What was your bridal shower like?

My shower was held on a Saturday afternoon in the community center of the small town my my lived in. Relatives, friends, co-workers. My mom, grandma, MIL and bridal hosted. We had hot chicken sandwiches, meatballs and salads. My aunt made my cake. We didn't do any games but each guest was asked to fill out a card with a piece of advice for DH and I. As I opened gifts, I picked cards and read the advice. Some were very funny, some were very touching.

Ironically, we all met exactly one year later for my baby shower!

I hosted a bridal shower for my niece two years ago. We did a really fun game that would probably work well for a shy bride because all she has to do is be a judge. Here's how it works:

Divide your group into smaller groups of 3 or 4 people. Have each group designate who is going to be their "model". Give each group a roll of toilet paper and tell them they have to design an entire wedding dress including veil, flowers , etc entirely out of toilet paper for their model to wear. Give each group 10 minutes to dress their bride model. They came up with some creative bridal outfits and the bride picked the winning dress and team. Everyone really had fun and was laughing by the end of the game so it was a nice ice breaker.

I've only been to two showers, one was held in someone's home and the other was in the back area of a family style Chinese restaurant.

That restaurant one was more fun because I was older. It was for my cousin's bride to be. There were games, mainly about how well you know the bride and groom. That was awkward, I'm not especially close with my family so I didn't know a whole lot.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if mine (if the time ever comes! Prince Charming where the heck are ya?!) was held in a home. I would prefer a restaurant, and the afternoon tea makes me think somewhere at the Grand Floridian would be perfect but way too expensive.

Mine was 2 months before our wedding at a local restaurant. I don't remember exactly how many people were there, but definitely no more than 20. Most of the guests were close friends and family of my MIL (as were most of the wedding guests - I only have a few female friends, my mother, and her BFF who is like another mother to me). It was hosted by my MIL, DH's sister (my MOH and only attendant) and DH's SIL (our reader). It was in the early afternoon on a Sunday; after lunch and before dinner, so it wasn't packed. We had a room to ourselves and a lovely buffet. The restaurant actually doesn't have desserts, so MIL was able to bring in an outside cake. It was very small and relaxed and wonderful - just like our wedding!

We all liked the restaurant so much that we had our rehearsal dinner there as well - and DH and I went back for our first anniversary dinner :goodvibes

I had three showers, and my favorite was hosted by my aunts. They hosted a tea party at my parents' house, and people came and went over a few hours. It was simple, not overwhelming, and I was able to visit with small groups of people. There were no games, thank goodness! :)

My shower was held on a Saturday afternoon in the community center of the small town my my lived in. Relatives, friends, co-workers. My mom, grandma, MIL and bridal hosted. We had hot chicken sandwiches, meatballs and salads. My aunt made my cake. We didn't do any games but each guest was asked to fill out a card with a piece of advice for DH and I. As I opened gifts, I picked cards and read the advice. Some were very funny, some were very touching.

Ironically, we all met exactly one year later for my baby shower!

I really like the bolded idea.......that would be quite helpful/amusing for my son and future DIL!::yes::

Kitty 34 said:
I really like the bolded idea.......that would be quite helpful/amusing for my son and future DIL!::yes::

My SIL put them into a mini scrapbook for us! Whenever I'm feeling like the weight of the world is on our marriage, I pull that little book out and read the loving words our family and friends gave to us. Always helps!

My SIL put them into a mini scrapbook for us! Whenever I'm feeling like the weight of the world is on our marriage, I pull that little book out and read the loving words our family and friends gave to us. Always helps!

My future DIL would probably love (and need) something like that going far away from home not knowing anyone but my son come this March. The longest she has ever been away from home was in 6th grade when she went to a 2-week camp. She's 22 but stayed at home while commuting to college.

I had two showers, one with family and my mother's close friends who I knew rather well. For that one we did a brunch thing at 1030am and we had egg casserole, cinnamon rolls, fruit and mimosa's(coffee, tea and water as well) and after we ate I opened gifts and we talked. I loved it!

The second was more of a lingerie shower with friends. Lots of booze and other things.... haha. I won't go into it more.

In my experience, bridal and baby showers are a lot more elaborate then those described. (so it may be a regional question). Never any games, never never.
Restaurant, Hall or Hotel banquet room. 50-100 people. catered food, entertainment, elaborate decorations and favors. Semi formal attire (ladies who lunch type suits, dresses, heels, full makeup and jewelry)

Many many moons ago I had a bridal shower with gifts and games and lots of appetizers and cocktails in my best friends' living room. That's how we all did it in the 80s...

I'll be married again in 10 short weeks:scared1: and I'm being as discreet as possible in mentioning what I'd prefer this time around. I certainly don't need anything for my house that I've owned for 30 years and I've always felt that gag gifts (naughty nighties and that sort of thing) are just a complete waste of money.

I've dropped the hint that I'd love brunch or an italian dinner out or at a friends' home with NO GIFTS to spend the time celebrating my last few weeks of being single. At this point, I know I"ll be the butt of jokes because I've been the single friend for all our lives' (married just one year way back when) and everyone is getting a lot of mileage out of this engagement;)

With all the money spent for a wedding by both the couple and those taking part as well as those attending, it seems foolish to spend $$ on a big shower. Of course, for those younger couples just putting together a house there are soooo many things they can use...I still hate buying sheets and towels and other household stuff, haha.

Mine was held at my Godmother's house. I lived about 90 minutes from there, so my mother in law and a bunch of friend caravaned down. It was a lot of fun. Just a couple of games, nothing to embarassing, good food and an awesome cake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter