What would increase the popularity of SSR

Wow what ever happened to bicycles?

Same thing as shelling out $60 for a pair of Heelys. Parents think it's a good idea until someone gets hurt. One rule of parenting: when you see something always envision your child breaking/losing/misusing it before you decide to buy. You can bet your kid has at least a 50-75% chance of doing that.

Now for that tram, when we were there in December I saw a Inter-resort bus a couple of times, but personally I would rather walk the 5 minutes it takes to get to HRS & AP than wait for 15 minutes for a bus or tram or whatever to come around and pick me up. We were in the Carousel and it was very cold outside a couple of those nights but we still went to the warm pool and walked back to our room. It didn't hurt us one little bit. In fact, it helped us walk off some of the calories from all that food we had on the dining plan!

I use a powerchair so I sort of cheat on this one. (I couldn't manage out my room door without my chair.) But since the tram we're talking about wouldn't be wc accessible anyway, I wonder about its use. It's not like I saw a lot of people standing around their rooms or moaning about the distance when I was there in December. The biggest crowds I saw were (a) at AP on check-in morning, (b) at the bus stop mid-morning, and (c) at the pool throughout the day.

Funny thing is hearing the gripes about SSR's distances when BCV and BWV seem to have just as many long hauls to something. The parking lot alone at BWV gives me hives. OKW has some pretty far out places where they recommend you "hop a bus" to get to the pool. And the new AKV looks like it won't even have that amenity but a log, somewhat dull walk to the Lodge. (That is unless you take the Savanna cross cut and dodge zebra and lions.)

Now I wouldn't mind seeing a working carousel ala Mary Poppins style, or a paddock where they keep live horses for viewing. Or even a dedicated tram to DTD. Most especially some night time entertainment on the lake would be good. It's a shame they discontinued the PI fireworks.

Or we can go all out and have an ice cream seller off the back. Then when you hear the ding ding ding, you're kids will race you down the steps for some soft serve.

:rotfl: I wasnt talking about that kind of soft serve!!!:lmao:

I like the trolley idea, but there would be accessability issues.

And as for the golf carts, I say Neigh!:)

1 word: HEELY'S!! You see all the drama these have caused, I cant imagine golf carts. And the adults are no better. There was a lady in an ECV at Community Hall that took out a table with a little girl sitting at it and then the wall!:scared1:

I wonder if they will bring back the PI fireworks once they have finished with the work they are doing over there. It really is a shame that they discontinued them. I remeber the original artwork of SSR that showed the viewing area specifically for that purpose. Did they actually put it in or was it just in the plans?

As for fireworks at PI- that would be great and it may make sense just on Fri. and Sat. nights- swaying people to stay on the higher point weekend nights- for a more balanced occupancy pattern.

I wonder if they will bring back the PI fireworks once they have finished with the work they are doing over there. It really is a shame that they discontinued them. I remeber the original artwork of SSR that showed the viewing area specifically for that purpose. Did they actually put it in or was it just in the plans?

Lori, there is a viewing area in Congress park and there are rocking chairs and a bench. It is still a beautiful spot at night. The PI fireworks were not all that. We were in the Congress Park quiet pool for 3 nights, and still didnt get a good look at them. They were quick!! If you were in your room, by time the clock struck 12, they were over! I doubt they will come back as they were part of the NYE every night theme of PI and they no longer do that.

PI still has the NYE annual fireworks, and then there are some special events throughout the year that take place at DTD that have fireworks also. DTD has many special events that get very little press. In Oct 2006 they had the U.S. Open Water Ski event right there on the lake. They had the lifts and boats and skiers and many that stayed at SSR gathered on their balconies and viewing area to watch the nightly events. The festival of the Masters is another DTD yearly event with nightly concerts. Lots of marketing events go on at DTD also with lots of giveaways and toy trials, video game trials etc. My boys always enjoy that. We've also seen boat shows, and Mardi Gras events.

So I think a nice improvement to SSR would be to give a schedule of DTD events at check in.

.... One rule of parenting: when you see something always envision your child breaking/losing/misusing it before you decide to buy. You can bet your kid has at least a 50-75% chance of doing that.

This is why we bought a trampoline and are thinking of a mini-bike.:cool1:

This is why we bought a trampoline and are thinking of a mini-bike.:cool1:

I bet your family doctor and/or urgent care center just LOVES you. :cool1:

Course, I am the proud aunt of 4 little rugrats who each broke their arm biking, rollerblading, climbing by the age of 6. I think they did it just to sport their own colorful casts: pink, blue, green, purple.

I apologize in advance if this has already been mentioned. As a non-owner at SSR, the biggest issue we have and why we haven't scheduled a stay there, isn't something that can be fixed or improved as far as I know.

While we think the resort is just beautiful, THE #1 reason we have yet to schedule a stay at SSR is because of the point values.

As an example, we plan on visiting WDW every year during the last week of October for F&W.

Here is a point comparison of our two home resorts (BWV & VWL), OKW and SSR for a 5 night stay during that time:

BWV 1 Bedroom BW View = 120
BWV 1 Bedroom Standard = 90
VWL 1 Bedroom = 120
OKW 1 Bedroom = 90
SSR 1 Bedroom = 110

We usually take my 5 year old DGD with us as well. So what it boils down to, is that if we can plan and take advantage of the 11 month window, we can have a Boardwalk View during F&W, or a short boat trip ride away from MK at VWL for 10 more points than SSR.

If we want to save points and book a BWV Standard view, we can do it for 20 fewer points than staying at SSR.

If we plan late and miss the home resort booking window, we can still stay at OKW in a larger room than any other resort, for 20 fewer points than SSR.

In my opinion, SSR is lovely and there are many things to love about the resort. I don't consider anything "wrong" with SSR except what DVC did when assigning the point values and unfortunately, I don't know any remedy to that.

If we want to save points and book a BWV Standard view, we can do it for 20 fewer points than staying at SSR.

If we plan late and miss the home resort booking window, we can still stay at OKW in a larger room than any other resort, for 20 fewer points than SSR.

I can't argue with this! I wouldn't mind the points values a little lower at SSR, and yet I'm not sure even the great and powerful Disney could reduce the number of points needed, even if they wanted to. OKW is just a fantastic bargain, I agree. Along the lines of where Disney would consider the "mistake" to be, I bet that DVC doesn't consider that SSR's points are too high and they can't change it, but rather that OKW points are too low and they can't change it. :sad2:

I can't argue with this! I wouldn't mind the points values a little lower at SSR, and yet I'm not sure even the great and powerful Disney could reduce the number of points needed, even if they wanted to. OKW is just a fantastic bargain, I agree. Along the lines of where Disney would consider the "mistake" to be, I bet that DVC doesn't consider that SSR's points are too high and they can't change it, but rather that OKW points are too low and they can't change it. :sad2:

Agreed. Just look how they handled weekday and weekend point values for Grand Villas after OKW was sold.

OKW will always be a bargain point-wise. It's a factor of DVC building it as the first some 15 years ago when the market was very different. The only thing that compares to is BWV Standard view which is 20% of the resort or 76 rooms and those Value rooms at AKV (of course we don't know yet how many rooms there are yet).

BWV owners like diznyfanatic have a very valid quandry keeping them from SSR bookings. So do OKW and new AKV owners. But if you are competing at 7 mos. or can't stand standard/value rooms, SSR is still cheaper than all but OKW.

Personally, if I were an OKW owner or enthusiast, the only reason I'd book at SSR is to be closer to DTD. Well, and the zero entry pool.

One thing they can do to make my SSR stays more valuable to me is to reinstitute those DTD fireworks. By the time I found out about them, they were gone. :sad1: I'd settle for a lake laser light show.

I don't think anything will increase SSR's popularity among Disney-fanatics on the Dis-boards, but I do think that increasing the unique offerings they already offer to older guests: flower-arranging classes, cooking classes, etc. will increase its popularity among the sector of the population that enjoy vacationing in Florida, but don't want to spend most of their time at a Disney theme park or money on theme park admission.

Actually, a mini-tour bus that made planned "excursion" trips (like the trips offered at the beach resorts) to other Orlando destinations that appeal to and older, child-less, retired vactioner would be a lovely idea and make SSR VERY appealing for both retired and multi-generational travellers.

I don't think anything will increase SSR's popularity among Disney-fanatics on the Dis-boards, but I do think that increasing the unique offerings they already offer to older guests: flower-arranging classes, cooking classes, etc. will increase its popularity among the sector of the population that enjoy vacationing in Florida, but don't want to spend most of their time at a Disney theme park or money on theme park admission.

Actually, a mini-tour bus that made planned "excursion" trips (like the trips offered at the beach resorts) to other Orlando destinations that appeal to and older, child-less, retired vactioner would be a lovely idea and make SSR VERY appealing for both retired and multi-generational travellers.

Excellent point!!

I don't think Disney wants to see our money leave thier property.

I think better landscaping would help. I know Old Key West is 15 years old but it looked lush when it was brand new. Saratoga Springs looks a bit sterile to me. Great location--just needs to look established
John

Honestly, I hope it never increases in popularity. I love the resort as is and I love that I am likely to get a room there whenever I want with rare exception. I couldn't care less how many other people like it, so if fewer people are demanding rooms there that just means more choice for me. The only suggestions I could think of would be to maybe put in soda dispensers at the quiet pools for refillable mugs, and to increase selection at Artist's Palette. Actually, universally Disney needs to increase selection at the counter service places. Not everyone wants gourmet sandwiches, not everyone wants burgers, not everyone wants plain deli sandwiches, and most people don't want to eat the same two or three things for 10 days in a row. :)

I couldn't agree more!

Donna

Am I crazy or did something disappear from this page?

Anyway- regarding lower points. Can they reallocate points in a way that would allow them to do a guaranteed view for higher points and standard view for lower points. The anti-SSR folk seem to think that guaranteed views would be a plus (I am not sure I agree). Since SSR is the 'luxury' DVC with the spa and all, how about a concierge lounge and concierge rooms for premium points, thus allowing lower points all around in the non-concierge rooms. I am guessing that DVCs right to reallocate isn't this flexible- but if it were allowed, these things would be cool.

I think Character Dinning would definatly be a plus...
Points should be lowered for stays....Would be major improvement....
Boat rentals are a must.....
Fireworks from DTD would be nice....
Horses would tie in some theme.....
Give itTime for the landscape to take affect..

Now my 19 year old would not change a thing(she don't care how many points it is)....she loves the pool and the ability to walk to DTD....matter of fact I gave her the option to pick a resort for spring break for her and friends and sure enough it was SSR....She also thinks the rooms are more classy....

I don't think anything will increase SSR's popularity among Disney-fanatics on the Dis-boards,

I would agree with this, if the word "some" was in front of Disney-fanatics on this board. I think the SSR Lover's Thread proves that SSR has a very large appeal to many on this forum, just not with everyone and not with some very vocal participants.

I am not old and I like SSR alot. When you have been going to the parks since you were 2 years old, they do not hold the appeal they do for some.

We really enjoy Downtown Disney and playing golf and we are only a bus ride away from any park. SSR is very centrally located to all parks and while bus transportation is the only offering, it is efficient and gets you there. No resort is close to all parks, therefore being close to a park to me is a moot point, unless you are guest that only visits a particular park. If that was the case then BCV, BWV or VWL would appeal to that member.

The landscaping will take years to develop and OKW did not look lush when it was new. However comparing the landscaping at SSR to OKW is like comparing the landscaping at the Polynesian to the Grand Floridian, two very different styles. One is tropical and one is manicured.

SSR has a wonderful program for kid's at the Community Hall and very kid friendly pool, so the appeal is there for families.

I don't think Disney wants to see our money leave thier property.

I agree. I don't think there's any way that they would ever offer transportation to other theme parks, but I can see them offering a couple of excursions each week to attractions that cater to older guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter