What trip made you into a Disney Fanatic??

Eoywin

Chaos Mandy
I was just thinking about this - I've taken 3 trips to WDW. 1 as a child, 1 as a teenager, and 1 as an adult.

It wasn't until I took my last trip that I became completely obsessed with Disney World :rotfl: I had wanted to go again after the teenage trip, but never had the money. There was 13 years between the teenage trip and the DisneyMoon.

Now it's been 2 years, and I'm suffering from Disney withdrawal - but my DH has agreed to a December 2010 so I'm happy. I cannot imagine going another decade :scared1: without going back to Disney!

What trip of yours made you into a Disney Fanatic??

My first one for certain! I completely fell in love with everything Disney and I was thirty years old, LOL! I love WDW.

My third trip in Nov of 2004.

My first trip was as a teen in 1984, riding in the back of a station wagon, non-stop from NH, stayed at the no-tell motel, not our idea of fun, MK and Epcot were great.

The second trip was in 2000 with DW and DS (7mo). It was unplanned, a spur of moment visit while visiting family in FL. It was 4 very exhausting days in July, hot and crowded. We stayed onsite at Boardwalk, in a suite (DW was travel agent and got 50% off! in those days.)

My third trip was in Nov of 2004 with DW and DS(3y11m). We hotel hopped and stayed at Pop, AKL, Contemporary. It was a magical trip and thus began our addiction!

The combo of staying onsite and learning to stop and smell the roses is what did it for us. I have had more than one conversation with people who say 'you need a vaca when you get back from WDW, it's so much work'. That's only true if you choose to make it that way. We have found our nirvana and are sticking to it!

My first trip when I was 10. After that I nagged my parents so much it was hard for them to plan a vacation anywhere else :goodvibes

Not so much the trip that makes a person a fanatic...

I think what makes or feeds the Disney fanaticism is podcasts, discusion boards such as this one and other internet resources.

If not for these, you would have come home from your vacation trip to WDW with memories of a great trip and some souvenirs, most of which would be forgtten or hidden away.

You would have gone back to your "regular" life.

You may talk to some neighbors of co-workers, comparing your trip to theirs. But, admit it, most people you know "in person" do not go to Disney World regularly.

You would not have posted over 350 times on Disboards, allowing you to communicate with like-minded people, keeping the fanaticism alive.

Okay, maybe I am talking about me, not you. But if the shoe fits... and I can't be the only one who fits this shoe.

That said, I really did enjoy my two recent trips to WDW, two years apart. I would like to go again. I would have liked to on the podcast cruise. But there are also many other things I like to do and many other places I like to go and would like to go.

Growing up in S. Florida I made many trips to the World especially in high school when my friends and I would go for the weekend. I moved to NJ and it was a few years before i made a trip back. It wasn't until I returned with my children that I became "hooked". There is something truly special about seeing it through their eyes. Although, now I think I am more excited than them for each trip we make.

My very first! I grew up with Disney. As a kid in the 50's my favorite TV program was the Mickey Mouse Club. Annette my first love. As I got older, married and building a career, I never really thought much about the theme parks. I didn't have the extra money or even the notion that WDW existed. Oh, I knew it but not as a reality to my life.

I ran a publishing company and in conjunction with a local travel agency gave away a trip to Disney World as a prize for entering a drawing that we called "Cabin Fever Get Away Give Away".

During the process I thought that this might be something fun for myself (I was 34 at the time), My wife and two daughters (ages 6 & 8). We still were struggling financially so we saved up, budgeted and headed to Florida. I had no preconceived notions about the place. Had never been there, had no idea that any advance planning would be necessary (at the time very little advance planning was necessary), and didn't even know what Disney parks were all about.

We stayed off site and as we were driving on to the property that very first day, I couldn't believe what this place was like. First, the signs said tune to a particular channel on the radio and it gave us directions, what lane to be in, where the next turn was, how to get and use Disney Dollars and so on. We got in MK and here was all this technology, autoanimatronics, cleanliness and fun. You are still remembering that I was 34 years old at the time aren't you?

This was in February 1983...EPCOT Center had just opened in October 1982. I know that I haven't been there anywhere near as often as many of you folks have, but I consider 21 visits from Vermont since then to be a pretty good average. I'm not what I consider a fanatic. I do frequent these boards, and enjoy my trips. I talk about the place with people who seem interested, but as some of you know, if you have read my posts, I can get tired of the Mouse pretty quickly and need to do something else. That's not a put down of anything Disney, just a personal thing.

Now that I am single again and my children have grown and have children of their own, I still try and get to Florida at least once a year. WDW is usually the focus of my trips but not the only part of my trips. I can go to central Florida for two weeks, have a 10 day park hopper and still come home with 6 days still intact to use the next year. Right now I have three days left on a ticket that I purchased in 2006 and three days left on a 7 day (upgraded) pass from this year. (4/3 Deal)

People that I work with consider me the go to guy for WDW information and frankly, I love to talk about the place. I try to offer suggestions and be helpful, but the best advice that I think I can ever give them is to relax, don't plan your trip like it's life or death military action. Stop, smell the roses, take your time. Give yourself a reason to go again sometime. Plan but not to the point that it absolutely takes over your entire vacation. That just doesn't seem like much fun to me.

Not so much the trip that makes a person a fanatic...

I think what makes or feeds the Disney fanaticism is podcasts, discusion boards such as this one and other internet resoures.

If not for these, you would have come home from your vacation trip to WDW with memories of a great trip and some souvenirs, mosts of which would be forgtten or hidden away...

I think I have to disagree for us. After our Nov 2004 trip, we were hooked. I didn't know about DISboards back then, I only went to WDW's website for info, and at that, still did all planning by phone. We were hooked by the magic of the trip.

I think I have to disagree for us. After our Nov 2004 trip, we were hooked. I didn't know about DISboards back then, I only went to WDW's website for info, and at that, still did all planning by phone. We were hooked by the magic of the trip.

I would have to agree with d1gitman on this one. I am new to the boards and know nothing about the podcasts. It was the memories we made on our trip and the experiences we hade that keep drawing us back.

I went a few times as a kid - day trips to MK. I always loved it, but I don't think I became an obsessed fanatic (like I am now), until the first trip I took as an adult with my own little DD. A big part of it is being SOO happy I can do this for her, but I have to say a lot of it has to do with staying on-site for an extended time.

That first on-site visit in 2007, I was able to stay in my "happy place" for a whole week straight, without ever feeling the influence of the outside world. Nowhere else I've been do I have that feeling of leaving the real world totally behind! I LOVE IT, and can't wait to go for the 3rd time in 2 years!!! :cool1:

It was back in 1977, first trip and only the Poly, CR and MK but we stayed at the Cr and it blew us away. Just the sound of the huge game room, little movie studio in the rear and the Fiesta Food Court. Then we discovered the 4th floor, Monorail Club, Outer rim, Pueblo Room and Coconino Cove and knew we found a home. My family was always into amusement parts in Ohio, Idora Park, Cedar Point and Geauga Lake and Kennywood Park plus Euclid Beach Park but upon entering the MK we were blown away. Suck a different world from the others, attractions rather than rides and for the whole family. Our first trips was in June and we felt so impressed we went back that October to see what we were so awe inspired by and it was better the second visit, we felt like veterans. We missed so much the first time and really didn't see or do alot the second trip but it fed our obsession.

Now flash forward to 2009, 42 trips so far and another in the works and we're still awed by all there is in WDW. We've done other places thru the years but nothing compares to Disney, the theming, architecture and landscaping, words can not describe the beauty that your eyes drink in, the attention to detail and making the guests feel real special. I kind of like the old days before the INTERNET and discussion boards to just feel and find the magic on your own. Pod casts and forums build guests expectations too high and they now demand what used to be little surprise magical moments. The requesting of rooms, demanding towel animals, locations services and privileges has ruined the experience. We're glad we started our madness in the 70's before all this and we still go to Disney with no reservations or demands and expectations and I only participate in the forums to inform others of what our experiences are and how to see Disney as a vacation.

Nobody, no place does Disney like WDW. We have never had any regrets and still enjoy the mouse even being empty nesters and include the family every trip when they can go and see the magic thru their eyes now with their youngsters to build on a future of continued magic thru their years into adult like.

Hands down, my first trip. I was 29. The real kicker is I didn't even want to go. I was just making good on a promise to my DS that we would go before he was 10. :wizard:

Ever since, we've been back to WDW every year sometimes twice with the exception of the year I was pregnant with my youngest. Even Disney couldn't make me brave the heat being that pregnant. :lmao:

The first trip back after an eighteen year gap. I had always enjoyed Disney and expected to go back. Then it didnt happen for too long. Once I went back, I became a fanatic.

I had always loved going to Disney World with my family, and always had a great time. But it wasn't until my last trip in October 2007 for our honeymoon that I became totally hooked on WDW. I think my DH would say the same. It had always been fun before, but going on our own, doing whatever we wanted to do, skipping whatever attractions we weren't interested in (he came with my family once when we were dating, and my mom made us do EVERYTHING), and getting so much pixie dust from the CM's sealed the deal.

We still have a great time vacationing other places...since getting married we have been to Seattle and Las Vegas, and are going to Hawaii in a couple weeks. But no other vacation has consumed me the way a Disney trip does!

The magic just engulfed me and ever since I need to go back as often as I can to renew my magic battery.:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

I've always loved Disney. And some may have called me a fanatic as a a child! However, my wife and I decided to go for our honeymoon. we spent 4 days and 3 nights at Disney and we didn't stop the entire time! We loved it, However it was so short and rushed I think the tiredness took away from the magic.

Then our second trip a year and a half later we went in November. The week after Thanksgiving! We had 6 nights 7 days, we stayed at the CBR, it wasn't crowded at all, and all the Christmas stuff was up! We were in awe. I remember the 5th day we were there...we were in the magic kingdom and we were walking down main street looking at all the window displays! I said "We are strolling down main street!" We loved that trip!

But what sealed our fate was a trip a year later! We were going through a rough financial time and didn't really have the money for a vacation. Someone in our church gave us a free week at Bonnet Creek Resort which is on Disney property! So we got tickets and went! We ate a lot in the room and took PB and J into the parks! But even in the heat of August we were wanting to spend the entire day in the park! We couldn't stand not having "the disney on property perks" But we knew that Disney was definitely our place for life!

We have taken two trips since then and this will be our Third! With no thought of slowing down!

The first time my husband and I took our son (then 23 months) in May 2004, I was hooked. I had always enjoyed Disney, but to see it through a toddler's eyes is something truly special. We have since gone to WDW at least once every year and try to fit in a couple of extra days here and there when possible. We now make trips with both our boys and my love for everything Disney grows every trip! I'm obsessed! :)

It was my very first trip. When my wife and I were getting married, we were thinkimg of places to go on our honeymoon. I was thinking of places like Hawaii, Cancun, etc.... One day my wife says, "How about WDW?" I thought about it for awhile and finally agreed. The whole time on the way to WDW I was thinking I was about to spend 5-6 days in a kid's park surrounded by screaming crying kids. Well as soon as we walked into the Magic Kingdom I was hooked. Now I am more oa a WDW nut than my wife.....:lmao: In fact we are planning out 3rd trip to WDW in Sept.

I had always enjoyed Disney, but to see it through a toddler's eyes is something truly special. :)

This is when I became a real Disney fanatic also. I have been to WDW when I was 8 yrs old, 18 yrs old, on my honeymoon and in 2004, but it wasn't until we took our 2 yr old in 2007 that I became a huge Disney fanatic. I had always had a great time at WDW, but experiencing it with my son just makes it so much more magical!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter