What will we need on the auto train?

dts718

Mouseketeer
I put a similar question on the transportation board, but I figured it may get more attention here! (at least I'm hoping):) Of course I know we should bring all the tickets and vouchers and that kind of stuff, but what else will we need? I'm also going to bring a backpack of games and some snacks for my little ones. I guess at least one change of clothes at least for the kids would be essential too, we'll be traveling coach so we won't have the private room/bathroom. changing diapers ought to be a real treat!
Any advice and info is greatly appreciated!!!!!

I've done this a few times but have always had a sleeping compartment.
I would say lots of lap games, game boy if you have one, leap pad, computer, maybe some head phones. Lysol wipes for the bathrooms, they can get quite busy even in first class. They have blankets but can you believe they don't wash them after every trip??? I bring my own blankets and pillows now!! I asked and couldn't believe it, especially in the sleeping compartments!!
Ask about upgrades when you get on, sometimes they will even post a special for the bedrooms if there are enough available. The only time I booked coach I was offered a sleeping compartment for on;y $100.00, well worth it for me! You're not confined to your seat, it's nice to walk around, go to the scenic car & play games, order a drink or snack.
Have fun!!:sunny:

My family and I have taken the Autotrain twice already and are taking it twice more this year. All the times we have or will be traveling was in coach. I don't know how old you children are but I have a wide range of ages in my family. I have a 16DD,14DD,11DD,AND 6 year old DD twins. Definetly take coloring books or you can print some Disney coloring pages from a web site, Game Boys, CD Players, cards. For my little ones I bought magnetic dolls, I'm not sure if you'll know what I'm taking about but in AC Moore's(Craft Store) they have fuzzy pictures that come with markers that they can color. For dinner to drink you are offered wine for adults and juice for kids. Well my kids didn't like the juice so I bought cans of soda with me. Also bring snacks. I too bought our own small blankets and travel pillows. They do show a movie during the trip. When you check in you have to pick the time you want to eat. I picked the early seating so we had the movie after to watch and waste some time. The first time we went we got the seats by the door the good thing about those seats were that you had a lot of leg room, which would be good for diaper changes. But the bad thing was that you heard the door open and close all night. I don't know if any of this helped, but enjoy your trip! If you have any other questions just ask me!!!

debs5angels
princess: :wizard: princess: princess: princess: princess: princess:

Thanks for the great info guys. I think we will plan to be there early and hope for good seats. I would definetly do the sleeping quarters for an extra $100, but I doubt we'll get that lucky! I'm going to go to walmart and try to get a bunch of good travel games for the kids this weekend. (they are 3 1/2 and 22 months) . My 22 month old is a real handful, so I'm hoping she sleeps good. I guess we'll just hope for the best on this trip, I am a little nervous about it but the alternative of driving the whole way and having both kids straped down in car seats for 30 hours is even less appealing!:) :D :mad: :earsgirl: (my son (3 1/2 )asked me to add all the faces::MickeyMo )

Originally posted by Soupermom
What IS an autotrain??????????????:confused:

It's an Amtrack train that goes from VA to Sanford, FL with your car on it. It goes overnight. You can eat & slepp on it. Not very economical though.

Actually, whether or not it's economical I guess depends on how you would go any other way. For us, flying isn't optional and when we added the price of gas all the way, food and one stop at a hotel round trip, taking the auto train (coach) was actually only about $100 more-plus think of all the mileage you save on your vehicle which eventually equals out to money!

Don't forget things like soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes even possibly washcloth and small towel. Last time I was on I saw 2 different people that didn't have it and wanted to goto their cars and get it, which by the way is not possible. Once you leave the car, that's it until you get off in FLA.

We took the auto train a few years ago when my DD was 2 1/2 - and there were so many other kids she hardly played with anything we brought along.

The biggest hit was putting a blanket over the backs of two rows of seats. She sat in that "fort" for hours and played with other kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter