What was your worst DCL rookie mistake?

Missing the boat! Beyond stupid rookie mistake. We flew out of Buffalo this past March Break. We were on the first flight out to Orlando, leaving at 8:30am. Of course, our flight was the same day that the cruise ship was leaving. Due to a mechanical issue, the flight did not leave until after 3:00pm. Moreover, since it was March Break, every other flight going to Orlando was full. After the initial devastation, the airline got us to Tortolla (at no additional cost) where we met the boat after missing 2 days at sea. In the end everything worked out. We even went on our second cruise this past November. Although we flew in a day early this last time, none of us were settled until we were actually on the ship. Lol.

Missing the boat! [...]

Winner!

Our own was leaving our wonderful Family Beach cabana on Castaway Cay shortly after noon when it started raining heavily. I am till kicking myself for not considering that 3000+ other guests, who didn't have a cabana to keep them dry, would be doing the same at exactly the same time. We were all absolutely drenched when we finally made it to the ship. My Dad caught a bad flu that he passed on to me so the consequences of that decision stuck for weeks.

Missing the boat! Beyond stupid rookie mistake. We flew out of Buffalo this past March Break. We were on the first flight out to Orlando, leaving at 8:30am. Of course, our flight was the same day that the cruise ship was leaving. Due to a mechanical issue, the flight did not leave until after 3:00pm. Moreover, since it was March Break, every other flight going to Orlando was full. After the initial devastation, the airline got us to Tortolla (at no additional cost) where we met the boat after missing 2 days at sea. In the end everything worked out. We even went on our second cruise this past November. Although we flew in a day early this last time, none of us were settled until we were actually on the ship. Lol.

And this is proof that even if weather is NOT a possible issue (certainly is in Buffalo in March), there are other factors to keep in mind that affect flights, even the first flight out - mechanical issues, crew issues (the assigned crew not getting in in time for their mandatory rest and there not being a replacement team, a crew member calling out sick and having to wait for the replacement, etc.), the equipment not being there if it was coming in from somewhere else, delays for computer or weather reasons in the originating cities, etc. Flights going off on time is not as simple as "there's no weather here", sadly.

Our rookie mistake was booking a mainland shore excursion in Cozumel. The ferry shuttle to the mainland WILL get you ill if you are not an experienced rough ocean sailor.

I keep hearing this and it's making me nervous, possibly to the point of canceling but we're so excited for the Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins tour! Do you think the ferry will still get us sea sick if we've been taking Meclizine daily for the cruise duration?

I keep hearing this and it's making me nervous, possibly to the point of canceling but we're so excited for the Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins tour! Do you think the ferry will still get us sea sick if we've been taking Meclizine daily for the cruise duration?
I don't know, but be prepared for long bus rides. However, the ruins are fantastic!

I would have to say shoes. My rookie mistake I have made twice have been shoes. On my first cruise I wore heels to formal night. As soon as we took pictures with Mickey and Goofy, my heel broke. After trying to play it off for about 20 minutes. I threw them away and went the rest of the night barefoot. On my third cruise, which was our first with our son, was also like becoming newbies again. Two completely different experiences when you go as a couple and then with kids. DH decided to grab a cup of coffee before a show so DS and I waited on deck 3 by the elevators. Again it was a formal night so I decided to wear heels. DS (4 at the time) decided he no longer wanted to wait and started to race up the stairs. I ended up chasing him up 8 flights of stairs. Lesson learned I now take a pair of nice comfortable sandals that looks nice with everything including my dresses. I will wear heels for pics only and then it's back to my comfy sandals.

I would have to say shoes. My rookie mistake I have made twice have been shoes. On my first cruise I wore heels to formal night. As soon as we took pictures with Mickey and Goofy, my heel broke. After trying to play it off for about 20 minutes. I threw them away and went the rest of the night barefoot. On my third cruise, which was our first with our son, was also like becoming newbies again. Two completely different experiences when you go as a couple and then with kids. DH decided to grab a cup of coffee before a show so DS and I waited on deck 3 by the elevators. Again it was a formal night so I decided to wear heels. DS (4 at the time) decided he no longer wanted to wait and started to race up the stairs. I ended up chasing him up 8 flights of stairs. Lesson learned I now take a pair of nice comfortable sandals that looks nice with everything including my dresses. I will wear heels for pics only and then it's back to my comfy sandals.
It sounded like you didn't learn from your rookie mistake and made it again a few years later. Why not just comfortable shoes to begin with?

On my first cruise, I refused drinks in the dining rooms because I thought they cost extra everywhere except for the machines in Cabanas.

It sounded like you didn't learn from your rookie mistake and made it again a few years later. Why not just comfortable shoes to begin with?
Lol. Well that is why I say it is very different from going with just me and my husband vs having a kid with us. The shoes would have been comfortable for casually walking around the ship, taking pictures, going to dinner and a few shows. Not a full on sprint up 8 flights of stairs.

Ive done this ferry boat many times and have major seasickness with meds. As long as you're on meclizine you should be fine. It's about 30 minutes-ish. You're going to LOVE the Mayan ruins...unless you want to snorkel this is your second best option in Cozumel. I live in Dallas and my hubby is a scuba diver so we've done Cozumel a ton of times. Anyhow, you'll be okay on meds. It's a short ride. Don't sit in fumes, have food in tummy (not full), take some ice water so you don't get hot, get on ferry right before it's leaving (don't sit and wait for it to leave on the waves (this is more importnat on Playa side- Cozumel side is calmer) and try to look straight if possible (don't turn and talk to people, don't get crap out of your bags and come back up, etc).

Long story short...don't cancel!

1. Not booking a placeholder cruise. I thought you always had to pick a cruise & put the regular full deposit down, & the future bookings desk didn't enlighten me otherwise. I didn't have the spare cash for a whole deposit on top of what was already a very last-minute vacation, so...bummer. Especially since we ended up cruising a 7-day the very next year.

2. Trying to shoehorn too many activities into one day. At a certain point, less magic is more magic.

3. Thinking that the non-Castaway Caribbean islands wouldn't so obviously look & feel like the run-down & impoverished 3rd world countries that they are. This led to some deep discussions with my son, prompted by questions on his part, about history, society & economics, but I would rather have not had to have those conversations during our vacaton.

3. Thinking that the non-Castaway Caribbean islands wouldn't so obviously look & feel like the run-down & impoverished 3rd world countries that they are. This led to some deep discussions with my son, prompted by questions on his part, about history, society & economics, but I would rather have not had to have those conversations during our vacaton.

Honestly, I think this was a *fantastic* opportunity. He may appreciate how blessed he is now. I don't take vacations to hide from the world. I take them to see the world. If that's the world you saw and you were able to explain it to him in a way that he respected and learned, then it's a *great* vacation. I want badly to congratulate you on your ability to do this for your son. It made him more worldly and knowledgeable, and that's what a parent should do.

Honestly, I think this was a *fantastic* opportunity. He may appreciate how blessed he is now. I don't take vacations to hide from the world. I take them to see the world. If that's the world you saw and you were able to explain it to him in a way that he respected and learned, then it's a *great* vacation.
We had a great vacation, but likely won't venture beyond Castaway on a Caribbean cruise in the near future- just too depressing. My grandfather actually grew up on St. Croix, laboring on a Dutch-owned plantation just as our enslaved ancestors did, before he was able to move to the U.S. mainland. One of my reasons for choosing the USVI itinerary was to catch a glimpse of his homeland, and seeing the current conditions the Virgin Islands are in gave me even more appreciation for the fact that he managed to come to the mainland and provide my father with a college education, leading to his descendants having more opportunities in life. I knew and respected that before the trip, however. Yes, the conversation with my son about this was deep as I said, but not one I wanted to have while on vacation.

Neither my son nor I wish to be exposed to suffering or unpleasantness while on vacation. We've experienced enough in our own lives (child abuse, single parent, my son's autism, prior years of barely being able to make ends meet due to medical & therapy bills & lack of child support so that not even the simplest vacations were possible for us despite my working full time, etc.) Could go on but suffice it to say that our own lives have served up ample authenticity, and we enjoy vacations as a means to escape our busy working lives and enjoy fun time together, not to learn even more lessons about how harsh life can be.

Last edited:
So far....this is my favorite story ever! LOL And it is because my DH would have been exactly the same way if he hadn't been well aware that pretty much ALL food was included, sans Palo/Remy or pre-packaged snacks. He would have looked on enviously at the plates of food walking by, but held tight to his wallet and waited for dinner. Gotta love our penny pinching DHs! I have re-read your story a couple of times, and each time I still chuckle out loud because I picture myself as you and my DH as your DH and it's just a picture I can see SOOOOOO clearly. :rotfl2::rotfl:

This is so funny. I am the same way. I think the exact same way lol.

Glad you had passports to be allowed to fly in. Whew.

Thinking that the non-Castaway Caribbean islands wouldn't so obviously look & feel like the run-down & impoverished 3rd world countries that they are. This led to some deep discussions with my son, prompted by questions on his part, about history, society & economics, but I would rather have not had to have those conversations during our vacaton.

Well, hmm. Nassau stunned me the first time, but the next time I was there my idea of luxury got reset. We've since been to several other Caribbean islands and for one I've never seen someone who looked unhappy. The houses look rundown by weather, but that's even the fancy ones we saw from a boat on antigua. Greycliff in Nassau is a 4 or 5 star place but the weather gives it a beating and the bathrooms are humid.

I'm just not sure that what we see = poverty and "3rd world country" and unhappy. I wonder if the fact that we see that is because we still have our "better off than you", "life of privilege" glasses on and maybe we aren't seeing exactly what's in front of us. (And btw I grew up poor on food stamps, parents divorced when I was 4 when no one else was divorcing, dad abused my mom, and he messed up my head until I was around 40 and said "enough"...it's not like I grew up without issues)

We took a tour in Antigua. Because Antigua apparently has a strong non-cruise tourist population these tours go often. Our boat had 20 people on it. The tour was $115 each. There's a discount if you pay the remainder in cash that day so lets call it $100 per person. Times 20 that day. They provided sodas, some rum after the days activities were over (not all day), and a pasta and obviously homemade BBQ chicken lunch. There were 3 guys working. 2 grand for that day's tour (and the small company had another, more expensive, tour out that day that passed us) isn't nothing. If they do that let's say 3 days a week (and note that this was just two weeks ago, not even high season), they aren't doing so badly. Not saying that those tour guides are the norm but with a place that runs on tourism there are more people like that out there.

We had two ports that we left later than expected (a large group had been impacted by weather, boarded day 2 in sint Maarten, and we had to wait for their bags to get to the ship at another port) so we saw all the very nice cars leaving the port area after all aboard (we were the only big ship in most ports that sailing). Very nice cars.

I found that watching house hunters international, where people are looking at higher end homes in cheaper countries, and those higher cost homes still look kind of icky to our western eyes, is useful to stop judging how people live on the islands. (But I can't get over my utter dislike of tile floors in the bedroom. Even if it's very useful and smart in an area where you might deal with storm floods every year and carpet would just be stupid, I just hate how it looks darnit!)

Neither my son nor I wish to be exposed to suffering or unpleasantness while on vacation.

Huh.

Disney employees are paid very little and live in higher rent cities. FYI. Not all that easy to make a living wage from Disney. That makes me sadder than the tour guys in Antigua do fwiw.

You can also call from your stateroom phone and they will contact your stateroom host to tell him/her to deliver what you need.

My rookie mistake was wanting to do both a mixology class and a wine tasting class and still booking both when I found out they would be back to back. I don't remember much of that afternoon.

How much are the mixology and wine tastings?

How much are the mixology and wine tastings?

The prices have changed over time. I believe the mixology classes and wine tastings are currently $20 per person. Some tastings, like the chocolate and liquor class, are more. I think the chocolate and liquor is currently $30.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter