• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What would you do (3 days to "Kill" in Orlando)

clarkgriswold

"Vacation? This is no vacation! This is a Quest!"
Hey there folks!

I've got an unexpected three days to kill in the Orlando area with my 14 year old. Should be fun. We've been to Orlando multiple times as a full family of 5, so we know the lay of the land pretty well.

BUT......other than the "parks" (Disney / Universal / SeaWorld / Discovery Cove) we've have't really explored.

I've been able to get a reservation for two of the night at the RPH. We'll go to IOA one day. What else should we do? Where should we spend the extra night? The two nights I took were the only available.

Just looking for suggestions.

Thanks

Why not do an extra day at Universal? You've got the RPR keys. Put them to good use! :)

Otherwise, Orlando has numerous small attractions. If you have a 14 year old, try the Orlando Science Center. You can spend an entire day there. Check them out at: www.osc.org

Also, try SAK Comedy Lab, which is the funniest place I've ever been. Wayne Brady got his start there. Check out: www.sak.com

BARRY, YOU FREAKING RULE!

Definitely hit Sak comedy lab when you're in town any night Tuesday-Saturday. Go *this* Tuesday and you'll see me on stage! :)

There's plenty of smaller attractions around in Orlando. Go to I-drive and you've got the Hard Rock Vault, Ripley's Believe it or Not, and Wonderworks all in fairly close range.

What about the haunted house attraction on International Drive? I believe it's called Skull Kingdom. Does anyone know what that is like?

Which is better, Wonderworks or Ripley's? I'll have a few days free after my 5-consecutive at US/IOA. Has anyone been to Fun Spot off of I-Drive? How many hours can one spend in any of these places? Are they all day or half day places? We haven't really been out of the US/IOA area. After 5 days at the wonderful US/IOA, we may be ready to spread our wings a bit.

I think you'll need more parks to stay interested. The side things are fun, but you can do them at night.

You could visit Old Town in Kissimmee and ride the sky coaster since it's 300 feet up.
Been to BGT? Since you'll have a rental car, you can drive the 75 miles to Tampa.
Wet N' Wild is also a good idea, get there early and the slides have short lines. You can be done with WnW by lunch time if you're there when the gate opens.

Originally posted by Lola1
Which is better, Wonderworks or Ripley's? I'll have a few days free after my 5-consecutive at US/IOA. Has anyone been to Fun Spot off of I-Drive? How many hours can one spend in any of these places? Are they all day or half day places? We haven't really been out of the US/IOA area. After 5 days at the wonderful US/IOA, we may be ready to spread our wings a bit.
Wonderworks and Ripley's are totally different. I've been to fun spot, and you can spend quite a bit of time there riding all their go kart tracks and whatnot. They're mostly half-day places, but very fun.

We spent almost two full weeks in orlando in August (and we've been 11 times since 1991) so we're pretty much "parked-out" as far as WDW and USF / IOA go. The kid DOES want to take a few spins on HULK and Dragons, so we'll do one day at IOA.

On the issue of lodging, any thoughts? Paying $200/night at RPH, so I'd like to get something fairly cheap.

Anyone stayed at any of the properties at the "Marriott Village?"

I've got a gold preferred guest status with Marriott from all my business travel, so I can get a good rate at the Courtyard, Fairfield or Residence Inn at the Marriott Village. Anyone out there styaed there before?

It's off I-4. Going eastbound, you'd get off at 83B. Then you turn left at the light, left at the next light, and right into the parking garage. Parking can be up to $5 and Sak is located near the TD Waterhouse Center and the Bob Carr Performing Arts Center. Shows are at 9pm Tuesday and Wednesday. 8pm and 10pm Thurs-Sat.

Just be warned that if there are fewer than 20 people to see a show, it will be cancelled. Friday and Saturday shows almost never get cancelled, and the Tuesday shows are guaranteed to go on, regardless of audience size.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter