• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

what to wear for december trip

I'm heading down to WDW, from Boston, for my 9th year in a row, at this time of year, in about 3 weeks. I usually fly in my heavier clothes...jeans, heavier socks, turtleneck, sweatshirt, flannel-lined windbreaker. Then, I pack a short sleeved shirt in my carryon. Once on the plane, the windbreaker comes off. As we get ready to descend into MCO, the socks come off. When I get to the terminal, I head to the ladies room, and take off the turtleneck and sweatshirt and put on the short sleeved shirt. The 'old' clothes go in my carryon.
Then, I can layer according to the weather....sometimes I've needed the who shebang...turtleneck, sweatshirt and windbreaker. Last Dec was brutal. There was one 3 hr period on one day that I was able to go with just a short sleeved shirt, and still had on jeans!!
So, I pack a few pairs of socks, a few long sleeved tee shirts, a few shortsleeved tees. I have a few pair of capris that go...I don't even bother with shorts in Dec...capris work fine. Then, a second sweatshirt and I'm ready to go.

As others have mantioned, be prepared for layers and large variances. It wouldn't be much of a surprise to have temps in the 30's during one portion of the trip and in the upper 60's on another day. So goes our climate. I live in New Orleans and for an example, Friday night/Saturday morning, it was in the mid to upper 30's. Yesterday I was in shorts and a t-shirt.

Prepare for layers, not just packing the, but making sure you have backpacks and ways to carry your layers around if you plan on park hopping all day.

You might need jeans, a coat and gloves when you leave. By 10 a.m., you'll likely have to ditch the coat and gloves, but then you'll need them again by 7 pm.

I go to WDW the first or second week of Dec every year and always pack for both warm and cold weather no matter what the forecast says. I've been down there when the weather man said it was going to be warm all week, but an unexpected cold snap blew through and we almost froze. I've been down there when we started out wearing shorts and tshirts and were swimming, then by the end of the week we were in pants, coats, hats, and gloves. So now we carry a little bit of everything.

This year I'll be down there Nov 26th-Dec 4th. Yesterday I started getting clothes out to match up. I don't do laundry on vacation, so knew I'd need a variety of mix and match. I got out one pair of kacki cargo shorts, two pairs of capris (one black and one light brown), two pairs of jeans (one navy and one cream), two pairs of wind pants (both black), one pair of navy Disney sweat pants, one pair of cream cordoroy pants, one pair of nicer brown knit pants, and two pairs of kacki cargo pants. I also got five short sleeve tshirts, three long sleeve tshirts, a solid black and a solid white turtleneck, a heavy long sleeve denim shirt that can double as a light jacket, a really heavy navy sweatshirt Disney hoodie, a black fleece, and a fall type windbreaker jacket that's lined in flannel. I'll also carry a pair of thin thermal underwear (top and bottom), two pairs of gloves (in case I lose a pair), and a crocheted scarf and hat plus one swimsuit and a swimsuit coverup. I may not wear everything, but want to be prepared. I haven't packed anything yet though and won't do so until just a few days before I leave after checking out accuweather.com, at which time I may add and subtract a few things. Right now I just have everything matched, (plus a few odd and ends layering pieces) hanging up in my spare bedroom. I have mainly navy, kacki, black, white, turquoise and pink items that will coordinate with each other.

I go to WDW EVERY December.:)

There is NOTHING like being at WDW during the Holidays.:)

The weather,however,can vary GREATLY from year to year as others have mentioned.You may be able to wear shorts all week or you may encounter this:)!!!!:

086-1.jpg

064.jpg

We were there mid december last year and with the wind chill it was 23 degrees!! Not kidding!! All the plants in all the parks were covered with big tarps and we wore layer upon layer, gloves, hats, hoods, scarfs..it was freezing!! We had the bath towels under the door cracks of the room to keep the cold air from pouring in, Pools were closed it was warmer up her in PA when we were there. The year before it was in the 60's! :scared1:

I would bring hats and gloves just in case and some things you can layer too. We are going a bit earlier this year so hopefully we won't freeze again! No matter what you'll have a great time!:thumbsup2

I agree with layers and being ready for anything. We have been in Dec and Jan before and seen 85 degree weather and 35 degree weather. For our trip in 3 weeks :goodvibes, we'll have our fall/winter coats from the trip down from NY, which may come in handy at night. We'll have hoodies, etc. I'll be packing both jeans and shorts. I'll also pack my usual t-shirts to wear, but I'm going to pack long sleeve tees I can wear under them if necessary. I think a combo of t-shirts, long sleeves and hoodies to layer and you'll be good. You may swim in the afternoon and wear a winter coat at night, that's the crazy weather!

I cannot express how bitter cold it got last year. On top of it getting down to the 20's it was windy with humidity in the air. My family was here visiting and I had to bring them every warm thing from my Florida wardrobe to layer on. We were still cold even then! Even if you check the weather in advance it is a good idea to be prepared for all seasons because you just never know here!

:confused3 I was down there last week the first week of December and it was not bitter cold. It was 50s and 60s and I was comfotable in shorts and a sweatshirt. One night I had to put jeans on but that was it.

Sure there were people bundled from head to toe in winter gear, but I am assuming they were southerners:laughing: Coming from NY where it was in the 20s and 30s when we left, it was not cold in Florida.

LAYERS!!!!!! It was freezing last December at the beginning of our trip- we even wore long underwear! But by the end of the week we were in capri's. Florida weather is very fickle!

:confused3 I was down there last week the first week of December and it was not bitter cold. It was 50s and 60s and I was comfotable in shorts and a sweatshirt. One night I had to put jeans on but that was it.

Sure there were people bundled from head to toe in winter gear, but I am assuming they were southerners:laughing: Coming from NY where it was in the 20s and 30s when we left, it was not cold in Florida.

It doesn't stay the same every day you know.

When we were there it dipped into the 20's a couple different nights. No matter how you slice it, THAT is cold.

When we were there it dipped into the 20's a couple different nights. No matter how you slice it, THAT is cold.

I agree..I am a northerner and last year was frigid cold in Florida.

Not sure what part of Florida you were in. I was there last year, the first full week of Dec (Dec 4th-12th), and it was below freezing several nights (in the 20's). According to the CMs it was unseasonally cold.

I was down there a week later the year before and wore shorts/capris all week. You just never know what Florida weather is going to do. I usually go the first or second week every Dec and have worn shorts and tshirts at the beginning of the week then had to switch to long pants, long sleeve shirts, hats, gloves, and coats by the end of the week.

I dont see how that comment was relevant to what I posted:confused3

Not sure what part of Florida you were in. I was there last year, the first full week of Dec (Dec 4th-12th), and it was below freezing several nights (in the 20's). According to the CMs it was unseasonally cold.

I was down there a week later the year before and wore shorts/capris all week. You just never know what Florida weather is going to do. I usually go the first or second week every Dec and have worn shorts and tshirts at the beginning of the week then had to switch to long pants, long sleeve shirts, hats, gloves, and coats by the end of the week.

I was in Tampa. It never got below freezing, I think one night it got 38 but that was the coldest.

We went last december, and I was comfortable most ofhe days (cool weather) and freezing at night. A few days were especially cold too. A few tips, if you are going to spend the whole day at the parks and don't plan on going back to change,
~I wore ayudana flip flops (only things that work for me) so I packed cute christmasy toe socks (the ones with separate toe compartments) tabi socks would work too. I got mine at walmart and I kept them in my bag at the parks so I could slip them on at night. Got tons of compliments on them too!
~bring a thick zip up sweater/sweatshirt you can tie around your waist during the day. I wore short sleeves or a tank top during the day, and kept a lightweight long sleeve shirt rolled up in my bag also.
~a knit hat and gloves does wonders. They don't take up much room in your bag and when you are cold, they make a huge difference!
~ don't forget an umbrella and poncho! It does still rain when its cold, and nothing worse than being cold AND wet!
Good luck and have a magical trip!

I was in Tampa. It never got below freezing, I think one night it got 38 but that was the coldest.

I don't mean to contradict other posters. I just think all points of view are important for the OP while they choose what to pack.

It is normally warmer towards the coast. At Disney with all the pavement there just seems to be nothing to hold the warmth in. The "real feel" index with the wind and humidity was down in the teens for about a week last year. Call me a wimpy southerner but that is some tough theme park weather!! :lmao:

It was very out of the ordinary to be so cold last year and the weather didn't predict it being quite that bad until the last minute (or my parents would have cancelled). So that is why I would bring the winter gear. I have also worn a tank top in December in years past so you just don't know. It is important to come prepared for all seasons.

Thanks for all the input. I think I may have to do laundry. I am gonna have a ton of crap for 6 people. UGH. I remember we always went at christmas when we were kids and never wore more than a sweatshirt. Guess times change. I am soo glad we are driving so I can keep plenty of extras in the car. I think I will start packing on the 15th just to be safe. Everyone will just have to wear PJ's for two day while I take all their clothes. HA HA :rotfl2: Again thank for all the input.

My dad and stepmother were there the middle part of December last year and complained about how cold it was. Not sure what to expect as this is our first trip in December but I am hoping for the best and packing for the worst. As long as there is little rain I'll be happy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter