What type of booster seat?

meloneyb21

DIS Veteran
I'm looking to buy a new booster seat for my 4 y/o DD. I'm confused as to which kind is best to get. Do I get backless or not? I saw some Graco backless ones that I like but I've also seen ones with a full back. I'm not sure. She's 43 lbs & 41" if that helps any.

ETA: I'm also using this for our roadtrip in May (if it matters).

I like the ones that have the back, but the back is removable. This way when they are older, 7-8 , you wont need to buy a new one.

Not to sound flippant, but have you thought about just leaving her in the 5 point harness for now? She's still on the small side. Just a suggestion.

I like the ones that have the back, but the back is removable. This way when they are older, 7-8 , you wont need to buy a new one.

Not to sound flippant, but have you thought about just leaving her in the 5 point harness for now? She's still on the small side. Just a suggestion.

Hmmm, I wasn't sure. She still has her 2007 Britax Marathon....I just wasn't sure if I should be upgrading or not.

Hmmm, I wasn't sure. She still has her 2007 Britax Marathon....I just wasn't sure if I should be upgrading or not.

The marathon is a great seat. It actually goes to 60lbs and i think about 50inches. Especially if you purchased it last year, i would be holding off.

I would definitely hold off if she still has room to grow in it. My daughter is four as well but we are not so lucky. She has a long torso so she is actually outgrowing hers before she meets the max weight/height. My boys actually have the graco turbo booster which I really like. They are easy to use and you can take the back off. I think the back is better because it offers some side impact protection.

I still have my 4 and 6 yr old in harnessed car seats (marathons-harness to 65 lbs) they are 43.5 inches/41lbs (4 yr old) and 47in/45lb (6yr old) I don't trust either one of them in regular booster seats as they are both wiggly as all get out, and wouldnt be able to sit properly for our long car trips.

My 8 (almost 9) year old is in a Britax Parkway Booster which she (and I) love. It's comfortable, even at her age still, and she is definitely a CAR SLEEPER (will fall asleep from here to walmart-2miles)

If you DO go with a booster, make sure it has a back/with side wings. There's nothing worse than seeing a child leaning on the seat belt to keep their head from slumping over (and you know they end up with a sore neck too)

We found that seats with armrests that lift up were easier for my son to buckle himself into. Leaning way over a fixed armrest to find the buckle was not easy for him.

We use a Compass B530

-ceburto

Consumer reports just released their recommendations for booster seats. You would be suprised at the ones that failed. I do remember Graco Turbobooster being a best bet. You can google the list.

My son turned six and finaly outgrew the MA. He is in a Parkway booster. I like them harnessed as long as possible. I choose the booster whne he was six because he can finally sit correctly. DD is 3.5 and I think she is the only harnessed child at her preschool. Seems like a lot of parents use the booster seat as a potty training reward...calling it the big girl/boy seat. I have tried to give information reagrding safety to moms I know. That is all we can do! I would definately keep her in the Marathon....I bet when she outgrows that seat you'll get a great highback booster seat....theyare getting better and better and more comfy! Good luck! I have found great info on www.carsafety.org ....great carseat forums there! They have several car seat techs that post regularly!

My toddlers are 3 & 4... 46 pounds 41 inches and 42 pounds 43 inches are both in the graco nautilus. They will stay in the 5pt harness until 65 and than it turns into full back booster than a backless booster. I could never do backless booster at this age even if the make the weight.

I would also leave her harnessed in the marathon for as long as possible. As long as her ears are below the top of the seat and the harness is still at or above her shoulders she still fits in it. If you do want a new seat the graco nautilus is a good choice as it will harness for a while and then turn into a belt postioning booster when she is older.

:goodvibes
Thank you all for the great advice. I think I'll stick with the Marathon for now. She still fits well in it.

Just an FYI; For ANY step you take with car seats it is a DOWNgrade...NOT an upgrade. When you go from rear-facing to forward-facing, your child is a step less safe. When you go from harness to belt positioning booster, a step less safe. When you go from booster to seat belt only, a step less safe. If you think of it this way, and delay as long as possible each step, you're doing the best thing for your child.

And a pp mentioned that your Marathon goes to 60lbs. That's not quite right, it harnesses to 65lbs or until the top of their ears reaches to top of the seat shell. When either of those happens, or when the seat hits 6 years from date of manufacture, you must stop using that seat.

Have you considered the Graco Nautilus? It will harness to 65 lbs then a booster then backless. I would not take her out of her britax if she fits though. I also would think about a britax regent or new compass before going to just a booster, especially for her age/size/weight.

I'm glad to hear you've decided to keep your daughter in the Britax Marathon. It is safer for children to be secured in a car seat with a 5-point harness for as long as possible. It seems like a lot of parents put their kids in booster seats too early, because it seems like the "right" thing to do, or the "next step" once they reach a certain age.

We have a Graco Nautilus for our 5yo and are very happy with it. We plan on keeping her in the 5-pt harness until she outgrows it! :)

If she still fits the height and weight requirements of the Marathon, I'd keep her in it until it is outgrown. A forward facing seat is outgrown when any of the following happens:

1. The weight limit is reached. The weight limit on a Britax Marathon is 65 lbs
2. The tips of the childs ears hit the top of the seat
3. The shoulders go over the top harness slots.

Most seats are outgrown by height before weight so just keep an eye on her height. If her shoulders go over the top slots, she needs a new seat.

There are seat out there that will keep her harnessed longer than her Marathon once she outgrows the Marathon. The Graco Nautilus, the Britax Froniter and the Britax Regent are 3 that will. The Nautilus and the Frontier are both combination seats. They will keep her harnessed and then convert to a booster seat.

If and when you do decide to move her to a booster seat, I would recommend a high back booster. While a backless booster is an option, a high back booster offers side impact protection that a backless just canot offer. I would recommend a hbb until outgrown by height and then a backless booster until she passes the 5 step test.

ITA - you made a great decision to leave things as is. That is a great seat and as a PP said every step "up" from here is a step down in safety.

My sil occasionally uses a booster for my neice who just turned 5 for when they aren't traveling in her car and she is soooo not ready. It makes me nuts and I won't use one for her in my car. She is a great kid but small and squirmy so every time you look down she is leaning forward, sideways or has the shoulder belt behind her back - nevermind what happens when she falls asleep, uuggh.

Luckily they do have a harness seat in both her and her dh's car but she thought it would be a good idea for quick trips with school friends etc. NOT in this case.

Just another POV

TJ

Hooray for keeping her harnessed!!! It really is much safer as long as you have a seat to accommodate it. We have a rule that you have to be at least 6 to ride in a booster in our car (applies to friends as well) - any car if you're our child. It has a lot to do with spinal and pelvic development.

Marathons are great seats, both of my kids were able to rear face until close to their 3rd birthdays in ours. My 4.5yo is now in a Regent and she's good to go for years in there.

Hooray for keeping her harnessed!!! It really is much safer as long as you have a seat to accommodate it. We have a rule that you have to be at least 6 to ride in a booster in our car (applies to friends as well) - any car if you're our child. It has a lot to do with spinal and pelvic development.

Marathons are great seats, both of my kids were able to rear face until close to their 3rd birthdays in ours. My 4.5yo is now in a Regent and she's good to go for years in there.

Congrats for keeping him rear facing so long!!! It's hard, and people do try to make you feel over protective. My oldest only rear faced for 1 1/12 years and I turned her, but I didn't know any better then. My middle turned just before his 3rd bday. Now my youngest was 3 on aug.21st and i'm getting ready to turn him. He's still on the short side, but I think his next growth spurt will have us turning him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter