What was considered new when you were growing up?

Automobiles.

KIDDING: Renting movies. I remember my dad telling me that he had rented Indiana Jones and I had pictured that he was setting up a movie screen in our backyard.

Seems like stuff like video games, VCRs, cable TV, microwave ovens, and music cassettes were the things I remember seeming new when I was growing up. Some of that stuff may have been around before, but it really seemed new.

I definitely remember when cable TV became a "thing" locally. I was in elementary school. EVERYBODY was talking about it. We were talking about it so much at school that our teacher actually banned the phrase "cable TV":rotfl2:

Sliced Bread

I just had a birthday and I feel like I want to say fire... 🤣 but it wouldn't be true.

80's kid here, so generally things liek video game systems, home computers, cordless telephones (not mobile, just connected to a base station plugged into the wall). Microwaves had been around, but I can remember not having one and when we did get one. They weren't so common really. Even black & white TV's were still pretty common, usually not as someone's primary set.

Last edited:
TV, jet airplanes, Doo Wop music, diesel trains, fast food, air conditioning for homes, I'm really old.

CDs. Technically invented before I was born, but not in wide use (music, computer games, etc.) until after.
This. My parents (middle class but early adopters) had a CD player, and just sort of assumed everyone did. They gave my wealthy cousin a CD for her birthday, and her parents had to go out and buy a player! They just hadn't gotten around to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter