What to Wear and not wear at Walt Disney World

CanadianDISfan

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know if there is a board or thread in the forums about what to wear in WDW? Thanks!
Gabriella:)

Last edited:
I don't think there is a dedicated board - but there are a lot of threads in the Disney World Tips board about what to wear and not to wear. Some dedicated entirely to bags, and some to shoes. I love your blog post - and the fact that your photos show exactly what not to wear..lol

I, too, struggle with fashion vs function. I moved from the fanny pack to a crossbody, and left my visor behind for a baseball hat. I hate shorts for the very reasons you talk about - capris for me!

I have seen discussions on this in the Theme Park Strategies board. After my first day carrying a small backpack that didn't work for me, tried a crossover bag. Hated that too when it was so hot.

I quickly bought a lanyard with a sealable pouch on it for my money and key to the world card. Now I don't have to worry about that. At the time I smoked and bought a hard plastic case on a lanyard for my few cigarettes for the day. Then I bought a mickey water bottle holder that strapped to my belt loop. I put a small travel size sunscreen in my cargo shorts or capris pocket.

Handsfree is the way I go now so cargo shorts, capris, with pockets and lanyards for my camera case, what doesn't fit in my small camera case or on my lanyard doesn't come with me to the parks!

As a favour to everyone, myself included, my shorts are knee length or just above. Or loose capris too as a PP mentioned.

ooohh... I second the cargo shorts. I had a pair (until DH sprayed mustard all over me!) and love, love, loved them! I could put everything in secure pockets and just wonder. No back issues from carrying anything and everything was easily accessible. They were not the cutest (mens shorts because they apparently don't sell ladies cargo shorts in Canada), but they were SO handy!

Comfortable shorts are a must! I wouldn't reccomend jean shorts. Cotton/fabric shorts all the way! Gotta wear something that you will be comfortable wearing all day in a hot park. I exclusively only wear t-shirts-- no black, no dark colors. They'll make you even hotter. I'm not big on sunglasses, but occasionally I'll bring a hat. I have more than enough hair to protect my scalp ;)

I'm planning on sundresses each day. I find dresses far more comfortable than shorts, not to mention cooler. Either a knee-length or maxi style dress. Some nice comfy flip flops (love my Clarks) and you're set. I have a messenger style camera bag that will hold my wallet and other things. We have a stroller that we can stash stuff in.

Love the idea of cargo shorts, crossbody bag and sundresses!! I'll give all of them a try this July! Thanks for the tips everyone! :)

Been there plenty of times and it seems anything goes. LOL
Couldn't agree more!

Love love your blog. The only thing I will continue to do is wearing my flip flops LOL I love my flip flop. I hate socks and will avoid wearing them at any cost :yay: I had to wear dresses a few years back as I was 6 weeks pg and was huge and had to wear my stretchy dresses and boy did my thighs take a beating. NEVER again will I wear dresses to the parks

Last edited:
I love to wear sundresses in WDW because they look so cute in pictures. I avoid the thigh chafe by wearing a pair of lululemon mid-length tights underneith. My go to shoes are sketchers Go Walks. They are soooo comfy and they come in cute bright colours. Admittedly they are not the most fashionable option but they do the trick.

I tend to focus more on my shoes (and socks) than fashion at the parks because I go for longer trips and to counter the high calorie meals, I try to walk at least 8-9 miles a day. Because of the harsh, unforgiving pavement & cobblestones, I wear light trail shoes (sometimes called approach shoes) and buy the more $ padded runners socks and/or very light hiking socks. Are the shoes beautiful? Definitely not. But I've had my share of WDW blisters in the past and now have learned that this kit plus moleskin is my very best friend in the parks. Cargo shorts are also wonderful for allowing me to lighten up what I carry but women's have become difficult to find. Marks used to carry a woman specific cargo short but discontinued the line a few years ago. I have found their capri pants to be an OK substitute (fewer pockets but still a thigh pocket or two). Their men's cargos can work in a pinch but they aren't as nice. I also pack old t-shirts, polos & undies that I can wash once and then toss out at the end of my vacation so I have more room in my suitcase for souvenirs & goodies. I still pack at least one nice, dressier woman's polo & pr of capris so if I decide to splurge on a nice dinner, I am ready. A few dollar store ponchos round out the ensemble for surprise showers.

If you live near one Mountain Wearhouse usually has some women's cargo shorts. If you go during a sale they run about $20-30.

Agree that shoes are most important. Gotta wear what's comfortable for those long days at the park.

I hate to admit it but I still use a small fanny pack,although most of the time it's sits on my hip and not my tummy.
I love all the pockets to keep things organized and having my hands free. I also hate any type of bag strap on my
shoulder or neck.
I go for comfort ,,cargo shorts, comfy t shirts and running shoes that have been worn in. I like ankle socks that wick away
the moisture. I also take my Birkenstocks with me. I always carry a few pre cut pieces of moleskin with me .
If shopping in DTD I will take a handmade cotton quilted bag with me.
Sunglasses are a "Must' for me.

Hugs Mel

Couldn't agree more!

Love love your blog. The only thing I will continue to do is wearing my flip flops LOL I love my flip flop. I hate socks and will avoid wearing them at any cost :yay: I had to wear dresses a few years back as I was 6 weeks pg and was huge and had to wear my stretchy dresses and boy did my thighs take a beating. NEVER again will I wear dresses to the parks

Thanks!!! I wish I could wear flip flops but I'm clumsy and would trip over my own feet! I'll try a sundress just to see what it's like. :)

I hate to admit it but I still use a small fanny pack,although most of the time it's sits on my hip and not my tummy.
I love all the pockets to keep things organized and having my hands free. I also hate any type of bag strap on my
shoulder or neck.
I go for comfort ,,cargo shorts, comfy t shirts and running shoes that have been worn in. I like ankle socks that wick away
the moisture. I also take my Birkenstocks with me. I always carry a few pre cut pieces of moleskin with me .
If shopping in DTD I will take a handmade cotton quilted bag with me.
Sunglasses are a "Must' for me.

Hugs Mel

Love the idea of pre-cutting moleskin!! Thanks! Birkenstocks are really popular these days, seeing them everywhere!!! That would be comfy and cool!!

I love to wear sundresses in WDW because they look so cute in pictures. I avoid the thigh chafe by wearing a pair of lululemon mid-length tights underneith. My go to shoes are sketchers Go Walks. They are soooo comfy and they come in cute bright colours. Admittedly they are not the most fashionable option but they do the trick.

Great idea for the sundress to avoid chafing!! I love my sketchers too but can I ask, do you wear socks or no show liners with them? When I wear mine bare footed, my feet get really sweaty and hot. Not sure why!

I tend to focus more on my shoes (and socks) than fashion at the parks because I go for longer trips and to counter the high calorie meals, I try to walk at least 8-9 miles a day. Because of the harsh, unforgiving pavement & cobblestones, I wear light trail shoes (sometimes called approach shoes) and buy the more $ padded runners socks and/or very light hiking socks. Are the shoes beautiful? Definitely not. But I've had my share of WDW blisters in the past and now have learned that this kit plus moleskin is my very best friend in the parks. Cargo shorts are also wonderful for allowing me to lighten up what I carry but women's have become difficult to find. Marks used to carry a woman specific cargo short but discontinued the line a few years ago. I have found their capri pants to be an OK substitute (fewer pockets but still a thigh pocket or two). Their men's cargos can work in a pinch but they aren't as nice. I also pack old t-shirts, polos & undies that I can wash once and then toss out at the end of my vacation so I have more room in my suitcase for souvenirs & goodies. I still pack at least one nice, dressier woman's polo & pr of capris so if I decide to splurge on a nice dinner, I am ready. A few dollar store ponchos round out the ensemble for surprise showers.

Wow! Great advice and tips! Thanks!! I love the idea of making room in your suitcase for the trip back. I did that too last year by donating old clothes to the various charity donation bins around the parks. I think there's one on Turkey Lake Rd. on the way to Walmart. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter