What was your favorite experience from a DCL ship?

Seeing my wife on our "Wedding Day"

Castaway Cay September 2007

STA_7648.jpg
[/IMG]

My grandfather's family is from Hungry, but when we went on our first cruise. he hadn't spoken Hungarian since my grandmother died about 10 years earlier. Well, imagine our surprise when we got on the ship and our head server, Gabor, spoke fluent Hungarian! They started to talk to each other, and sing, and you cannot imagine how happy my grandfather was. But, it gets better--on our second cruise, by chance, Gabor was our server again! And now, grandpa sings in Hungarian all of the time. We can't understand him, of course, but it's very fun to hear.

Best of all, Gabor is coming to visit in a few months! We can't wait to see our Disney friend again.

My favorite moment was while we were walking down the aisle towards our rooms and an announcement came on with the Captain announcing that we were going to return to Castaway Cay the next day. It had rained until around 1 and we got very little time on the island. We were estatic.

What wonderful experiences everyone has had! In July 2006, DH and I took our 1st cruise. We had such a fabulous time that we decided to go the following summer to celebrate DS's H.S. graduation and an early college graduation trip for DD. It started with the 4 of us, then friends of ours asked if they minded if their family joined us. Soon afterwards, 3 more of DS's and DD's friends plus DD's boyfriend were going. There were 12 of us total. We had such a magically wonderful time. One of the highlights was our 1st dinner all together at AP. They graciously seated all 12 of us together and I love the picture we have of all of us with our happy smiles! :lovestruc

When my DS was just 9 & we were on our first Disney Cruise aboard the Magic, we went to see a movie together later in the evening & were actually the only ones there in the Buena Vista theater. It was so cool & was a nice quiet "alone time" for the two of us.

As we settled into the movie, we were both so relaxed (and sleepy) that it barely registered when the door opened and someone else came in. But then I admit I was really a bit annoyed because they ended up sitting right behind us & were fumbling around, bumping the backs of our chairs as they got settled. I was thinking, it was kind of rude because after all they had ALL of the other seats to choose from & they were kicking & banging around behind us....

Then just a few minutes later, as noisily as they came in they were bumbling around again, preparing to leave! I turned around at that time & there was a giant GOOFY, dressed in his striped red & white PJs, bumping our chairs a few more times as he trotted back out the door. Too funny!

It was an awesome moment for us -- what had seemed a weird annoyance turned out to be this pajama-clad Goofy, fresh from his stint with the kids' club pajama party!! We remember that so often & remark.....Only on a Disney Cruise!!!!:rotfl2:

Have to say one other great experience is these Dissboards......Don't forget the experience starts here!

Well done all!

:thumbsup2

......Then just a few minutes later, as noisily as they came in they were bumbling around again, preparing to leave! I turned around at that time & there was a giant GOOFY, dressed in his striped red & white PJs, bumping our chairs a few more times as he trotted back out the door. Too funny!.....

Great story!

The first sighting of the ship and hearing our family announced used to give me chills (OK...still does).

But...my new memory is sad and happy at the same time - realizing my oldest DD is growing up.

Quick story – we had just spent a FANTASTIC week at the parks – the family memories you dream of. I am a blessed man.

The evening of sail away...my oldest DD (14 y/o going on 22) and I started butting heads. I quickly grew tired of the ‘one word answers’ and ‘attitude’...she wanted the independence others her age were receiving. The list for ‘both of our sides’ is long and boring – I’ll spare you the details. Well...this ‘behavior’ continued for two more days. DW (the smarter one) had enough. We were returning to our room to change from dinner when DW (the smarter one) pressed ‘deck 4’ – the wrong deck. As the doors opened...DW (the smarter one) asked DD (oldest) and I to step out. In hushed – but a stern tone, DW (the smarter one) suggested (strongly) we (oldest DD and I) take a walk on the open deck and return to the room when we worked ‘this thing’ out. DD (oldest) and I silently stared out at the water for minutes that seemed like hours. We shared our ‘sides’ and agreed to ‘cool it’...but really never ‘got it out’. As we walked down the deck – hand in hand (this felt like a token gesture – albeit progress)...my DD (oldest) jumped up and touched the bottom of the life boat. She smiled and said...see – I’m big enough that I can now touch the boat (only...she used a line from the movie Nemo – ‘you all know what I’m talking about’). I felt our time alone was ‘loosing progress’...and said...that’s not the first time you did that. She looked confused and said, “No...I wasn’t this tall last time...that’s the first time I’ve touched the boat (you know what she actually said)”. We got eye-to-eye and I said no...I then silently mimicked picking up a young child and lifting them up so they could ‘touch the boat’. It was then...things changed. As I looked into her eyes...I saw a girl growing into a young woman. Our eyes started welling up (darn moon dust) and we held each other for a few minutes (seemed like hours). We shared a good cry (darn moon dust) and some further discussion. Anger and resentment turned to laughter and a little more understanding (I say some...you figure out a teen – and to flip the coin – the rest can figure out a dad).

It’s now a joke...when DD ‘starts up’...I call her Nemo --- she will turn to DW (the smarter one) and say, “Clown fish...I thought they were funny”.

I do...have the opportunity of two more up-and-coming teen DD’s. Again...I am a blessed Dad.

Signed...advise needed

I am trying hard not to cry!!

My fav moment is a simple one. We love it at 6pmish, It all goes quiet, just looking out to sea with a glass of white wine,bit hungry for dinner, feeling a tiny bit red, all my family happy,next cruise booked. I love DCL

My favorite memory was on my very 1st cruise. I ordered a drink on castaway and by the time the server got back i was floating away in the water. The server came out in the water knee deep shoes and all to give me my drink. He was the best. :beach: :drinking1

There were so many special moments with my grandsons and family on the cruise. But for me personally---I was coming back to the ship alone from Castaway Cay. Everyone else in our party had already boarded or was soaking up the last few rays of sun on the beach. No one else was nearby as I approached the ship. But then I saw Donald Duck just lazing by the gangplank. He sprang up, grabbed my hand, and kissed it 3 times. I looked around to see if there wasn't someone to take our picture. We were all alone--but i think i saw the pixie dust in the air!

....But...my new memory is sad and happy at the same time - realizing my oldest DD is growing up.....Our eyes started welling up (darn moon dust) and we held each other for a few minutes (seemed like hours). We shared a good cry (darn moon dust) and some further discussion. Anger and resentment turned to laughter and a little more understanding ........

Awwwweeeee :hug: ( :) + :sad1: (happy tears))

Our Uncle was diagnosed with cancer and was told he had less than a year to live....so we booked a celebration of life Disney Wonder cruise for 35 people...his immediate family (kids/grandkids/brothers/neices & nephews)....originally scheduled for a November cruise, in July the Dr. gave us the terrible news that he would not make it past August....so we rebooked for August....somehow avoided the hurricanes...and set sail on the wonder..."Uncle Mike" passed away two days after getting off the cruise...but while on the cruise...the staff made his final days the most memorable anyone could ever ask for...even though Uncle Mike was now on oxygen and in a wheel chair....Captain Henry came to Tritons with several characters and sang happy birthday to Uncle Mike who would never make it to his actual birthday days later....Captain Henry then invited Uncle Mike to sound the horn while leaving the Bahamas....we all gathered as he some how lifted his left arm (something he could not do for days) to push the button to sound the horn....it was the most touching moment ever....Uncle Mike's organs began to shut down and as a final farewell...captain Henry placed Uncle Mike in the front row of the show and had his grandkids go onstage as the seven drawfs.....memories everyone will remember forever...instead of sitting in a hospital bed during his last days, Uncle Mike was able to experience the magic of Disney on the Wonder.....May God Bless his soul....thank you Disney!

Although there are many, one of the most memorable was in July 2000 our first Disney Cruise all of my family as well as my two brothers in laws and their families. After landing at Orlando Int. Airport and then taking Disney transportation to the ship, the bus driver was giving all types of info and preparing us for the cruise, and then we went over the bridge and got our first glimpse of the Disney Magic.....words can`t describe the excitement that came over the whole bus and then once we got there and checked in and being announced by family as we entered, it doesn`t get any better than that. That is why we have been numerous times and going again in August with most of the people from the first cruise along with a couple of first-timers. Can`t wait::cool1: :cool1: :yay: :banana: :banana:

100_0980.jpg

100_0966.jpg

My favorite memory while on a Disney Cruise was Last year when my one and a half year old Daughter ate for the first time at Castaway Cay. She has a feeding tube and ate NOTHING by mouth. She had been in feeding therapy but just REFUSED to eat. While at Castaway Cay she watched everyone devouring the yummy icecream cones when she leaned over and grabbed it right from my youngest son's hands and started devouring it. We were STUNNED!!!!:wizard: We got a bit of Disney Magic that day!!!!

Our Uncle was diagnosed with cancer and was told he had less than a year to live....so we booked a celebration of life Disney Wonder cruise for 35 people...his immediate family (kids/grandkids/brothers/neices & nephews)....originally scheduled for a November cruise, in July the Dr. gave us the terrible news that he would not make it past August....so we rebooked for August....somehow avoided the hurricanes...and set sail on the wonder..."Uncle Mike" passed away two days after getting off the cruise...but while on the cruise...the staff made his final days the most memorable anyone could ever ask for...even though Uncle Mike was now on oxygen and in a wheel chair....Captain Henry came to Tritons with several characters and sang happy birthday to Uncle Mike who would never make it to his actual birthday days later....Captain Henry then invited Uncle Mike to sound the horn while leaving the Bahamas....we all gathered as he some how lifted his left arm (something he could not do for days) to push the button to sound the horn....it was the most touching moment ever....Uncle Mike's organs began to shut down and as a final farewell...captain Henry placed Uncle Mike in the front row of the show and had his grandkids go onstage as the seven drawfs.....memories everyone will remember forever...instead of sitting in a hospital bed during his last days, Uncle Mike was able to experience the magic of Disney on the Wonder.....May God Bless his soul....thank you Disney!
:grouphug: I'm crying here. That is a touching story. I now need to call my enitre family.

That is amazing..truly touching. What a wonderful way to spend your last days on earth...with family, and on DCL. What a memorable experience. :hug:

I think one of the most magical times that I can think of was on our first cruise they were playing POC on the big screen. There was just something magical about lying on a beach chair next to my husband watching pirates of the carribean while floating in the carribean!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter