What type of Room is best for 6

NJDisney

Mouseketeer
We are thinking of taking a cruise but trying to figure out the best room(s) to get for a family of 6.

Ideas?

Depending on which ship you are on, there may not even be an option to get you in a single cabin. (If I remember correctly, the Dream only has staterooms for 5 even for the top suites.) Your best bet (money-wise) will be two cabins. The least expensive would of course be inside cabins. You can also mix cabins (one outside/one inside; one verandah/one inside). Of course if you mix categories, you couldn't get connecting rooms. How important connecting rooms are might depend on the kid's ages.

Maybe a little more info about the family make up and what you are expecting from cabins would help us make suggestions for you (i.e. have small children that still need to nap in the afternoon might get suggestions that you have a verandah so whoever is with the napping kids can have a nice space to enjoy the cruise or if you say you have 4 teenagers, we'll suggest you get two cabins both with split baths so you have room to get ready in the morning and before dinner)

Thanks clten

If we go next year then we will have kids that are ages 6,9,11,12.

Naps will be gone but a place where the wife and I can unwind after the kids go to bed is a must. I believe that I will probably have to get 2 cabins and would like them to be connecting.

You can get two rooms and categories 11B and up sleep 4. So, if you want, you and your wife can have one room, while the children share the second room for sleeping.
Whether you get an inside, ocean view, or verandah cabin is something only you can decide for your family and budget.
Good luck!

If we go next year then we will have kids that are ages 6,9,11,12.
Naps will be gone but a place where the wife and I can unwind after the kids go to bed is a must. I believe that I will probably have to get 2 cabins and would like them to be connecting.
That's the route we followed last December. There were 6 of us with DS8, DD6, DS2.75 and my 75 yr old mom along with DW and myself. On the Magic, we were in outside connecting staterooms that allowed us to close the door between rooms for more privacy and to allow the kids to sleep while we were otherwise occupied. Your 11 & 12 yr olds could stay later with their own sign out priveledges, or possible sitters for your youngest while the parents go around for a cocktail of their own.
The connecting cabin worked so well that our Carnival cruise this December with just the 5 of us is again connecting. (This time with balconies too!:cool1:)

We are a family of 6 and thats what we had always done. Two rooms (we chose connecting CAT 9's). Worked wonderfully for us! :thumbsup2

Yes with 4 kids the way to go is the connecting rooms
Good thing you are booking this far out-- Disney is a tad bit behind with accomadations for larger families-- They are doing things at the parks with their family suites and I hope it continues

A good bit of advice I got when I asked a similar question recently: if you reserve 2 rooms, put one grown up and 3 kids on one room, and one grown up and 1 kid on the other. You can rearrange your sleeping arrangements however you want, but that way you get the discount of the 3rd and 4th person in a room. Every bit helps!:dance3:

Book early, there are not all that many rooms with inside connecting door and they go very fast. So please do not wait to book or you may not get what you need.

We booked connecting Cat 10s. (Inside/split bath). We put DH and 2 DDs on one and myself and 2 DDs on the other, BUT DH and I slept in one and 4DDs in the other. We kept the doors open between most of the time. We sometimes turned the dead bolt of each door which kept them almost closed but either side could push them open. (a spring keeps them closed unless you use a door stop or elastic "cable-tie" to hold them open.) You can also get extra door "keys" so you can enter either.
DDs were 6, 8, 12, & 14 first cruise and 8,10,14,& 16 on the second.

We get a balcony room for my DH and me and a inside cabin across the hall for kids. It works great. We bring a baby monitor to listen in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter