What type of luggage do you like?

DoomBuggieDriver

Boston Strong
Hi everyone,
Looked through the search feature and didn't find anything that was quite what I was looking for...

I am in the market for luggage for the 7 day cruise for a family of 4. I already have several options for carry-ons, but I am looking for larger bags to be checked. What size/type luggage has worked well for you, or luggage you have seen in your travels that looks like something you would like for yourself?

Thanks so much!
Kathy:wave2:

Something that rolls and is stackable. We always seem to have 5-6 bags (family of 4) and I need things to be as portable as possible.

Anything with wheels. Even the lightest bag gets heavy after a while. We also "piggy-back" our bags so we don't have to carry anything.

I am looking for something with soft sides because the last trip I was over the weight limit and I couldn't believe it. I had taken alot of stuff out already so I weighed my suitcase and found out the suitcase alone weighed 15lbs. If I get a lighter suitcase I can bring more shoes.

The wieght limit was for the air lines not the cruise ship.:smooth: :smooth:

DoomBuggieDriver I was just saying this to my DS.
I also need new luggage for a 7 day cruise. Is there a Brand Name that anyone likes. I don't want to spend money one brand when another brand might be better quality for a few $ more and having no experience in this area(my last vacation was 12 years ago) thought you all could help.Thanks.

We just purchased the Eddie Bauer Easy Journey rolling duffles and they are great. I think they seem roomy enough to pack for the whole week in one bag. They roll which is extremely important and will collapse flat when emptied, but they have some structure to their two ends, so it has some support to it. They have separate shoe compartments and a zip-off suitor section which I have never seen before on a duffle that will hold my husband's sportcoat and my dresses. We also purchased the Easy Journey soft-sided carry-on which is large, but fits the "carry-on" size restrictions. We looked at luggage sets and decided that all of them had pieces that were either too small or that we wouldn't use (like the small carry-on).

Quick but sweet version....I will get to the luggage part bare with me....December of last year boss, etc. planned a trip to for meetings and Christmas party in D.C.

At the last minute, I decided I didn't want to go so I called my boss, Sandra, to tell her that I wasn't going to come. However, my boss had different plans for me. She stated in short but understandable words that I was expected to be in D.C. today. Now, I live in Minneapolis, MN but don't have any family in Minneapolis to take care of my daughter. So I had to drive my daughter to Milwaukee, WI. Milwaukee is 5 1/2 - 6 hour drive at the most doing the legal 65 mile limit.

So, I packed our bags within 30 minutes, called the travel company on the road to get another ticket booked for the last flight leaving Milwaukee to DC on Midwest Airlines. So I am flying down 94 East ....not doing the legal limit....get to the Milwaukee border 45 minutes before flight departs with 20 minutes to get to the airport from border.

Okay..at this point I am panicking... I know I am not going to make this flight. Call my sister in transit...please meet me at the airport won't have time to bring her to your house and get to the airport on time. So I finally get to the airport 20 minutes until plane leaves. Wait - I still have to find a parking spot and get in the airport.

HERE IS WHERE THE GOOD LUGGAGE COMES IN.......I pull into the airport parking ramp like a mad women....my daughter and I jump out..(did I mention that the trip to DC was for a week) so I had a lot of luggage (business outfits, formal outfits, laptop, etc.). I had one large suitecase and another suitcase THEY ATTACH and ROLL TOGETHER. My daughter had her suitcase that ROLLS and her barbie suitcase that ROLLS.

Ready, set, go....we are running through the airport with our suitcases etc. in tow. D***, did I remember to lock to car....so we turn around....I didn't lock the car so I was glad I thought of it before I hit the plane.

Ready, set, go....off again to run to get to the check-in counter. 12 minutes and counting.......

Like an angel my sister and her husband was there to greet me and my daughter. I didn't have a change to kiss my daughter goodbye because at this point 6 minutes and counting....

Ready, set, go I am off to get through security with my carry-on, laptop bag, etc. Security was sweet and when I practically got naked so I didn't set off the alarm so waved me through....

Ready, set, go....wouldn't you know it my flight is at the very last gate. So I am running as fast can through the terminal with my bag that ROLLS in tow......

I finally make it to the gate as they were getting ready to leave..... I make the plane....I get to keep my job! Landing in D.C. 9:45 p.m.

The moral of this story....buy luggage that if you need to you can RUN with, that has soft sides, and that is afforable. The name brand of my luggage I couldn't even begin to tell you. Where did I purchase my luggage WALMART. Who knew that my $99 set of three luggage would save my job! :sunny:

I bought a set of Eddie Bauer luggage at Target last year. We have used it three times and we are really happy with it. It is soft sided with wheels and all the pieces nest inside each other for storage. They usually have sales on luggage in April and May because it is a popular graduation gift and the summer vacation trips are around the corner.

Also, make sure that even if the suitcase has wheels, it has an extendable handle as well. Right after we got married, my husband bought me a rolling duffel (good) that didn't have an extendable handle (we soon learned that was bad). I'm pretty short and I still had to crouch through the airport while my bag banged me in the legs. Not fun! Life is a lot better now that I have one with an extendable handle!:cool:

I used to have the softsided luggage, but travel a lot and although it is light, clothes (suits and dresses) don't hold up well on long trips. My bf and I have a combination of Atlantic expandables (suitcases grow as you add stuff...lol) and American Tourister. We couldn't get all the pieces in one brand since we bought them little at a time for occasions so we have two of each and they look al lthe same.

They have held up extremely well over multiple international, US, cruise, and business trips over the past three years. (We bought them at JCPenney's and Macy's). They are lighter than most, but the bullistic nylon makes it worth it in the long run as they last through multiple luggage carousel trips.

Look for luggage with good skate wheels and pull out handles so you can stack a small bag ontop of a big one. Additionally, they have pockets and and straps to hold down suits and long dresses to minimize scrunching (if that is important to you).

My last piece of advice is to pack lighter. For our last cruise, I brought black dress pants with three different tops and I was set for dinner with the exception of one dress. I definitely didn't need the 6 pairs of shoes!

::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo

Call me the Costco Queen, I love my kirkland luggage!! DH laughs because almost everything in the house has Kirkland stamped on it!! Even his undies! Anyway, we have the Kirkland large suitecase, actually 3 of them, one smaller carryon suitcase with wheels and a carryon. They are all softside and expandable, made of that ballistic material, if you have a Costco or probably Sams or the other wharehouse place, check them out. I have made several trips with mine and they are perfect, plus they come with a hanging thing that folds up inside of it!

I had bought a big Samsonite expandable suitcase. We have one that is a hard one for those items that will get squished along the trip and the one that we bought has a soft cover so it's easier to fit into the vehicles. I like it cause it has different pockets and zippers which makes it easier to organize.

i have Tumi and it works wonderfully and it is gauraunteed (they have repaired it for free on two occasions and the luggage is 5 yrs old)

I really like the Ricardo, Santa Cruz Collection from Kohl's. They hold up well, and seem to keep the style the same for a couple years, if not similar over a number of years. We started with one 6 years ago, and have acculated 6 over the years since then. They are study, take alot of abuse, and nestle together for easy storage. The wheels on them are similar to the wheels on in-line skates, so they roll incredible smooth.......even when you have several of them hooked together and a 5 yr old trying to help pull them!

They also carry this line at The Jones Store.....but, Kohls tend to have the best deals on them (50% off, Buy 1 Get 1 Free Offers, ect). They come in a variety of colors including Red, Black, Blue, and Green. I persoanlly would of gotten the Red ones if I could start over.........you hardly ever see red at the airports but lots of the other colors.

My luggage has the extendable handles and the wheels like in-line skates...that is why it was so easy to run through the airport with it. It also has two zippers on it one for regular and the other to expand. The three pieces nest into each other and also came with a carry-on bag but I don't use it. They have the clip that helps them roll together.

$99 not to bad. I used the two smaller pieces at least once a month for business travel....I am an overpacker could never do just a carry-on. The comment about the "red" is so true my luggage is maroon like color and it stands out on the carousel. I also see people put those rainbow straps on their luggage but I don't know where they get those from.

Here is the link: Just picture this in a maroon color....

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...590&type=1&dept=4044&path=0:4044:103150:14590

I have 2 suggestions. There are so many brands that are comparable that I thought I give you something else to look at.

An above poster or two mentioned the first.....Weight. You'll notice when your shopping that one brand of suitcase can weight 7 lbs and another of the same size and amenities can weigh 15-18 lbs. That extra few lbs can come in handy when packing for a longer vacation. Airline weight restrictions are so tight now, that even a pair of shoes can put you over the top! Check the weight of the luggage!

Second thing I think has become even more important...COLOR!!! Have you traveled lately and stood by the carousel and notice that 98% of the big rolly wheel suitcases look almost identical in their BLACK color??? SO many look the same and when you get off of the ship and go to pick up your luggage won't it be so much easier to "spot" your luggage right away in the middle of the SEA OF BLACK!!!

We've actually painted on our Royal Blue suitcases......A large Neon Yellow Pineapple(mine), and a neon Red Fire Dept. logo (DHs). Talk about easy to spot. Short Story, traveling back from Germany last summer we were held up in Detroit because the Immigration computers were down. 4 Jumbo jets from europe had their luggage all unloaded and then an hour later, while everyone from those planes were late for their connecting flights, about 3,000 passengers were all let off the planes at once to go and find their luggage to take through customes. Imagine how great we felt when from across the airport my husband yells...."I've got the Pineapple" and about 30 seconda later I yell back "I've got the Fire Dept." and we took off literally running through customs and made our plan by about 30 seconds. Another group with us.....with their black luggage..... didn't find their suitcases for almost a half an hour and they missed their flight. Just a little story!

Sorry for the rambling.

Mrsfuzzmo:crazy:

Originally posted by ClarabelleCow
Call me the Costco Queen, I love my kirkland ...
ME TOO!!! Even my baby toddles around in Kirkland diapers! And you can guess how I booked my cruise- COSTCO!
Any way I just wanted to add that disneystore.com has cute mickey rolling luggage on clearance. (It is still a little pricey but very cute- maybe too cute actually)

for sure it has to have wheels, and i always by a colored type bag, as it is much easier to spot across an airport baggage claim area than a black on is...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter