what vitamins do you take and why (what do they do)?

dis2cruise

Long Island, NY
I guess this is all because of the new year to better yourself...today I went to costco and right when I walked in a saw tons of vitamins....am I missing something?? I saw a bottle of red yeast vitamin what the heck is this for?????

cheryl

I practically have my own pharmacy... I buy them when I hear how great they are, then they dont seem to do a darn thing.

multi, vitaminc, vitamin e, and flaxseed oil

I take Omega-Zen3 (brand name), which is an omega 3 fatty acid made from algae. I take it as a vegetarian alternative to fish oil. It has done wonders for my dry eyes, and helps my dry skin (although my skin is still very dry!). It took about 6 months before I noticed it working, though. Omega 3 fatty acids are supposed to be good for your entire body, including your brain. When I worked in a psych unit a few years ago they were just starting to give high-dose fatty acids to people with dementia and bipolar disorder.

I also take magnesium 250mg twice a day--helps with the awful leg cramps I get from plantar fasciitis. It started working within a few days of starting it!

I also take a vegan glucosamine twice a day. Glucosamine is supposed to help rebuild the lining of the bladder (among other things--it's also good for joints and tendons). I have interstitial cystitis from undiagnosed urinary tract infections and I am hoping this will help. I've only been taking it for a couple of months and haven't noticed any improvement, but I plan to take it for quite a while as I know (after using the omega 3 fatty acid and it taking 6 months for me to notice changes) it may take a long time to start working.

prenatal vit because I was pregnant and now I'm nursing. Honestly I only take them when I remember which isn't alot.

I take One-a-Day Weight Smart Advanced. I started taking it when I was losing weight and still do because I work out a lot. I try really hard to eat right and pretty much eat according the the food pyramid so I get most of my vitamins and minerals from what I am eating. I do notice the difference on the days I skip my vitamin, though. I tend to get worn down a lot quicker.

Multi, Vit C, B12, Calcium w/vit D, and Biotin. I feel healthier when I take vitamins. The B12 and Biotin are more for metabolism. Biotin is also good for strong nails and hair. I hardly ever get sick anymore.

I saw a bottle of red yeast vitamin what the heck is this for?????

cheryl

That is for lowering your cholesterol. My doc suggested it for me when my cholesterol was 204. But I am a bad girl and haven't taken it recently. DH takes it. His total cholesterol normally is in the 160-190 range. Then one time it was just over 200. He started taking it and the next time he had bloodwork done it was down somewhere around 170. He also takes Andrew Lessman's Men's Multivitamin and 3 fishoil caps a day.

That is for lowering your cholesterol. My doc suggested it for me when my cholesterol was 204. But I am a bad girl and haven't taken it recently. DH takes it. His total cholesterol normally is in the 160-190 range. Then one time it was just over 200. He started taking it and the next time he had bloodwork done it was down somewhere around 170. He also takes Andrew Lessman's Men's Multivitamin and 3 fishoil caps a day.

thanks i too have high cholesterol maybe i should start taking them too!!

I just read last week that taking Red Yeast supplement is no longer beneficial. In the U.S., the active ingredient of Red Yeast has been classified as a drug (and is used to make Lipitor and other like medications). Since that active ingredient now has the drug classification, it can no longer be put into supplements. So any supplement you buy under that name, no longer has the beneficial ingredient in it for lowering cholesterol.

Interesting about the red yeast. I tried taking it and it did nothing.

I take Fish Oil because its a good one to take. When I ran out for a couple weeks, I noticed a big difference in energy level. I also take Calcium and D. I used to take B supplements, but then my dr found a B12 deficiency, so now I get shots (great stuff!). Probably should take B6, though.

I used to be able to take multis, but lately they all make me nauseous. Don't know why, I can take Iron and Bs individually with no problem, and they're usually the culprits.

A multi-vitamin, b-complex, and a calcium tablet. Just inc ase I am not getting enough in my diet (which is pretty varied and contains a good amount of fruit/veggies).

Sam's Club.com has in interesting help on its' web site - a vitamin suggestor - you enter your personal information and it formulates vitamin suggestions based on your input. The printout also shows the benefit of each supplement.

Sam's Club.com has in interesting help on its' web site - a vitamin suggestor - you enter your personal information and it formulates vitamin suggestions based on your input. The printout also shows the benefit of each supplement.

This sounds very interesting to me but I am having trouble locating it on the website.

Can anyone help?

I take:
a women's multi-vitamin
Fish oil capsules since I don't eat fish
an aspirin
cholest-off (band name) to help with cholesterol
potassium

A heart doctor told me to take the aspirin because of my family's history with heart problems. The rest I do on my own since it's near impossible to eat right all the time for me. :(

Here's the info on the red yeast rice:

Small scale studies using pharmaceutical-grade red rice yeast have continued to demonstrate efficacy and safety. However, in the United States it is no longer legal to sell supplements containing red yeast rice, and the active ingredients of red rice yeast have been removed from Cholestin marketed in the United States. (Hypocol, another product containing red yeast rice is no longer being sold in the United States.)

The reasons the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) removed red yeast rice from the market in the United States were several.

First, statin drugs are associated with muscle and kidney injury when used alone or combined with other medications. There is concern that patients who already take statin drugs with or without these other medications may increase their risk of muscle or kidney injury.

Second, the FDA considers the products containing red yeast rice to be new, unapproved drugs for which marketing violates the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.

I just read last week that taking Red Yeast supplement is no longer beneficial. In the U.S., the active ingredient of Red Yeast has been classified as a drug (and is used to make Lipitor and other like medications). Since that active ingredient now has the drug classification, it can no longer be put into supplements. So any supplement you buy under that name, no longer has the beneficial ingredient in it for lowering cholesterol.

Yes, I read this too after the doc said that I could try it. Google is my friend;) !! It’s not expensive so I figured why not!!! My DH’s cholesterol came down when he took it, could be a coincidence. But maybe not!! Now I just need to buckle down and take it:thumbsup2 !!

I take:
a women's multi-vitamin
Fish oil capsules since I don't eat fish
an aspirin
cholest-off (band name) to help with cholesterol
potassium

A heart doctor told me to take the aspirin because of my family's history with heart problems. The rest I do on my own since it's near impossible to eat right all the time for me. :(
Are you taking a baby aspirin or low dose aspirin? Or did your doctor recommend a specific dosage.

Right now I'm taking a women's multi vitamin, fish oil and a calcium supplement. Just found out my 92 year old grandmother has a compressed vertebrae due to osteoporosis. The calcium is to prevent that.

I just take a generic version (either from Target or Sam's Club) of a Women's multi vitamin. Not sure why......:confused3 Guess just feel I should??? :rotfl:

I have asked my Dr's about extra calcium because of the Osteo that runs in my family. He told me not to worry now because I take the multi and because I seem to have enough dairy/calcium in my diet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter