"What Would Walt Do?" Update

inkkognito

<font color=green>I shall call him Mini-Me<br><fon
Before our Thanksgiving cruise, I purchased some pins from the "What Would Walt Do?" website and handed them out to some crew members. When you hand out the pins, you send an email to the site with details, and they will supposedly post the information. It took a little while, but I noticed this weekend that my nominations are there, along with several others. Here is a link to the page with the most recently nominated crew members: http://www.whatwouldwaltdo.com/Pages/castmembers/Honored/index.shtml
We bought enough pins to last for several trips, and I already have some crew members pegged to receive them next time. They are a great way to show your appreciation! (Of course, we will also be bringing plenty of little items such as phone cards, Bath & Body Works goodies, and Frango Mints).
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

and Frango Mints).

That's cool about the pins, but I just wanted to say I would KILL for some Frango Mints!!!! It's been YEARS :( :(

Fortunately, you don't have to go to that extreme

:( Well that kind of takes the challenge out of it!

Thanks Dave, is there ANYTHING you don't know about??:D

Marshall Field's is a department store chain that started in Chicago in 1852. Their State Street store in Chicago takes two square blocks! Marshall Field's started creating a wonderful confection called the Franco mint in the early 20th century. (They changed the name to Frango when the Spanish dictator Francisco Franco came to power). For years, they continued to make these mints on the 8th floor of the State Street store in Chicago. And they've expanded the line to include other flavors of candy and also coffees.

Marshall Field's was sold in 1990 to Dayton Hudson, which is the company that owned Dayton's (a comparable department store chain in the Twin Cities area), Hudson's (a comparable department store in Michigan), and Target (a large discount department store chain nationwide). Since the bulk of the revenues came from Target, the corporation's name was changed to Target Corporation. In 2001, the Dayton's and Hudson's had their names changed to Marshall Field's... expanding on the great name of the great store.

Frangos are now manufactured in Minneapolis (Target's headquarters), but they are still a wonderful, decadent treat. This product is prominently displayed in any Marshall Field's store, but for those of us who live outside Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Ohio and Wisconsin, we can order them online at www.marshallfields.com.

It is a delicious treat sold at Marshall Fields stores in the Chicago area...basically a chocolate with a minty flavor. They are DELICIOUS!!! Although they used to only come in one flavor, I discovered a variety last time we bought some. I'm going to pick up some variety packs to bring with us for crew presents on our Jan. trip. Last time, I got the plain ones because they come in a really cute box with a picture of the Sears Tower.
Any fellow Chicagoans also enjoy Fanny May candy? That's what I brought for the port crew the last time. Those of us who live in the Windy City know how to enjoy our choclates!!
Barb

:earseek: WOW, Dave! I'm impressed!
(By the way, thanks to SingingMom who had the guts to ask. I myself was dying to ask!)
Now I feel really dumb for not knowing because I live in Ohio.
I probably should have known that~my defense is that I live in a small, sleepy town that doesn't have a Marshall Field's.
Anywho :crazy: thanks for the info!

Yes! IMO Fannie May is the best candy ever made. I received three boxed for X-mas & have put them in the freezer. We have to limit ourselves to one piece a day & rarely buy it ourselves because we would probably never eat any other food! Our favorites are Truffles, Trinidads, and of course Pixies. :)

I too love both Frangos and Fannie May Candies.

Dave,

As big as the State Street store is, it's only one square block. I can see it from our office windows.

Originally posted by cruzindon

Dave,

As big as the State Street store is, it's only one square block. I can see it from our office windows.

Really? There's a big, glass atrium in the middle of the store that I thought was over another street. Maybe it's over an alley?

There used to be an alley that passed through the store on the first floor to allow trucks to enter on Washington Street and exit on Randolph St. but part of it was closed off when the store was remodeled about 10 years ago.

I love, love, love Fannie May candy! Mint Meltaways, Pixies,.......
I was in Chicago in Oct. and picked some up at the store across from Marshall Fields, the second's one on the corner of Randolph(?). I think they are tearing down that whole block so that Fannie May store won't be there any more.
I also had lunch in the Walnut Room in Marshall Fields.
My parents are from the Chicago area and I lived in Calumet City until I was 6 yrs old. It's a great city!:)

Yes, legs22 the Fannie May across from Fields will be torn down as well as most of that block of Wabash going south.

A 60 story condo building will be built there with stores on the 1st floor. Fannie May will be back when the building is completed. Several people in my office (including me) are waiting.

Thank you, Dave! I knew I could count on you to shed some light! (Thanks, Barb, too!) I guess I will have to ask my brother to pick me up some Frango mints when he goes to Chicago on business next month!

We, East Coasters know a thing or two about good chocolate. Ever have a real Mallomar?!! I used to work for Nabisco and it was practically a company holiday when the first Mallomar batch of the seaon hit the company store! Since they are made with REAL dark chocolate, they can only carry them in stores during the winter months! See, Dave, I, too know some food trivia! :D

cruzindon:

I'm glad you are getting the Fannie May store back:)

There is one at 130 S. Wabash (west side of street between Monroe and Adams). If you're getting on one of the Metra trains in the Citicorp Center, there is one there (500 W. Madison).

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

On the way to the Art Institute I believe I looked down Madison and saw that Fannie May you mentioned.

Fanny May seems to be everywhere!! We have a number of freestanding stores in the south suburbs, as well as stores in all the malls (Orland Square Mall actually has two), so a chocolate fix is generally only a few miles away. The port crew seemed to enjoy the holiday assortment of Fanny May we brought last time, but we are switching to Frangos again for this trip...the different flavored ones looked too darn tempting last time. They even had Frango Mint ground coffee for sale, too!
Barb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter