• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What type of vacationer benefits most from DVC?

alcie27

Mouseketeer
What type of family/vacation preferences/vacation frequency benefits most from a DVC membership?

You'll get a range of answers. My take:

* You plan to return to WDW every year (or, at worst, every other year) for the foreseeable future---measured in decades, not years.

* You would never seriously consider an offsite (i.e. non-Disney) resort for your WDW vacation.

* You typically stay in Deluxe Disney resorts; you might sometimes stay in Moderates.

What type of family/vacation preferences/vacation frequency benefits most from a DVC membership?

I think the answer will vary, depending on who you ask. My DH is great with finances, so before we purchased, he created some sort of super spreadsheet and figured out if it was financially "worth it" for us. If you typically stay at value or moderate resorts, DVC won't be financially beneficial for you. If you stay in deluxe resorts than it can. Your break even point will all depend on how often you plan on going and how many points you buy. We didn't buy with the plan of trading out either, I don't think this is a good value for us right now and may never be.

My wife and I live 80 miles North of Disney. Our Daughter lives near us and my son lives in Boston. We all love Disney and not only for the activity. I am selfemployed and can go when I want or Disney has the unit I want. We love to lounge around the pool and walk around and may never go into the parks.

You'll get a range of answers. My take:

* You plan to return to WDW every year (or, at worst, every other year) for the foreseeable future---measured in decades, not years.

* You would never seriously consider an offsite (i.e. non-Disney) resort for your WDW vacation.

* You typically stay in Deluxe Disney resorts; you might sometimes stay in Moderates.

Agree, add a few

You are in a financially stable position, your risk of finding dues financially burdensome in the next few years is low.

You don't really take a lot of satisfaction from "the deal.". Some years and for some trips, DVC is a great deal, some years and some trips, Disney has tempting promotions. If you can't let go...frustration.

You don't mind the timeshare restrictions...I.e. limited mouse keeping. Less generous cancellation terms. Needing to plan months out for more options at more time of year than in with the hotels.

I agree with the above and I need to add that owning a DVC interest locks you into years and years of Disney vacations that can cost you $80,000 plus during your ownership.

:earsboy: Bill

You asked who benefits the most, ignoring intangibles and emotional issues, I think there's really only one group that will benefit the most. Those that plan to stay at a DVC resort at least every other year, can afford it and can (& will) plan far ahead. In addition you would have to avoid 1 BR units. In the past you had to add go light on weekends and while that isn't true right now, it maybe be again later.

I think the answer will vary, depending on who you ask. My DH is great with finances, so before we purchased, he created some sort of super spreadsheet and figured out if it was financially "worth it" for us. If you typically stay at value or moderate resorts, DVC won't be financially beneficial for you. If you stay in deluxe resorts than it can. Your break even point will all depend on how often you plan on going and how many points you buy. We didn't buy with the plan of trading out either, I don't think this is a good value for us right now and may never be.

And that's a good financial answer. But for us, our DVC benefits aren't financial.

We've spent FAR more with DVC than without it...and we used to stay Deluxe. For us, the biggest benefit of DVC is the "nookie perk" - the kids sleep in a different room :rotfl: Its some expensive nookie...but its made vacations much more pleasant.

For other people, its enforced vacationing. There have been a number of people on this board that say "I'd never be able to get my husband to take time off if we didn't have points that were going to expire."

For some people with dietary restrictions, its their own kitchen. Disney is good at dietary restrictions, but having your own kitchen is really nice in those cases (and others).

You asked who benefits the most, ignoring intangibles and emotional issues, I think there's really only one group that will benefit the most. Those that plan to stay at a DVC resort at least every other year, can afford it and can (& will) plan far ahead. In addition you would have to avoid 1 BR units. In the past you had to add go light on weekends and while that isn't true right now, it maybe be again later.

Why avoid one-bedroom units? The one-bedroom units let us spread out and enjoy our stay, cook at home, and never worry about laundry. My husband, who used to hate staying in Disney hotels and eating out all the time, now loves our stays in one-bedroom villas at OKW.

Why avoid one-bedroom units? The one-bedroom units let us spread out and enjoy our stay, cook at home, and never worry about laundry. My husband, who used to hate staying in Disney hotels and eating out all the time, now loves our stays in one-bedroom villas at OKW.

Adds to your costs, its hard to break even if you have four people in a one bedroom, even five. Even if you cook in your room, its hard to justify, especially when you can cook in a studio - just maybe not as well.

Granted, the intangibles can make it "worthwhile" but its about spreading out, that's a intangible or emotional aspect

Realize I qualified the group more to actual dollar value by removal of intangibles and emotional, personal preference issues. From a dollar standpoint studios are the best value and 2 BR next compared to 2 hotel rooms, at least where DVC is concerned. That seemed to be the question at hand.

Realize I qualified the group more to actual dollar value by removal of intangibles and emotional, personal preference issues. From a dollar standpoint studios are the best value and 2 BR next compared to 2 hotel rooms, at least where DVC is concerned. That seemed to be the question at hand.

For a family of five studios are not an option and 2br too many points. 1br are our best value.

For a family of five studios are not an option and 2br too many points. 1br are our best value.
They may be the lessor of evils for your situation but they are still more expensive than a moderate that sleeps 5.

I originally bought DVC for my mom and I to enjoy vacations in a 1 bedroom. A studio would be just like a hotel room, I didn't see any benefit to buying DVC for it. Since she passed away, I still book 1 bedrooms at BWV for just a friend or 2 and I. I have been booking studios at VGC because of the higher point cost.

they are still more expensive than a moderate that sleeps 5.
I haven't done the math yet, but I suspect a 1BR works out to be more expensive than a Ft. Wilderness Cabin or the Family Value Suites at either ASMu or AoA as well.

I haven't done the math yet, but I suspect a 1BR works out to be more expensive than a Ft. Wilderness Cabin or the Family Value Suites at either ASMu or AoA as well.

And most of the deluxes that sleep five, particularly if you aren't paying rack rate.

One bedrooms are wonderful, heck we are about to put four of us in a grand villa, but it isn't about saving money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter