What was the "forbidden music" while you were growing up?

I listen to nothing but hip hop and rap music. N.W.A , Two Live Crew, Public Enemy, and Ice T. Every kind of Gangsta rap I can get my hands on. My Mom all this music and took me to concerts.

My brother had a Tone Loc tape, "Wild Thing", when he was 8 that he used to play over and over. My mom wasn't too happy he had it.

For some reason, my dad hated Simon and Garfunkle, particularly "Silent Night". My friend and I found a copy of one of their albums in the trash at a neighbor's, and my dad absolutely went ballistic when we played it. I know why--he objected to the fact that they were Jewish and were singing a Christmas carol.

OMG, my parents hated Prince and that Huey Lewis song "I want a new drug"

:crazy:

I have a funny story...

My mom did not ban us from any music. BUT, I was banned from listening to Cheech and Chong. If you are of my generation or older, you know of what I speak. Cheech and Chong were OFF limits. I was about 12, and I had spent the day next door at my friends house. We were in her room, and she snuck her brother's Cheech and Chong tape. I never laughed so hard in my life! Now, at 12, I pretty much only GOT two jokes on the whole tape. One was when they snuck a group of people into the drive-in in the trunk. The trunk was locked, couldn't get it opened, so one of them went to look for something to open it with....let's just say, I rememer how hard I laughed, I think I actually peed my pants from laughing so hard. The other was Daves not home, man.

Fast forward to later that evening. I have always had a problem with my humor. In that, if I find something extremely funny, if I even think about it later on, I get the giggles agian (actually, my son does this now, it is too funny). So, that night, the whole family was watching the movie Green Berets with John Wayne. Not a very funny movie. But, I was thinking about the Cheech and Chong tape. I kept busting out in giggles. My siblings were ready to have me committed. I tried to froce myself to stop, because I realized I was laughing at an inappropriate time. My mom finally could not take it any longer and insisted to know what was so funny. I had to tell her. I told her I listened to a Cheech and Chong tape that day with Kathy. When she realized that I was laughing at somethimg I had listened to HOURS before, she burst out laughing herself. She could not get over how much I had the giggles hours later.

It was all very funny! I don't think she banned Cheech and Chong from me after that, because she saw how much I enjoyed it, or she figured I would listen to it anyway, so better she know than me sneak off, I don't know, but that night has been very memorable for me. Too funny!

My parents never banned me from listening to anything - ever. Instead, they bought me headphones (remember the ones in the early 70's that made you look like Princess Leah? LOL!) because their taste in music was different than mine. Mom - the Johnny Mathis lover - just could not grasp my hard rock/heavy metal likings (& she still can't). But that didn't stop her from buying me AC/DC's Dirty Deeds for Christmas when I was 5 or 6.

I think they didn't mind because they knew either I literally didn't understand the lyrics & was singing them wrong or that I didn't understand the concept of things that I was hearing (like when I was 5 with AC/DC's "Love at First Feel" or when I was 9 or 10 with Billy Squires "Stroke Me"). They didn't correct me either. I can remember many times as an adult hearing a song I hadn't heard since I was a kid & saying to myself "so that's what they were saying".

I must say because of that, I feel I have been exposed to a wider variety of music. I am very well rounded actually. I now have such an appreciation for music that I wouldn't have had if my music was "banned".

My DD5 loves music from the 50's - the 80's. She loves Metallica as much as she likes the songs from the Disney movies. Her favorite "Halloween" song is Night on Bald Mountain! I, like my parents did, just let her sing what she thinks is right. I don't correct her unless it is the song title or a "clean song".

Since she has the same taste in music as I do - the only way I will make her wear headphones is if she wants to listen to opera. :teeth:

My Mom would go nutz if we listened to Kiss,Frank Zappa, or that song I touched myself by Samantha Foxx

We would crank it up just to watch her turn red.

My dad on the other hand would wake up on a Sat morning(without his teeth in) and sing We're not gonna take it by Twisted Sister.

Just remembering brings a smile to my face :)

Listened to what I wanted, the roots of R&R in the early/mid 50's . Elvis and Little Richard were controversial, as was the one song, Louie, Louie by the Kingsman

i have to say, my parents were pretty great on that front. they never told me i couldn't listen to something i wanted to listen to...they just made fun of it. ;)

I too remember Darling Nikki, I want your sex and Like a virgin...but my mom let me listen to those...I don't think I got 'it'..and she knew it...LOL
There was a song called "People are still having sex" by LaTour, and she didn't care for it...and I was trying to explain it is telling you you'll get aids if you have sex...so she 'allowed' it..but wasn't happy.
What I DID listen to that my mom didn't know about tho, was Too Short, the Life Is CD... alll cussword rap... I thought I was cool!
LOL

Showing my age here..."I Think We're Alone Now".

TC:cool:

Nothing was banned in my home, but growing up the 80's - Prince was "risque", and heavy metal was "violent and made teens kill themselves"...remember Tipper Gore and the PMRC?:rolleyes:

Gotta go with "I Wanna Sex You Up" and "Like A Virgin." I would turn them on really low and listen to them when my parents weren't around! lol!

Growing up my mom's favorite bands were Aerosmith, KISS and Danzig and my dad's were Prince and Depeche Mode, so not much was off limits to me. :p

But it did teach me to appreciate all types of music. :listen:

Nothing was really off limits for me as well,but KoRn is not exactly loved along with most hard rock,rap metal and rap(but my mom actually found Real Silm Shady funny)

Punk. When the Sex Pistols came onto the scene in Britain, there was universal outrage among the middle aged. I was never banned from listening to them, but it was made clear that they weren't approved of. :D

I think my mom might have had a problem with the Grease soundtrack if she ever bothered to listen to the words! I didn't know what they were saying either so we were safe! ;)

Music wasn't really forbidden for me. But I do remember turning down the songs I Want To Sex You Up, and Lets Talk About Sex, very low so my mom didn't hear. She never complained about the music, I just didn't want her to hear the lyrics.

I remember when I was real young I had an obsession for singing the Chorus, "how can we be lovers if we can't be friends" and "like a virgin" when were out in public. I embarrassed the heck out of my poor mom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter