What was your first car?

A 1991 VW Jetta with the bone-jarring 1.6L diesel engine. It had 54 HP when it was new but when I bought it with 212,000 miles it did 0 to 60 in about a week. On the bright side it did nearly 50 miles to the gallon and diesel fuel was just over a $1/gal so it went everywhere. And because it was so hard to start in the winter, I left it running on some of the cold Maine nights.

These days, I drive a 2007 Ford Mustang that goes a little bit faster, drinks a lot more petrol but still is as loud as my old V-dub. :-) Love it!

Mine was a 1971 Cutlass Supreme Convertible.:lovestruc I got it in '82. In fact, I still have it! I can't bear to part with it, although it needs a lot of TLC now. It still looks pretty good (from far away).

I've been reading this thread to DH and we have just been laughing from start to finish, so we have a couple to add:

DH's first car was a hand-me down from his dad, a 1976 Pontiac LeMans wagon that was named 'The Passion Wagon". His dad had taken off the front dash to fix the radio and it never got reinstalled. The roof lining used to hang over DH's head so he looked like a disgruntled bloodhound and to boot, the windows would not roll down. :lmao:

DH's best friend's first car was a Buick Skylark also from dear old dad. Its radio had a cassette stuck in it so every day for four years going to University he listened to The Who "Who's Next", to this day every word is burned in his memory. In the end, it broke down on the entrance ramp to the highway and he just walked away, called his dad when he got to school and said, "it's done". Nothing else needed to be said because his dad knew it was living on borrowed time by that point. :laughing:

My first car has a funny story to it... It was a brand new Mazda MX6 that my father bought for his girlfriend :scared1: while married to my mom... I happened to see him at the car dealership driving it out and followed him home and "borrowed it" I did not speak to him or see him for 3 years later. :lmao: So I had a nice new ride for 3 years... He would have to fess up he bought it for his girlfriend so I got to keep it. :rolleyes1

My next car was my all time favorite a red Toyota Celica it was an awesome car!!

WTG now that is the way to do things!:rotfl:

Oh car threads make me all teary eyed. I really miss some of my cars.

First car was a gift from parents, I asked for an Opel GT, I got a very used Opel Kadett. For those of you who know what each of these look like, you are laughing your tushes off, the rest of you need to google them.

My true love dream car came to me in 1975. :lovestruc It was a 1970 Chevelle 454 ss. Custom pearl paint. Decked, with a bore 60over. I could list all the goodies, but let's just say every extra penny went into this car. I loved it. I dreamed of it and I had a heck of a lot of fun in it. I went through starters, batteries and rear tires like popcorn in the movies, but I was one cool girl :hippie: at the time. You would never believe what happened to the car. It still hurts and I will miss it forever.

Next car was a 1977 Datsun 280z 2+2. It was no Chevelle, but I got a custom black pearl paint job, deep black window tint and true wire spoke mags. It looked nice. I also made a couple of minor changes to make it more fun for neighborhood drives. I finally replaced it with a 1985 300zx and still kept the 280, hoping that one day I could do a small block conversion. It never happened and my neighbor kept turning me in since it was not running at the time. I sold it to a z car lover for 600.00. It really made me sad but the city was giving me fits. The guy I sold it to was so happy as he collected z cars and I was glad to see that it went to a good home.

I still have the stock 300zx sitting in a storage building, but I really miss my Chevelle and my 280z. (I can still close my eyes and smell the Chevelle.)

My dad had a 1972 Chevelle, green with a white top, that I fully intended to be my first car, but after the wheel fell off one day, and the amount of duct tape on the seats and rust reached critical mass, it was retired about two years too early...

Sadly, he traded in a '68 Camaro - gold - for the Chevelle.

I actually have a very slightly deformed ring finger from getting caught in the Chevelle door...

My fingers were constantly coming into contact with my aunt's Charger doors, but I loved that car! It was bright yellow with black interior.

My first car has a funny story to it... It was a brand new Mazda MX6 that my father bought for his girlfriend :scared1: while married to my mom... I happened to see him at the car dealership driving it out and followed him home and "borrowed it" I did not speak to him or see him for 3 years later. :lmao: So I had a nice new ride for 3 years... He would have to fess up he bought it for his girlfriend so I got to keep it. :rolleyes1

My next car was my all time favorite a red Toyota Celica it was an awesome car!!

Oh, my! Were you ever clever! How old were you?

First cars I drove were family cars. Candy apple red Ford County Squire wagon. Red Ford Pinto wagon.

First I bought on my own, 1981 yellow Datsun 210. Followed up every 8-9 years with red Nissan Sentra, blue Nissan Sentra, green Toyota Corolla.
Working my way through the rainbow. I have my eye on the coppery orange color for next car.

I have my eye on the coppery orange color for next car.

Looks like we have the same color in mind. I am currently looking to replace my 2000 Mazda pickup with a coppery/orange Ford Escape. Having a heck of a time finding one though. :guilty:

77'Ford Pinto:flower3:! My sis nick named it the "Calypso" because of the "I Love Whales" bumper sticker, "Gone to Maui" sticker on the back window and the Lei I had hanging over my rearview mirror.

Hey...I was 18, it was the start of the eighties and everyone labled everything those days.:car:

Shannon

I notice a large number of former Ford Pinto owners out there. I thought I was one of an elite club having driven this fine piece of automotive engineering as my first vehicle.

in 1972 I bought my first car, a 1965 ford (I think a fairlane? it was a big boxy tank). It didn't have power steering or power brakes, but it was mine. :lmao: At the same time my SO was driving a Shelby. I forget what year, but when it's a Shelby, and you are young, I don't think you care about the year. He then traded that in for a gold GTO. My favorite car ever. After that we got married and he only got boring cars. Same for me. :goodvibes
Penny

Volare Station wagon with fake panel. I had so much fun in that car... She was a great car.

a 12 year old 1970 ford galaxie 500 4 door, green. Dad bought it for me for $500, kept it about a year and it ran great, but boy was it big and use a lot of gas!

My dad was 6'3" and loved his Ford Pinto. Mom said he had a Moris Minor when they met. We always teased him that he liked clown cars. :rotfl:

My first car was a '76 orange Mercury Comet my sister bought for me. I had parked in front of my neighbors house one night and somehow the next morning the back window was broken, never fixed the window, it had a piece of thick plastic in it until I got rid of it.

I have you all beat, my first car was a lemon yellow 1985 Yugo, yes a brand spanking new 903cc engine 4-speed Yugo. I bought it in England while stationed their. I got that baby up to 85 once while going down hill, I thought it was going to shake apart. The spare tire was kept under the hood above the engine. :scared1:
4783202167_be575201cd_m.jpg

My DP's first car was a yellow new 1985 Yugo, the guys she worked with would actually pick it up and move it while she was sitting in it. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter