What to wear in Italy

Isabel

Mouseketeer
This isn't about a AD tour, but I haven't been able to find answers anywhere else. DisBoards have always been my go-to place for Disney advice, so I'm hoping you all can help me.

DH and I (we're in our mid-50s) are going to Italy next March and I was thinking of getting some Tencel knit travel outfits (like "Indispensible Knits" from LLBean or "Wearever Collection" from JJill). Will I really stand out as a tourist in these travel clothes? Are these as easy to care for as they advertise? I won't have alot of opportunities to do laundry in Italy so I need something that will wash and dry quickly.

This isn't about a AD tour, but I haven't been able to find answers anywhere else. DisBoards have always been my go-to place for Disney advice, so I'm hoping you all can help me.

DH and I (we're in our mid-50s) are going to Italy next March and I was thinking of getting some Tencel knit travel outfits (like "Indispensible Knits" from LLBean or "Wearever Collection" from JJill). Will I really stand out as a tourist in these travel clothes? Are these as easy to care for as they advertise? I won't have alot of opportunities to do laundry in Italy so I need something that will wash and dry quickly.

My mom (68) has been all over Italy twice in the JJill collection you are talking about. She loved the clothes! Easy to rewear, easy to care for, very easy to pack. After two weeks and only about 4 outfits, she was sick of them, but they definitely served their purpose. I don't know about making her stand out as a tourist. I'm not sure that's something she'd pick up on...

No matter what you wear - you will stand out as a tourist, lol. Whether you carry a discreet camera or one with a 12 inch lens, a backpack or a small purse, etc. etc. - the Italians know who is a tourist and who isn't. In any of the tourist districts, they pretty much assume that everyone is a tourist. Just wear whatever you will be most comfortable in and don't worry about the rest...enjoy your trip :)

I would wear what you'll be comfortable in. I'm sure it will still be pretty cool in March so you'll be in longer sleeves, but most of the churches I went in and particularly the Vatican are serious about making sure you don't show your shoulders or knees, so I always had a sweater with me and wore mostly capri's.

Believe me, nobody really cares what you are wearing. I'm sure I stood out like a sore thumb in my Tommy Bahama Aloha shirt!

Thanks everyone. My daughter keeps reminding me to stop stressing - we still have 7 months go to - but I'm so excited I can't help myself!

Thanks everyone. My daughter keeps reminding me to stop stressing - we still have 7 months go to - but I'm so excited I can't help myself!

I hope you have a wonderful time. My husband and I did 2 weeks in Italy, on our own, in 2005. It's a great place to vacation. And I agree with PP, you will stand out as a tourist regardless of what you wear. Make sure your shoes are very comfortable. You will be walking on a lot of uneven surfaces. I wore flats (no tennis shoes) and stood out just with the shoes since all of the Italian women were in heels.

One thing I always take is a pashima. It can really dress up a casual outfit for dinner and it takes little room in the luggage.

I always check the weather reports the day I leave, but it never helps. :upsidedow

It was supposed to be very warm in mid-April (14th-20th), but it wasn't. It was actually very chilly at night (the lowest was 40F) and about 2 days into the trip, the weather during the day was quite nice, but never more than mild. I think the hottest it got to for us was 73(F) and we went to WDW right after and it was 95. Talk about a system shock!

The same was true for Paris 2 years ago. European weather can be very dicey.

I had a couple of pairs of jeans and some capri pants. I had a lightweight and midweight cardigan and sneakers and my Vibram 5 Fingers. But, scarves are the key IMHO. Everyone wears them- even with tank tops. You can use it as a wrap if you take the bigger ones in case it gets really chilly.

I took a carry-on empty and bought a few things there from street vendors and local stores.

I hope you have a great time there. It was simply amazing to be there, regardless of the weather, but be prepared to walk to really experience things. It was so moving in the churches and even in the Senate House...to think you are standing at the start of what many consider to be the beginning of modern civilization, religion, and government. ABSOLUTELY amazing!

If you want, I can PM you the address of the BEST pizza place we found. It had amazing pizza- only one guy spoke English in the whole place and he treated us like royalty! For a lot less money than we should've paid!

No matter what you wear - you will stand out as a tourist, lol. Whether you carry a discreet camera or one with a 12 inch lens, a backpack or a small purse, etc. etc. - the Italians know who is a tourist and who isn't. In any of the tourist districts, they pretty much assume that everyone is a tourist. Just wear whatever you will be most comfortable in and don't worry about the rest...enjoy your trip :)

You don't have to run faster than the bear, just faster than the guy behind you!

In the same way, use common sense to look less touristy than the rest of the crowd. Let someone else attract all the attention and the pickpockets.

When outside of tourist destination, keep the camera out of sight.

Even Italians take pictures of the Coliseum, but know to pack their camera away before getting on the Rome Metro.

-Paul

have a wonderful trip, just lovely!
My only suggestion is that the attire is more reserved, more respectful IMHO....neat, clean, comfortable wear, not sloppy or slouchy KWIM (not that that was what you were thinking anyway :rotfl:) but some people think shor shorts and tanks...to me that is inappropriate and disrespectful if visiting certain regions/areas
Again, have a wonderful experience.

In most churchs you will be asked to cover your shoulders and have a respectful skirt length. My wife brought a sweater she could put on and off when needed. Italian women wear shoes and mostly high heels and walk and sometimes run on that cobblestone just fine. One thing that does tip Americans off is that they wear sneakers/tennis shoes and white to boot. Like stated before most areas that you visit will be chocked full of tourists and you will not stand out at all. It is funny that Venice as well as Rome and other large cities clears out in the hot summer months of the locals to vacation in the hills and shore. LOVED ITALY and hope you have a wonderful time.

If you want, I can PM you the address of the BEST pizza place we found. It had amazing pizza- only one guy spoke English in the whole place and he treated us like royalty! For a lot less money than we should've paid!

DH and I will be doing Viva Italia in October. Will you be kind enough to PM the information about your pizza discovery in Rome. I know we will have some meals on our own, and we love...pizza.

Thanks for the help.:disrocks:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter