• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What were the rules in your home growing up?

My dad was an officer in the marine corps, we had LOTS...

I had a curfew until I got married. I had to be in the house by 11 PM, but people could come over and stay until 2:00 AM as long as we did not wake up my parents.

As a girl, my rules were different than my older brothers rules. Our younger brother was an "oops" baby and he had no rules. LOL

My dad will be 78 this year and still struggles to understand I am capable of driving after dark and I can do most things all on my own. If I unable, I will delegate! It comes from a place of love and concern, so I try to give him some grace while pushing back on his antiquated ideas. He always has my 6, so it is all good.

My mother liked a clean house, we were constantly cleaning and cooking. Home cooked meals on the table every night. Cooked breakfast every Saturday and Sunday, with a big meal after church on Sunday afternoons. She was a stay at home mom until I was 16. She went to work fulltime that summer and I was in charge of the household and my younger brother. We muddled through and he and I are stronger for it.

One of my nicknames is "Bossy Boss Lady". I have earned it and claim it proudly! LOL

No phone after 9 pm. This is something I and my family carried forward. If the phone rang after 9 I would just look at DH and say "it's your family." Now with cell phones, adult kids and aging parents I at least look at caller ID to see if an emergency, otherwise leave a message or text me.

I don’t recall any specific rules. Basically we had to listen to our mother and when we were playing in the neighborhood and she hollered for you to come home you better get a move on. No fighting with my sister.

Children should be seen and not heard.
Better drowned than duffers, if not duffers won’t drown.

Not really rules except maybe don't kill your sibling(s). We had to say sir and maim (southern) but I'm not sure that was a rule so much as an understood.

The one rule I remember was the TV Rule. My dad liked the 6 o'clock news, and we ate at 6 p.m. Our TV was in the living room, so he would turn it up and listen to it while we were in the kitchen having dinner. The rule was that we kids were not allowed to comment on anything taking place on the TV or we had to leave the table whether we'd finished our dinner or not. It was a supremely stupid rule then, and it still is when I remember back on it.

The one rule I remember was the TV Rule. My dad liked the 6 o'clock news, and we ate at 6 p.m. Our TV was in the living room, so he would turn it up and listen to it while we were in the kitchen having dinner. The rule was that we kids were not allowed to comment on anything taking place on the TV or we had to leave the table whether we'd finished our dinner or not. It was a supremely stupid rule then, and it still is when I remember back on it.
I suppose because there was no pause or replay button.

Not much of a rule, more of an expectation. All members of the family will respect each other.

Oh yes one rule--nobody except my parents could touch the thermostat. We never even knew how it worked.

While we didn’t have any stone tablets with a list of rules around, we all did somehow know:

You weren’t going to be allowed to stay out (and when younger stay up) as long as you wanted

You should pick up after yourself: put away toys you played with, clothes you wore, or food you took out and dishes you used

You should try to do your best at school

You should avoid making a lot of noise during the days when your father was sleeping due to shift work

Don’t expect to get everything you ask for or want

Everybody has to help out, whether it be cutting the grass, raking leaves, washing and drying dishes, etc

No eating in the car

If a phone call was a toll call, keep it short!

We had to read, memorize, and date, print, and sign the last page by 3 years old.... Sheesh, where do I start?

13akpt.jpg

no rules but definite expectations.
I think this was how we raised our kids. I can't really think of any specific "rules", but we definitely had expectations of behavior and how we treat each other. Mostly just common curtesy/thinking of how your behavior affects others and being responsible for your own stuff/helping with upkeep of shared household items.

My parents were very strict, so we were hardly ever allowed to do anything. Our rooms had to be spotless at all times, no shoes EVER in the house, no sleeping over at friends, no Bs on your report card, must attend church (and for quite a few years that meant DAILY mass), very detailed rules with friends of the opposite sex, etc.

My MIL had only two rules, so my husband had a very different upbringing-- Don't get arrested and don't get anyone pregnant.

As a girl, my rules were different than my older brothers rules.
This always bothers me. I can't think of any situations in raising my kids where I felt a reason or need to have different rules or expectations for my daughters than my son.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter