What two restaurants would you pick?

cbellasmomma

Mouseketeer
If you could only pick 2 places for character meals or 1 character meal and 1 dinner show which would you pick if you were paying OOP.

Hands down Tusker House and Hoop Dee Do Review. They are my personal favorites, and I believe, a pretty good deal compared to some others. I also really enjoy the food at both.

Hands down Tusker House and Hoop Dee Do Review. They are my personal favorites, and I believe, a pretty good deal compared to some others. I also really enjoy the food at both.

I was thinking the Hoop Dee Doo Review! It sounds fun for DD and I can have a drink :woohoo:

If you were staying at the Poly would you consider the character breakfast there on the same level as Tusker? It might be more convenient and I'm not sure if I can commit to going to AK.

I am paying OOP next month. My 3 choices as of now are: Akershus for Breakfast, Hollywood & Vine w/ Fantasmic! for lunch/dinner & 1900 Fare for dinner. I have two girls ages 5&7.

Plus T-Rex & Rainforest Cafe

I was thinking the Hoop Dee Doo Review! It sounds fun for DD and I can have a drink :woohoo:

If you were staying at the Poly would you consider the character breakfast there on the same level as Tusker? It might be more convenient and I'm not sure if I can commit to going to AK.

I haven't done the poly breakfast, but breakfast with Stitch should be fun :) It'd be unique... Maybe check the reviews section and see what folks are saying.

If staying at the Poly & "not sure if I can commit to going to AK," I would highly recommend the 'Ohana breakfast over Tusker house (but I do enjoy the Tusker house.)

The food is served family style...and you can get as much as you like. Also the 'Ohana passion fruit "breakfast" drink is fantastic.

Also, while the pictures with Lilo & Stich are unique...you still get to see Mickey in his Luau costume & Pluto. The kids are also invited in a "kids parade/line" and get to move around the restaurant. (while looking back these extras did make it difficult for my little ones to focus on breakfast. :)

For character meals, I would do Cinderella's Royal Table (for the castle) and 1900 Park Fare (the stepsisters were funny and the food was surprisingly delicious for being a buffet!).

Another vote for Hoop De Doo! Not sure how old your DD is, but I went for the first time when I was 7 and LOVED IT.

I remember I brought my doll with me, and the CMs all treated her like a real person. She got a little plate for food and everything! haha.

Dinner show - Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue for sure. The food is good (DD loves the chicken, cornbread and the strawberry shortcake), and the booze are free and flowin'! Our server didn't ever let our beers get below a half before she had more out to us. Also, the show is fun, includes members of the audience, and is very entertaining. We've done it twice before and already have reservations for our trip later this month! DH also went to this show as a kid, and it was his only request when we planned our first trip in 2010 - he wanted to go back to that show!

Character meal - Depends on what you/your kids are into.
If glitter covers your house, then I'm guessing you'll prefer a princess meal, for which I would suggest Asherkus in Norway. Characters are at least 5 different Disney Princesses.
If your preferences are more Classic Disney, then I would suggest 1900 Park Fare (buffet style with yummy soup!). Characters are Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine (Cinderella's Step-mother), and Cinderella's step sisters - Anastasia (pink) and Drizella (teal & puke green). I've heard that the Fairy Godmother is sometimes present, but both times we've been, it's been the ones I've listed. We don't really love buffets, but 1900 PF is the exception, because I LOVE Drizella - She's hilarious and there's great character interaction at that meal!
If you're looking for the Fab 5, then maybe try Chef Mickey's - we've not been there, but I've heard very good things about it.

We love the breakfast at the Beach Club. The character interaction is great and we love seeing the characters in their beachwear. Food is good too & the price is much less expensive than a character dinner. We've been to Chef Mickey's twice & have hated it both times. We also like Crystal Palace for a late lunch if we are paying OOP. Less expensive than dinner but if you schedule it for 3:30ish it can fill you up enough for the night.

Is the Hoop Dee Doo Review hard to get to? Would you schedule it for a day when you are in a particular area (ie leave after touring MK). If it makes a difference we are staying at the Poly.

When paying OOP, we really like the late breakfasts. It's like lunch, but you pay the breakfast prices!

Since you are staying at the Poly, I would highly recommend the convenient locations. Obviously, Ohana breakfast would be my #1 choice. It's great just to wake up and walk down to breakfast.

I like the other options mentioned such as the Hoop Dee Doo Review, Crystal Palace, Tusker House, 1900 Park Fare, CRT, or Chef Mickey's. However, you are staying at a great location, take advantage of it. I would not "bust out" to Tusker House from the Poly just for the character dining.

Is the Hoop Dee Doo Review hard to get to? Would you schedule it for a day when you are in a particular area (ie leave after touring MK). If it makes a difference we are staying at the Poly.

Leaving from MK would be best...we had an early dinner last time (6:30), and took the boat from MK and the boat back to MK. We actually showed up at MK just in time for the fireworks...Worked out great!

I believe you can also take the monorail from Poly to Contemporary and then get a boat from Contemporary to FW. Not quite as direct as a boat from MK, but it would still work.

From whatever park you're coming from, take a bus/boat to ft wilderness. We like to do it on our ak day, since that park closes earlier than the others. Then we do HDDR, then hop to another park after if there are still any open. Keep in mind, afterwards, you'll be full and possibly tipsy. (Beer, wine and sangria are included in HDDR's price) There are also different times and different seating areas. I think tier 1 (main floor seats) are slightly more expensive than the rest.

Our favorites character meals were chosen for the characters first, then the food. Now that is not the case, but we still go back to our faves because of the food!

Breakfast Favorite:
Crystal Palace-Pooh and Friends. Buffet, lots to eat, lovely setting
Ohana-Stitch and Mickey classics-table served family style, very good food.

Dinner shows....have never gone, not interested!
However I have heard good things about Hoop de doo

We like ohana for a fun interactive dinner.

Have fun!:banana:

HDDR is a fun dinner show. The food here is also very good.

1900 PF with Cinderella and her step sisters is very entertaining. For us the best character interaction.

For Princesses, characters and Food at Akershus very good.

Tusker House at breakfast was also very good with Mickey and the gang.

We do HDDR on AK days since AK closes earlier than the other parks and we wouldn't go back there for evening hours anyway (we don't do park hoppers).

I would choose HDDR and Chef Mickey's to see the fab 5. If I didn't have my son- just my daughter it would be HDDR and Akershus princess breakfast.

After doing some price crunching, I have decided on:

For Dinner:
1900 PF with Cinderella (from the posts it sounds like the step-sisters are the draw) With the new Cinderalla movie coming out I think this will be great timing. We will see Ariel, Elsa and Anna at the park (hopefully with our FP) and I think they would be her must-sees.

Ohana - DH will be arriving late in the middle of our trip and I think a family sit down dinner would be a great way for him to unwind from his flight.

I really want to do HDDR, and will reserve it, but might have to cancel that one last minute unless we get gifted with some vacation pixie dust from the granparents. Otherwise it is not in my budget.

Thank you everyone for the information!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter