What Would You Bring to Antiques Roadshow?

snarlingcoyote

<font color=blue>I know people who live in really
Antiques Roadshow is coming to our city this summer. You put in for a lottery to get 2 tickets. Well, I've put in for the lottery.

On the off chance I'm one of the lucky few who gets tickets, I'm left trying to decide what to bring. I know the value of my quilts and my 1st editions, so they're out. The information says that if you're willing to bring furniture, they'll deliver it to and from the show, and I do have a great old primitive piece of furniture that is about 180 years old, but it has ALL of my clothes - everything that isn't hanging - in it, and that's a LOT of clothes. So that's probably out.

I might just borrow some Coushatta pine straw baskets of my mom's, add my own Coushatta basket and Choctaw baskets and see what they tell me they're worth. I think I know, actually, but none of them are insured, so it might be worth it.

What wouldyou bring to Antiques Roadshow?

My mom has a vase that was given to my grandfather around 1930 or 1940 as a Christmas bonus. It's not signed or stamped and she hates that she doesn't know who made it - it's very unique. My mom also has a painting that was supposed to be worth money. Those would be my two items.

I have a bunch of old silver pieces I would love to get looked at. I have one piece that is either 150 years old or a fake.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

China head doll that has been in my family since the mid 1800's and a rocker that is hand carved that is about as old.

3rd an 4th choices would be the 7 ppl figurines that the family brought over from England when they came about 1830 give or take a couple of yrs. The rolling pen my great great whatever made on the way over from England.

We have a J Gaston painting that DH found in a storage unit with a beautiful frame. I have yet to find the same painting online. We have always wondered what it is worth.

My dad has a US Calvary dress sword from around the time of the Spanish-American. At least that is what he thinks it is. Also have a framed print of President Harrison. A nice one, think the frame is original. Was hanging in the garage of a house we used to live in when we moved in. My dad liked it so he kept it. And it still hangs in the garage.

I was lucky enough to get tickets to the Boston tour in 2012. I brought some old Duncan Miller oil lamps that my husband thought would be worth a bit of money - they were reproductions and worth $100! I also brought some vintage tattoo flash that my step daughter had on the wall in her tattoo parlor. They had a hard time appraising that and basically told me that I should send pictures to a dealer to get approaisals but since the art was by a known artist, it was probably worth quite a few bucks. I had some unusual stuff like a naked Betty Boop! I still need to follow up on that, especially since on last night's show they did a special piece on vintage tattoo art.

The show is awful fun to do! I hope you get tickets. The longest and slowest lines were oriental art and paintings. I don't know about oriental art but one of the appraisers told us that paintings is always really long and slow. So I wouldn't bring a painting unless I was really curious.

We brought folding chairs and crates on wheels to carry our stuff in. We had snacks and beverages. My best friend and I were so hoping that the tour would be coming near us this year too!

I have a set of Royal Daulton hand-painted dessert dishes with matching saucers that were my great-grandmother's. I'm old myself, so they're pretty old.

I also have a large engraved-all-over pewter soup tureen from Turkey. Don't know how old it is, but it's been "tinned" inside so it could actually be used. Don't know if that detracts from its value.

One more thing I might take is a jade head with a face carved on all four sides (same face on all four sides). It's about 6 inches high, sitting on a 1-inch base. The carving is exquisite, and the head weighs a ton! DH sent it home with his household effects when he was evacuated from Viet Nam in March 1975. Don't know if it's Vietnamese or Thai or Cambodian or Laotian. It was a gift from one of his local employees at the Consulate in Can Tho.

I'm just curious as to the value of the pieces; I woudn't sell any of them.

Queen Colleen

If they ever had "Worthless Junk Roadshow", I'd be a shoe-in!

The only thing I own that's of any value are 2 crewel needleworks stitched by either my grandmother or her mother. My mother never remembers her stitching them, so they might be much older. In any event, I'd like to know if they're worth more than just sentimental value. My grandmother taught me needlecrafts, so to me they are priceless. I have them framed and hanging in my living room.

The only thing I own that's of any value are 2 crewel needleworks stitched by either my grandmother or her mother. My mother never remembers her stitching them, so they might be much older. In any event, I'd like to know if they're worth more than just sentimental value. My grandmother taught me needlecrafts, so to me they are priceless. I have them framed and hanging in my living room.

ROFL me too! LOL

I don't have anything valuable that I would need to take to a antique show but man, I love to watch that show. :)

Dh was once renovating a house that was built in the early 1700 and he found a piece of scrimshaw in the wall. Also he has a book autographed by JFK so those would be the 2 things I would bring.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I have a lot of my great grandmothers needlework , such as hairpin lace tablecloths, quilts, doilies, etc..she's the one who taught me to sew and do needlwork. The only other thing I have that was passed down is a Mother of Pearl cannister set, including ones that held oil, vinegar, a salt box, and smaller ones for the individual spices. Some day I would like to see if that set is worth anything!

:rotfl:

Since my parents immigrated across the sea, we don't have a lot of antiques. They left most of that back in China. And DH's parents' families were dirt poor, so they didn't have much stuff.

My mom did come with a set of porcelain dishes from China (real china from China!). It was considered to be part of her dowry (yes, they still believed in that back then!). We have some carved ivory figures (this was from long ago, before the ivory trade was banned) that she brought too.

I could also bring my very own 1960 almost-original Barbie, still in her original cardboard box and red one-piece swimsuit.
She looks like this:
128356476_1960s-vintage-blond-bubblecut-barbie-doll-850-woss-nice-.jpg

but I think she just sold on eBay for only $27.97!

I applied for tickets this year to the show in Anaheim. Close enough!

I've been trying each year. The only year I won tickets was for the show in Las Vegas, and I had to cancel due to an emergency that came up.

I have an item I am DYING to take in. It is so hard to explain what it is but I will try.

It is the size of a framed movie poster. It is a hand-drawn and framed Birthday Card to Danny Thomas. It has over 120 signature on it, from Don Knotts, to Mary Tyler Moore, to Pat Carroll, to Andy Griffith, Joey Bishop, Dick Van Dyke, Rose Marie, Morey Amsterdam...and it even has Ronny Howard's autograph in child handwriting. It is from 1963. I even have Carl Reiner's signature on it.

I don't really care what the value is. Everyone's writing was done in RED INK!!! What the heck? How do I make this thing last forever? THAT is my concern.

Although I do work in TV, I got it by sheer luck. One of the Midcentury Modern dealers we buy from in Palm Springs had bought Danny's estate. He had about 7 of these birthday cards from various years. He had NO idea what he had and didn't knowt the signatures. I agreed on a price, bought it, and then I told him what he had.

When the stage I was on was working on The Bucket List, I asked Rob Reiner into my office and he said it was indeed his father's signature. He was so cute, he thought maybe I was a descendant of someone, but no, I had to fess up that I was a noboby. He was very sweet about it.

I've been trying each year. The only year I won tickets was for the show in Las Vegas, and I had to cancel due to an emergency that came up.

I have an item I am DYING to take in. It is so hard to explain what it is but I will try.

It is the size of a framed movie poster. It is a hand-drawn and framed Birthday Card to Danny Thomas. It has over 120 signature on it, from Don Knotts, to Mary Tyler Moore, to Pat Carroll, to Andy Griffith, Joey Bishop, Dick Van Dyke, Rose Marie, Morey Amsterdam...and it even has Ronny Howard's autograph in child handwriting. It is from 1963. I even have Carl Reiner's signature on it.

I don't really care what the value is. Everyone's writing was done in RED INK!!! What the heck? How do I make this thing last forever? THAT is my concern.

Although I do work in TV, I got it by sheer luck. One of the Midcentury Modern dealers we buy from in Palm Springs had bought Danny's estate. He had about 7 of these birthday cards from various years. He had NO idea what he had and didn't knowt the signatures. I agreed on a price, bought it, and then I told him what he had.

When the stage I was on was working on The Bucket List, I asked Rob Reiner into my office and he said it was indeed his father's signature. He was so cute, he thought maybe I was a descendant of someone, but no, I had to fess up that I was a noboby. He was very sweet about it.

wow..that sounds pretty awesome. Can you find someone locally who can tell you how to preserve the red ink on the signatures. I would love to see a picture of that card, how cool!

I just got a child sized rocking chair that my grandmother had when she was a child, so it's at least 90 years old. I doubt it's worth much (since it's been refinished and that's death on the value of antiques) but I'd love more info about it. Even if it was worth a fortune, I'd never part with it, but just to know more about it (and insure it if need be) would be neat.

Meanwhile it holds stuffed animals in my DD's room. :goodvibes

We have a crystal bowl that was given to us for our wedding in 1990 from a 90-year old friend of my grandmothers, that had been her grandmother's. The note in it said her grandmother used it for cranberry sauce for holidays every year, so that's what I use it for.

I'd like to know the age and more information on it, if possible -- there aren't any markings, and it looks like it could have been bought yesterday in a department store.

The other? I don't know. My mother has a very old Hummel nativity piece (very small, about 3") which is marked, but isn't painted (it's white glazed) -- doesn't appear in any of the books, so we'd probably borrow that from her to get more information.

I also have a couple of old watercolors that I've picked up at yard sales, eBay, etc. just when I like the picture -- those would be nice to know the history/value.

I was lucky enough to get tickets to the Boston tour in 2012. I brought some old Duncan Miller oil lamps that my husband thought would be worth a bit of money - they were reproductions and worth $100! I also brought some vintage tattoo flash that my step daughter had on the wall in her tattoo parlor. They had a hard time appraising that and basically told me that I should send pictures to a dealer to get approaisals but since the art was by a known artist, it was probably worth quite a few bucks. I had some unusual stuff like a naked Betty Boop! I still need to follow up on that, especially since on last night's show they did a special piece on vintage tattoo art.

The show is awful fun to do! I hope you get tickets. The longest and slowest lines were oriental art and paintings. I don't know about oriental art but one of the appraisers told us that paintings is always really long and slow. So I wouldn't bring a painting unless I was really curious.

We brought folding chairs and crates on wheels to carry our stuff in. We had snacks and beverages. My best friend and I were so hoping that the tour would be coming near us this year too!

Oooohhhh! Thanks for the advice! Someone I know has one of those little seats that folds flat and can be used as a walking stick - I'll borrow that - and my lunch bag for work is a little mini-Vera Bradley, so I can use that to keep some drinks in! I wouldn't have thought about it. Or about bringing a cart or somesuch on wheels. Hopefully, the line for little American Indian baskets from the turn of 20th century isn't too long. I might even bring my little Colima dancing dogs too. That's IF I get in, LOL!

If they ever had "Worthless Junk Roadshow", I'd be a shoe-in.

Ohhhh yeah, they could have one show just about my worthless junk! :rotfl2:

OMGoodness! That is just. . .WOW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter