What was your most memorable family vacation when you were a kid?

Kittyblue

7322, 32502, <3
My family never really did family vacations except to visit my grandparents in Washington. I still loved it though, spending time on the farm with the animals, picking blackberries, sledding down the hill in winter. One winter I made a snowman a little too close to the garage. My grandpa ran into it when he backed the car out. Wow was he mad!!! He thought he ran me over LOL

A 1972 trip to Hollywood with a few day stop in Vegas . My parents let me take my best friend Ricky, we took a station wagon from Ohio to California, it was such a great vacation, when I think f it today, its almost like Im watching a video tape of it happening, a side not 25 years later my buddy Ricky moved to Vegas for abut a year, then he died of an overdose

We usually went to visit my grandparents in Idaho. VERY small town. Not much to do........
We did go to Disneyland a couple of times.
Money wasn't pelntiful

Our trips to Spain to visit family. I went 4 times between the ages of 6 to 16 . We would go for at least a month and my family would spend a week of that at a beach town.

All my childhood vacation involved visiting family and friends.

We never took vacations except to my grandparents' house in Wildwood because we really couldn't afford it. But one year my other set of grandparents (my Dad's parents) gifted us with a vacation in the Pocono Mountains. I remember it very well, even though I was only 8. We drove up and stayed at a Holiday Inn that had a huge indoor pool shaped like a snowman, and there was a gameroom where we played air hockey for hours. It was the first time I ever stayed at a hotel, and we went hiking in the woods and sat at the big fireplace in the Copper Penny Lounge and roasted marshmallows. It was so much fun.

We didn't go on many vacations growing up. I can remember two. A long weekend in San Diego (from Orange County) and a 2 week trip in our camper van up the coast from Orange County to Eureka. It was that trip that made my parents decide to move to Northern California.

A 1972 trip to Hollywood with a few day stop in Vegas .
Is this why you like Vegas so much @low-key?

Most of my childhood vacations sort of run together in my mind because they were mostly to one of two destinations: the northern Michigan town where my grandparents' families are from or Virginia Beach, where my mom's only sister lives. So it probably isn't surprising that the most memorable was an exception to that pattern, a trip to Boston and Cape Cod for a family wedding that became an excuse for a vacation. My cousins, who lived in the area, tagged along when we camped on the Cape and we all did some ranger activities at the national park (I think?), which was a lot of fun.

We didn't go on many vacations growing up. I can remember two. A long weekend in San Diego (from Orange County) and a 2 week trip in our camper van up the coast from Orange County to Eureka. It was that trip that made my parents decide to move to Northern California.

Is this why you like Vegas so much @low-key?

I loved it back then, even though I wa sonly 11-12, but didnt think to much about it, but ym mom loved it, and after my dad died, I was so worried about my mom, she depended on him for everything, so I wanted to make sure she had things to look forward to, so we went out once n a while, and I ended up loving it also

We had a camper (the kind that fit over the bed of a pickup truck) and we took a lot of trips in that.

My two brothers and I would ride in the camper, lying in a row, side by side on our stomachs across the bed that was above the truck cab, looking out the window. What a way to see the world!

There was no way to talk to Mom and Dad in the truck cab, but there was a window in the camper right up against the back truck window. We would bang on the window to get their attention and then hold up a note if we needed them for something; usually one of us needed a bathroom or my brothers were fighting, haha.

I remember one trip my mother forgot to bolt the refrigerator door shut and it flew open and a container of spaghetti sauce showered our camper. I banged on the window and when my mom turned around and looked through the windows and saw a red substance covering everything, she lost her cool. My dad pulled over right there by the side of the highway. I think they thought my brothers had finally taken one of their fights too far.

The 2 most memorable were when I was in my early -teens.
First was when we went to Scotland for 3 weeks with 5 days in London to celebrate my Maternal Grandparents 50th Anniversary. They came to the US after their Honeymoon and had only been back 2 times ( both after my Parents married) before. My Mom had never been ,so she got to meet Uncles, Aunts & Cousins who never came over to the US ( either to live or visit). I am into history so it was pretty interesting even without the family stuff. Although the lack of ice in my Soda was weird.
The other was two years later when we drove from NJ to Yuma, Arizona to visit my Paternal Grandparents. Saw the Grand Canyon, Disneyland, OK Corral along with other sites. On one of our day trips we drove by Hotel Del Coronado but didn't go in. When decades later DH and I went on our first trip to San Diego, my Parents slipped me some $ to go there to have lunch ( we did & stayed there on following trips😉)

Going to DisneyWorld, of course! My grandparents lived in Miami and we'd drive there every year. I saw Orlando go from a orange farm village on the 27 to a booming metropolis. Once DisneyWorld opened, we'd take a couple of days and drive down with my cousins.

Oh, and going to Matheson Hammock beach. We loved it because it was in a protected cove and you weren't worried about jellyfish your sharks or swimming too far out.

Going to that new Disney World park that had just opened about a year before way down South in Florida. So I guess it was in late 1972, or early 1973. I was too young to remember most of it, but I still have some pretty good memories of parts of that trip.

It had to be a trip to Alabama to visit family friends when I was 17. We went to the beach one day and got absolutely blistered. My poor brother was in really bad shape and couldn't stand even having the breeze blow on him.

We'd planned on stopping at Opryland on the way home and our parents decided we were going to do it, anyway. My parents, sister and I walked in front, behind and on each side of my poor brother so no one would accidentally bump into him. It was weird--but memorable.

Disneyworld! Went twice during my childhood. (Third trip was a senior class trip, and that was not fun.)

Each visit to WDW wouldn't be complete without a stop at South of the Border in South Carolina. That was different! We also went to Maine many times, but there's no Disney in Maine, just trees and extended family.

Last edited:
Family vacations for me, too, to visit my mother's side of the family just outside of Philadelphia. We usually went in August, but may have gone twice at Christmas (not both in the same year). I enjoyed our mini vacation to Ocean City, NJ for about 4 days during the 2 week vacation. I loved everything about visiting Nana and Pop-Pop. They saved prizes out of cereal boxes for us and collected a set of coins for us from the year we were born. Their house was over 100 years old (probably 150 now), but had a newer section that was made into an apartment for my Great Grandmother to live in. I never knew her, but we kids would always negotiate who got to stay in the apartment. My parents always had the bedroom on the upper level of the apartment, but the tiny living room also had a bed and it was very private and I felt grown up staying there. The apartment still used a skeleton key to get in and out from the porch. If you were in the upstairs bedroom of the main house, you could go through the closet and out the other side into the other upstairs apartment bedroom, like The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe!

We did a lot of the same things each year, but they were all special because we were visiting Nana and Pop-Pop and they were very special.

My grandma started my love of Disney taking my sister and I on Disneyland and Walt Disney World trips while we were growing up. So many great memories. We are so lucky that at almost 90 she is in good health and was able to visit Disneyland with the whole family for my wedding a couple of years back. ❤️

Even though we had money, my parents never took big vacations. Every year we went to South lake Tahoe. In high school it was great as I took my best friend. my parents would give us money and we'd spend the day swimming, pizza/ice cream, flirting with the parking guys while they gambled. Then they'd get us to go get dinner. A few days the parents would take us to Virginia City or Ponderosa. My 16th birthday was spent on the boat from Zepher Cove around Emerald bay. The bartender gave me a bunch of cherries in my coke, as a high school girl I thought that was so cool LOL One year my brother was stationed at 29 Palms so we drove to Disneyland then over for the night with my brother in the desert. The guy next door couldn't find his boa constrictor so no sleep for me that night!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter