• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What would turn you off in a house for sale ?

<snip>

Only one room does not have a closet, that is the guest room off the living room. In my pictures you will see all the closets marked. It does have cabinets and a bureau that will be staying with the house. It is the "post office" room. (Because it was the PO for years.)

What is the size of that room? Maybe it would be better to call it a 4 bedroom house and have that room be considered an office. I think saying 5 bedrooms and it being under 2,000 sq ft, might instantly turn people off.

It's pretty common in New England to have bedrooms without closets in antique homes (and generally in older homes that have them, they were added during a renovation). The key factor is that there must be an egress window, i.e. a window large enough to get a body through.

We also have to have an "egress window" at least in order for anything to be considered a bedroom as well.

the Post Office room... you must show that in some way. That's SO cool!!

Can you get an old photo from your town's records of it?? If you can, frame that and put it on the wall. Or search antique shops (or on-line) for anything from a post office (and old po box drawer, anything!) and put it in that room.

Again, someone who likes old houses will love that!

She DID ask what would turn us off. :confused3

I look at houses online a lot, for my daughter. If I saw a house with no pictures of the kitchen, I'd hit the back button. Call it an attack if you want.

Why did you quote me? I was just asking a simple question about bedroom closets. How is that attacking? I know if I was looking at a house that was 5 bedrooms I would expect them all to have closets. If they don't she may want to consider stating it a different way. So tell me, how is that not helpful advice?

If you both read my *complete* post, I *did* apologize* to both of you. :goodvibes

If you both read my *complete* post, I *did* apologize* to both of you. :goodvibes

Seems you edited it after our replies. So we had read the complete post. No reason why we would go back to re-read it. Seems you didn't read the OP's complete post.

Seems you edited it after our replies. So we had read the complete post. No reason why we would go back to re-read it. Seems you didn't read the OP's complete post.

Actually, looks like we were typing at the same time. I quoted, then reread the OP, then I immediately corrected it.

Actually, I DID read the OP's post, just forgot about asking for feedback. Only remembered the part about "what would we look for in a house".

Can you get an old photo from your town's records of it?? If you can, frame that and put it on the wall. Or search antique shops (or on-line) for anything from a post office (and old po box drawer, anything!) and put it in that room.

Yes, think along those lines. The house we have in NH is 100 years old. I had pieces in there to reflect the age. An old spinning wheel in front of the fireplace and an old metal pot hanging inside it from the flue hook. I had an antiques treadle sewing machine in the little room off the kitchen. Had shelves in the kitchen with antique kitchen gadgets and such. Little touches like that can really bring out the charm in such places.

That's a really good idea. Even looking at thrift shops to find stuff might work. I understand not wanting to spend too much money on it. If you play up the right features you won't need much to give it the right feel.

Just don't hang it on the ceiling. Hang it a LOT lower than the one's you have showing on the walls now.
tigercat

Just went back and read your OP. My mistake, I guess you did ask for a certain amount of feedback on what would *not* be appealing in your home. I apologize to these posters. Just seems like some of the posters are a little harsh, but maybe I'm a little sensitive for you. But, in all fairness to them, guess you asked for it to a degree. ;-}

Thank you.

Totally agree. If you don't do much of anything else, I'd do this.

bellebud said:
i know you said you've already done and/or are going to do some of the main suggestions, so forgive me if you've already updated anything I list.

The living room in the picture - the beam running down the wall is a feature I'd love if I were into old houses - make it stand out more. It blends into the wall now. I know you're going to paint the walls in there lighter. Just spruce up that beam as much as you can.

Someone else mentioned the 'birthing room' thing... I agree. That's something a person looking at an old house would love to know! I'd remove the covering on the fireplace and even stick a candle thing in there. Play up it's charm!

The picture of the foyer is beautiful!! The bench there is perfect, the walls are charming! The rest of the house, at least in the photos, don't capture that charm.

You saying you used one of the small rooms as a sewing room stood out to me. I think that's great! Have you played up that potential? A craft/sewing area is a big bonus! Declutter it as much as possible, leave the sewing machine in there, and maybe a couple of crafty organizers, so it's clear the room can be used for that purpose. I'd LOVE that if I were looking for a home.

The outside needs some evergreens in front of the house. Can you buy potted ones now and just place them there, then plant them when the weather warms up? See if you can get them shipped if you have to (look on-line). There's just no curb appeal... I know it's winter, but even in winter, my house in NY has curb appeal because of our evergreens.

Pretty up the front porch. I know it's winter and it's hard to do, but an outside decoration, trellis, large plant vase... something. But make sure it's age appropriate (meaning appropriate 240 years ago).

I realize pictures often don't show many things, but to me, most of the rooms look "old", but not historically old, which is something you need to play up. Can you buy a few historically interesting pieces of small furniture (a chair, an end table), or even knick knacks (old candles, a kitchen utensil, etc). Take down anything and everything modern (except modern conveniences of course).

As everyone else has said, remove all family photos and knick knacks. Maybe purchase linen-ish spreads for the beds (again, something that looks historically old). Throw them on when showing the house.

I know you probably don't want to add any money to show it, but if you just pick a lump sum and think of it as an investment in selling the house quickly, it may be easier to mentally swallow.

Staging, staging, staging... the rooms (except the foyer), don't look staged at all. I think it's a must, because everyone else does it now.

I'd love to see more pics as you move forward with the house. I think you've gotten some wonderful ideas here. Good luck! :)

This is such a nice, helpful post. Advice without the rude, mean remarks. I have been horrified by the mean spirited, nasty comments. OP, you have shown such class responding to the awful posts. Good luck with the sale. We have visited your town and its lovely.

A few things,

It isn't unusual for older homes to have an amazing lack of closet space. The house I grew up in was older (circa 1900) and my bedroom didn't have a closet, and my brother's had 1 that was added. However, given that all the bedrooms, save 1, in the OPs house have closets, I would market that 1 room as an office, or craft room, or den, something other than a bedroom.

I agree with a PP, turn the play room back into a dining room. Removing the table from the kitchen will open it up. It is also easier to make a dining room look nice.

Pictures should be hung at eye level.

For me, no fence would probably be a deal breaker, but I have a dog and small kids. Fenced yards are the norm here, but if they aren't there I wouldn't worry about it.

Earth tones and taupes seem to be popular colors from the era. Google it. I would definitely lighten up the paint colors, and get rid of the wallpaper.

Play up the things that are left in the house that are of historical significance. The floors, the fireplaces, etc.

Unfortunately, that garage would be a deal breaker for me. Is it structurally sound? I did pass on buying a house that had a detached garage that needed to be torn down.

OP, when I helped my brother set up his house for staging, we went everywhere throughout the house and took pic's of each room from every angle and then enlarged them on a computer screen. anything that "Jumped" out at us, we took care of. It amazed him how much stuff he didn't notice because it was just part of his normal "background" He looked at the pictures with the thought, would I buy this house based this picture alone. It's easy to dismiss a problem area in your home when you think of your home on a whole, but if the only thing someone is going to see is that "one" spot, would it stop them from even looking further?

Don't worry about where the couch, table & Chairs are from a "this is how we live" perspective. You want each room to be as visually appealing as possible, Even if it means "you" are a little uncomfortable for the time being.

Declutter. Then, when you think your done, declutter some more. the less in a smaller room.. the bigger that room looks.

Things that bother me about house hunting
1. smells
2. dusty/not immaculate rooms
3. clutter in pictures advertising the house
4. dark rooms (I'm not referring to the room color, but not enough light, natural or artificial)

#3 really bothers me because all I can think of, is this owner is putting their best foot forward (isn't that what your suppose to do in pictures advertising your home?) and if this is the BEST.. how is it normally? #2 is another one for me as while I don't live in an immaculate house, if I'm looking at your house to possibly buy it, well I don't want to feel "dirty"

I agree about playing up all the historical details you can about your house. The "market" for your house is going to be people that like historical things.. so play that up!

Make sure you take the "official pics" in the right light. I don't know if the picture from the front of the house was taken the same day as the one of your backyard, but your back yard pic just looks so clean and "fresh" whereas the front yard looks blah... it's amazing what "lighting" does to a picture so keep this in mind. Take some shots different times of day & different days & then go through & pick the "best" or even better, have the real estate agent pick the best.

Good Luck w/ the sale & the move OP.

Had to laugh at this! We've lived in many states with dh's transfers, so have bought/sold lots of homes, and have *never* heard even mentioned that not having a fenced yard would be a *deal breaker* :confused3 A lot of people have unfenced back yards (front fences never allowed where we've been, would be unsightly anyhow).

Deal breaker for me, at least. My FIL lives in a small town in Texas where fences are less common, just people with kids and dogs seem to have them. But they are all chain link, so you can see through them.

i know you said you've already done and/or are going to do some of the main suggestions, so forgive me if you've already updated anything I list.

The living room in the picture - the beam running down the wall is a feature I'd love if I were into old houses - make it stand out more. It blends into the wall now. I know you're going to paint the walls in there lighter. Just spruce up that beam as much as you can.

Someone else mentioned the 'birthing room' thing... I agree. That's something a person looking at an old house would love to know! I'd remove the covering on the fireplace and even stick a candle thing in there. Play up it's charm!

The picture of the foyer is beautiful!! The bench there is perfect, the walls are charming! The rest of the house, at least in the photos, don't capture that charm.

You saying you used one of the small rooms as a sewing room stood out to me. I think that's great! Have you played up that potential? A craft/sewing area is a big bonus! Declutter it as much as possible, leave the sewing machine in there, and maybe a couple of crafty organizers, so it's clear the room can be used for that purpose. I'd LOVE that if I were looking for a home.

The outside needs some evergreens in front of the house. Can you buy potted ones now and just place them there, then plant them when the weather warms up? See if you can get them shipped if you have to (look on-line). There's just no curb appeal... I know it's winter, but even in winter, my house in NY has curb appeal because of our evergreens.

Pretty up the front porch. I know it's winter and it's hard to do, but an outside decoration, trellis, large plant vase... something. But make sure it's age appropriate (meaning appropriate 240 years ago).

I realize pictures often don't show many things, but to me, most of the rooms look "old", but not historically old, which is something you need to play up. Can you buy a few historically interesting pieces of small furniture (a chair, an end table), or even knick knacks (old candles, a kitchen utensil, etc). Take down anything and everything modern (except modern conveniences of course).

As everyone else has said, remove all family photos and knick knacks. Maybe purchase linen-ish spreads for the beds (again, something that looks historically old). Throw them on when showing the house.

I know you probably don't want to add any money to show it, but if you just pick a lump sum and think of it as an investment in selling the house quickly, it may be easier to mentally swallow.

Staging, staging, staging... the rooms (except the foyer), don't look staged at all. I think it's a must, because everyone else does it now.

I'd love to see more pics as you move forward with the house. I think you've gotten some wonderful ideas here. Good luck! :)

Wonderful advice offered in such a kind way. How refreshing! :thumbsup2

Not room to go bigger. You can't build over the septic or the leach field. Plus we have a 2 acre minimum for building in the whole town.

You only need about 800-1000 square feet for the leach field. If you have a 2 acre lot, that's 87,120 square fee, minus however big the house is, you should have plenty of space of build a mansion. Or is the law just you can't change the foot print because of the age of the house? You can't even add on?

You only need about 800-1000 square feet for the leach field. If you have a 2 acre lot, that's 87,120 square fee, minus however big the house is, you should have plenty of space of build a mansion. Or is the law just you can't change the foot print because of the age of the house? You can't even add on?

People in New England don't just tear down any house over 50 years old and build mansions.

Also, the Op has one acre, not two.

People in New England don't just tear down any house over 50 years old and build mansions.

Also, the Op has one acre, not two.

Okay, I'm confused since OP said you can't build on less than 2 acres.

Okay, I'm confused since OP said you can't build on less than 2 acres.

Grandfathered, probably. My town (CT) has two-acre zoning but the historic homes (many from 1700s) are grandfathered in. Some are on only a half acre.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter