• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What was most BUDGET friendly vacation (non disney)

2009 Sesame Place Season Passes

Super Grover Season Pass- $169.95 plus tax

With a 2009 Super Grover Season Pass enjoy unlimited admission to Sesame Place for the 2009 season, unlimited admission to Busch Gardens (VA, FL), Aquatica and SeaWorld (FL, TX, CA) parks through 12/31/09 and seasonal discounts to Discovery Cove. You'll also get FREE Preferred parking, preferred seating at shows, Ride Again privilege at select attractions, Meet & Greet visits with Sesame Street Friends, 30% discount on food and merchandise in 2009 at Sesame Place only (not valid on Character Dine Experiences, games or rentals), $10 off single-day admission for visiting friends and relatives and more!

Purchase between 11/3/08 - 5/1/09 $159.95

Purchase between 5/1/09 - 7/3/09 $169.95

That is a great deal! Thanks!

It is too late now but for future planning at the end of the season, they offer buy 4 season passes for the price of 3. That is what I did this season. I got the regular passes. My daughter is two so she can get in for free at Busch Garden and SeaWorld but needs a ticket for Sesame Place. I just upgraded my ticket to the Grover and kept her's the same. The other passes were for my sister in law and nephew. They can upgrade anytime, if they like. Great way to save if you know you would go to Busch Garden or SeaWorld in 2010.

Also if you check their site, they offer some great shows. My daughter is a Lazy Town and Choo Choo Soul fan. They are performing there. There are also opportunities to bring friends for free on selected dates.

Two summers ago our family of five took a week long vacation to Cape Cod for $1500 total. That included beach front accommodations, transportation from Buffalo to MA (driving), all our food, and activities. We had fun things planned for each day; museums, whale watching, Pirate cruise, day trip to Martha's Vineyard.

It was an awesome trip and really cheap. I wrote about it in detail in my travel blog (link below).

Maine! You could camp near Acadia National Park (or rent a camping cabin) for a few hundred dollars. Motels are a bit pricey in season, but not much more expensive than any vacation destination. I'm just cheap! I grew up in southern Maine and spent summers working at the beach there. As a local, I don't think the southern Maine coast (York, Ogunquit, Wells, etc.) are the best places to vacation to really experience Maine. :) Acadia is possibly the most beautiful place I've ever been. A friend who is a world traveler thinks it's in his top 5.

I agree with the the poster who mentioned Santa's Village and Story Land in N.H. We have done that vacation twice. Once when our boys were 4
& 6, and once when they were 8 & 6. They are now 10 & 8 and I asked them if they'd rather go to N.H. or Disney on vacation this year and they picked N.H. It could be because they have been to Disney 6 times and Disneyland once. A pretty cheap vacation compared to Disney. I love going to N.H. Check out their websites.

Baltimore Inner Harbor. Get a room in the Harbor though hotwire.

Since we will be trying to go to Disney in November.....
We wanted to take small/short trips in the summer months July and/or August.

I would really like to go to lake george but dont know much about it. As far as the Jersey shore.... We like in NJ so we do those often. Thanks for all of your ideas i will have to research, research, research!

-------------------------------

Here you go - tons of info here..

http://www.visitlakegeorge.com/

Right now I'm sitting at my place in the mountains about 40 minutes from there!

Lots to do - and by checking that site you can follow links to get an idea of lodging rates..:)

Interesting thread...... My cheapest vacation was when we stayed with the inlaws:scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1: NEVER AGAIN!!!

I would like to take a small/short vacation...ON A BUDGET....We live in jersey I was thinking Boston, Maine, lake george (Something in driving distance) 4/7hrs tops. I have not started research but you guys are always soo helpful. I know you guys are thinking NOT DISNEY!! We are going to try to go in November.

Thanks!

Lake George is pretty much closed down in November. Not much to do there at all. Six Flags will be closed, althought the over crowded indoor water park will be open. They were closed some during the week last Nov, but were open on weekends. What hotels are still open will be cheaper than in the summer.
There is a couple of dude ranches just outside of Lake George. They are rustic, but well loved by all who go. I would recommend Ridin-Hy Ranch Resort. All of our grands learned how to ski there (they make their own snow on their small mountain (think, big hill!). The cowboys are great with the young children teaching them to ski. They have a nice indoor pool and activities/games at night.

Re-reading what you wrote..maybe you meant Disney in Nov, LG in summer. I love the Adirondacks, just not a fan of crowded, busy Lake George. It's a real touristy place in the summer, with lots and lots of teenagers. Does have a beautiful beach, and it's not far from Saratoga and lots of small lakes. Even in the summer, I would suggest Ridin-Hi.very nice even in the summer..lots of fun, horseback riding, water skiing, beach, games, etc., and a hop, skip and a jump, if you want to go into LG for a few hours..maybe take a boat ride.

how about the Berkshires in Western Ma? Lots of Theater, museums, farms, and the summer home of the Boston Symphony

November can be a tough month in NE. Although hotel prices might be lower because it is after foliage season and before ski season, many of the "touristy" places close down or run very limited hours. If you look at NH, check the dates that places like Santa's Village, Storyland and Clarks Trading Post are open. I much prefer to visit NH, VT or ME in the summer.

DC can be a relatively cheap vaca. if you plan well. If you stay outside the city you will get much better hotel and parking rates. Hotel rates in DC are usually cheaper on weekends due to all the business travellers. You can stay at the Hampton Inn in Crystal City which provides breakfast and save $ that way. It is close to the Metro, which is easy and cheap, and surrounded by restaurants and shopping. They also only charge $10 a night for parking. Many of the dc attractions are free, so that saves on cost too. I highly recommend the National Zoo, but drive there unless you want a long hike from the metro stop.

Also the Baltimore Aquarium is outstanding, and very kid friendly, and not far from DC.

Good luck with your decision.

Sorry....your initial post confused me....didn't realize you wanted a budget SUMMER trip!

Williamsburg VA is another option with Busch gardens - water country, VA beach, Norfolk.. I find it very relaxing and enjoyable there..

signed - ex LBI residents :)

Interesting thread...... My cheapest vacation was when we stayed with the inlaws:scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1: NEVER AGAIN!!!

Our cheapest vacations have been invites from friends. A friend of ours has family with a cabin on Lake Superior that we go up to in the summer. A friend of a friend has a house on the beach South of Cancun. My parents have a house on a lake. A friend has a house in Upstate New York. Even cheaper than camping (which we have done, but since we aren't regularly campers, there is a lot of gear to acquire - usually borrow, sometimes rent).

If you have friends who will let you stay with them, and they are compatible, that can make for a really cheap vacation. Or renting a house somewhere to share with friends - particularly in the offseason.

I live between Lake George and Saratoga and would be willing to answer and questions you have feel free to PM me

My girlfriend and I took our kids to D.C. this past summer and is was the best. We stayed at an Embassy Suites :lovestruc which made our trip super affordable. We were all able to share a suite and the best part was all of the amenities. They have a HUGE breakfast buffet every morning and heavy appetizers each evening with a COMPLEMENTARY bar!!! This saved us a ton of $ on food and drinks. Most all of the sites and museums that we visited were free, so it is quite an economical vacation. We also rode the Amtrack and got our tickets with a good AAA discount. :thumbsup2

Boston is extremely expensive. With kids I think it's even more expensive than NYC :scared1:

Lancaster is a nice trip. My kids love staying at the Fulton Steamboat which is very reasonable in price. Also Willow Valley resort they also love. You can travel to Hershey also. Another trip we love is the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee (Pigeon Forge is very family friendly and they a bunch of new waterpark hotels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter