What would you accept for safer flying?

ducklite said:
I have no problem with this. In fact I voluntarily submitted my fingerprints, retina scan, background info and passport info to the federal government in order to be cleared as a "trusted traveler." If you have nothing to hide, then you shouldn't be afraid of doing so. If you've got something to hide, then you shouldn't be on a plane. It's not rocket science.

Anne
Well, I could not agree more. But if you think there is outrage over the inconvenience of no liquids....just throw out the 'background check/fingerprinting/screened, etc' idea and pop some popcorn. I'll bring the drinks.

cardaway said:
In fact that's one of the things you could do, just get a good sized group of people all to board the same plane.
great, why not just hand them some blueprints cardaway...sheesh. (just joking;))
:rotfl2:

I think people are quick to say most anything is acceptable to them re airplane security because most people don't fly everyday. But then you have to consider all of the other potential targets, and ask yourself what you'd be willing to put up with in many other aspects of your life. In Spain and England they attacked commuters, and in Israel many buses have been blown up. Bombers have attacked shopping areas and anywhere else where folks gather.

It's not realistic to think we're going to search everyone who rides the subway, or enters a shopping mall, or high-rise apartment building. Let alone the question of whether we want to live in such a world (and whether such concessions are a victory for terrorists). It makes me sad to visit DC and see all of the security measures around public buildings where I used to roam freely. While we need to take some reasonable steps, we also unfortunately will have to live with some level of insecurity.

Thr answer to this query is for everyone to be VIGILANT! God help you/Allah help you/or whomever if you have nefarious plans on a plane I am on. Like Anne, I have no qualms about speaking up, or in the worse-case scenario, making sure you don't get up. To all potential and existing terrorists - STAY AWAY FROM US - or I'll help you meet your maker quicker if you mess with me, my family, friends, or other people I am sworn to protect!

Mister Incredible said:
Check everything!

Follow up with baggage tags. Las Vegas is the only airport I have been to where they check luggage tickets to the tickets given to you at the claims desk before you leave the baggage area.

Planes should be equiped with internet access so people don't need to bring on PDAs, cell phones or laptops for any flight under 3 hours.

The world survived just fine a few years ago without cell phones, pda and laptops on airplanes. People have to realize they are not as important as they believe they are and their companies can survive without contact from them while they are flying. If you want to fly with those item, hire a charter jet!
We just got back from Las Vegas and it's the only airport where a piece of our luggage got lost on arrival. Nobody was checking any luggage tags. :confused3

Yeah...I know the argument...we survived fine years ago without cell phones, etc. Many years ago, people survived without ANY phones, or planes, or electricity, or running water, or cars. So? DH just started NOT taking his laptop because he has a Blackberry. Cell phones are the ONE thing I wouldnt agree to NOT take on a plane, esp after what happened on 9/11.

MaryAnnDVC said:
We just got back from Las Vegas and it's the only airport where a piece of our luggage got lost on arrival. Nobody was checking any luggage tags. :confused3

Yeah...I know the argument...we survived fine years ago without cell phones, etc. Many years ago, people survived without ANY phones, or planes, or electricity, or running water, or cars. So? DH just started NOT taking his laptop because he has a Blackberry. Cell phones are the ONE thing I wouldnt agree to NOT take on a plane, esp after what happened on 9/11.
EXACTLY! If it weren't for those cell phones, we wouldn't have known what was happening on the 3rd flight!

dianeschlicht said:
EXACTLY! If it weren't for those cell phones, we wouldn't have known what was happening on the 3rd flight!
Not only that, but the people on the 3rd flight wouldn't have known what had happened with the other two, and perhaps that plane would have hit its intended target.

My cell phone stays with me...always. ::yes::

I'm with MaryAnnDVC and dianeschlicht. How many lives on the ground were saved because Flight 93 passengers had cell phones?

OK, is anyone really not wanting to sit next to Ducklite on a plane right now? ;)

katerkat said:
OK, is anyone really not wanting to sit next to Ducklite on a plane right now? ;)

Hey now, just looking after ya'll... ;)

Anne

Just to clarify something I said upthread, the small sealed botted of waters are fine. I was talking about the larger bottles that they pour you a cup from during beverage service if you ask for water instead of a softdrink. These are often refilled, although they aren't supposed to be.

Cool-Beans said:
Where I live, we have no cops. You could call the county Sheriffs, but by the time they got there, you'd be out of luck with whatever your problem was. And we get along just fine. No. I'm saying we should quit playing defense and not have Americans worried about when the next plane will blow up or whether nuclear bombs are going to go off or what is going to happen on August 22.

Innocent Americans shouldn't be the ones worrying. Terrorists ought to be the ones worrying.

Damn straight.

Mandatory guns for pilots.

Mandatory guns for flight attendants.

And, what the heck... passengers, too.

You wanna try and mess with MY plane... go ahead and try. See how far you get.

NRA Airlines.

I like it. And if anyone steals my idea, I want 10% (of gross, not net... how many airlines are actually profitable, anyway?!?)

rayelias said:
Damn straight.

Mandatory guns for pilots.

Mandatory guns for flight attendants.

And, what the heck... passengers, too.

You wanna try and mess with MY plane... go ahead and try. See how far you get.

NRA Airlines.

I like it. And if anyone steals my idea, I want 10% (of gross, not net... how many airlines are actually profitable, anyway?!?)
I'm not that into the NRA, but would happily fly their airline. I'll jump for joy if they build their own runways. :)

Will you also be equipping the planes with the anti-missile systems, like the Israelis have?

Cool-Beans said:
I'm not that into the NRA, but would happily fly their airline. I'll jump for joy if they build their own runways. :)

Will you also be equipping the planes with the anti-missile systems, like the Israelis have?

Yep! And around the runway would be a mote filled with "sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads."

On board (as a triubute to the liberals) we would serve "Kool Aid." You know, get 'em to our side of thinking.

The on board movies must star either Clint Eastwood, John Wayne, Lee Marvin or Charles Bronson.

To read, forget that magazine with all the overly expensive electronics in it. Only Guns & Ammo, Field and Stream, and Readers Digest (it's MY airline, and *I* like the stories.)

Alan Alda, Susan Serandon and the Baldwins would be denied boarding. (Well, *maybe* Stephen, but he'd have to sit in the back).

And, all the window shades would have pictures of Ronald Reagan on them when you pulled them down.

I'm starting to like this idea...

rayelias said:
Yep! And around the runway would be a mote filled with "sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads."

On board (as a triubute to the liberals) we would serve "Kool Aid." You know, get 'em to our side of thinking.

The on board movies must star either Clint Eastwood, John Wayne, Lee Marvin or Charles Bronson.

To read, forget that magazine with all the overly expensive electronics in it. Only Guns & Ammo, Field and Stream, and Readers Digest (it's MY airline, and *I* like the stories.)

Alan Alda, Susan Serandon and the Baldwins would be denied boarding. (Well, *maybe* Stephen, but he'd have to sit in the back).

And, all the window shades would have pictures of Ronald Reagan on them when you pulled them down.

...and all the blankets will be red, white and blue.

Never defined myself as a conservative, but if it means I can hop on a plane with my Diet Sprite (and without strangers touching my personal areas) and sit and watch "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" (John Wayne AND Lee Marvin!), I'll take some of your Kool-Aid, please. :)

I would be willing to go with more of a limit on carry-ons, say "no more than one carry-on per passenger" (excepting carseats being used on the plane and items that must be gate checked). I think a further limit on carry-ons would make it easier for TSA to concentrate on the bags that they must check (ie. fewer bags means more time to check the carry-on bags that there are).

Also, I've heard rumors that there may be a requirement in the future for all passengers to have a passport for domestic travel. I don't have a problem with that, especially if it makes it faster and easier for TSA to do their job.

Going without any carry-on liquids might be more of a pain, but not impossible.

rayelias said:

Finally, an airline I would gladly give my money to. Where do I sign up? :rotfl:

shameless bump - can we also ban Barbra Streisand.......

The airlines should keep a close eye on the baggage handlers. There should be camera's everywhere, and each employee working that job should be searched before leaving work. This is not too much to ask. They do this at other businesses.

Same with car rental agencies. I have had things stolen when I left things under the seat, but went right back to get them....and the things were no where to be found. Obviously, someone who who took posession of my car (the person who was going to clean it, perhaps?) stole my expensive things. And, there was nothing I could do about it. Those people should be searched before leaving work, as well. Camera's don't cost that much, and more people would be happy for the extra precautionary measures being taken.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter