks for the thoughts. I guess the problem is we just can't make up our minds, LOL. The pool at the house does have locks to it, so I wouldn't be concerned with the easy access. I guess I am just afraid we are going to feel very cramped at a Value resort and wish we had more space.

:cool1: When we go in May 2006 I want to be fully informed. Where can I find information about the Dining Plan? Do you have to have a package to get the Dining plan? I'm just all full of questions and I know my friends here at the DIS can help me out!

Thanks in advance. :earboy2:

Lisa

Lisa-
There is information on WDW website regarding the dining plan and which restaurants & counter service places accept it.
You do have to book a package with WDW to get it, including your lodging, tickets and the dining plan, thus the reason for our dilemma.
HTH

In the mousesaveers newsletter for May there are some great prices on the premium package. I was wondering if that is the same package. I have DS 15 and DD 17 for our trip in May 06. Meals will be a nice addition to the package.

Lisa :earboy2:

Do you plan on going to the parks every day? With the dining plan, you also have to buy tickets for all the days you are there (although I guess you could add no-exp. and use some of them on another trip).

Will you pay extra to heat your pool? When we were at WDW last Jan. it was cold, cold, cold. We were there for a week beginning with MLK weekend. It finally warmed up enough on Thurs. so the kids could swim. The WDW resort pools are heated. But out of the whole week, that was still the only nice day for swimming. Of course, weather is iffy, YMMV.

How far is the drive to your off-site location? Sometimes it's hard to do half days and go back and forth if the drive is too far.

Don't forget to add in the parking cost if staying off-site, currently $8. per day (but good for the whole day and at different parks during the day).

Good luck deciding!

dis-happy: It was my understanding that you did NOT have to buy tickets for each day, you could buy any amount of days that works for your own itinerary. :confused3 You MUST, however, purchase at least one days' ticket for each package you purchase. So for those of us splitting resorts, we must purchase at least one park ticket pp for each stay. If I am wrong, please correct me, but this is what I have been told numerous times and in fact purchased a one-day tickets for a six-day package I have for POP in November. Brenda

PatsGirl said:
dis-happy: It was my understanding that you did NOT have to buy tickets for each day, you could buy any amount of days that works for your own itinerary. :confused3 You MUST, however, purchase at least one days' ticket for each package you purchase. So for those of us splitting resorts, we must purchase at least one park ticket pp for each stay. If I am wrong, please correct me, but this is what I have been told numerous times and in fact purchased a one-day tickets for a six-day package I have for POP in November. Brenda
You are correct... the tickets DO NOT have to match the number of days at the hotel or dining. What does have to match is the number of nights at the resort hotel and the number of days of Dining. If you have a six day package, you will have six days of Dining, but you can purchase one day up to six day, or even ten day tickets. As long as you get at least a one day MYW ticket for each person on your reservation, you are set.

We did not buy park tix for every day we were there and we still used the dining plan. We just went to resort restaurants like concourse steakhouse in the contemporary and things like that. With little ones it may be convenient to have more space but it will also be convenient to catch the bus back to your resort take a quick nap or cool down and head back into the parks, you don't wait in traffic just on and off the bus, its quick and makes afternoons away from the park easy. We did this with DD4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter