What to use for character autographs instead of retractable Sharpies?

sixkristy6

DIS Veteran
I had planned on buying the retractable Sharpies for character autographs and the only place I have ever seen them was at AC Moore. I went there today, intending to buy a few and found out they are $4.79 each! That's crazy! I remember them being much less expensive when I last saw them (which was before we planned to go to Disney).

What other things have you used for character autographs?

ETA: I just saw these on Amazon and it is a possibility (I have Amazon Prime so it would be here on time). They must have just cut the price,
http://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Retra...49659316&sr=8-1&keywords=retractable+sharpies

I had the same problem! Last March, I was finally able to find some at the dollar store, but they ran out of ink FAST. This time, i just got regular sharpies. I think that will be a pain, though,

I had planned on buying the retractable Sharpies for character autographs and the only place I have ever seen them was at AC Moore. I went there today, intending to buy a few and found out they are $4.79 each! That's crazy! I remember them being much less expensive when I last saw them (which was before we planned to go to Disney).

What other things have you used for character autographs?

ETA: I just saw these on Amazon and it is a possibility (I have Amazon Prime so it would be here on time). They must have just cut the price,
http://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Retra...49659316&sr=8-1&keywords=retractable+sharpies

You can find them at any office supply store. A 3 pack at staples is about 6.50. There are also fat pens near the autograph books.

You can find them at any office supply store. A 3 pack at staples is about 6.50.

We don't have a Staples here. I can check Office Max or Office Depot (I;m not sure which one we have). I didn't even think to look there. Thanks.

We don't have a Staples here. I can check Office Max or Office Depot (I;m not sure which one we have). I didn't even think to look there. Thanks.
I have seen at every office supply store ( staples, Office max, office depot). I've also seen in packages at walmart, target etc. Another idea is check CVS or walgreens I've seen them there.

I have used scrapbook pens, regular ink pens, fat ink pens, regular sharpies. I will say the fatter writing items are easier for charcters to handle.

I only like sharpie's in autograph books. The amazon price is fantastic for a 12ct.

I have seen at every office supply store ( staples, Office max, office depot). I've also seen in packages at walmart, target etc. Another idea is check CVS or walgreens I've seen them there.

I have used scrapbook pens, regular ink pens, fat ink pens, regular sharpies. I will say the fatter writing items are easier for charcters to handle.

I checked CVS, Wal-Mart, Target, Rite Aid, and Walgreens. I actually have regular Sharpies in different colors (I use them for work), but I want the retractable ones (and of course the stores I mentioned do not have them here).

Thanks again!

I saw a 3 pack at Big Lots recently (last month) for under $5. I didn't buy them since the ones we bought 2 years ago for our last trip were still good. :)

I saw a 3 pack at Big Lots recently (last month) for under $5. I didn't buy them since the ones we bought 2 years ago for our last trip were still good. :)

I never thought of Big Lots and I almost stopped there today!

I just cashed in $14 of pennies at Coin Star and picked the Amazon gift certificate so there was no fee. I now have a $14 gift card to Amazon so I am going to buy the ones there.

I wait until I have a 40-50% off any item coupon for Joanns or Michaels and get them there. I think I paid about $6 for a big pack of assorted colors last time I bought them.

But a note of caution... The retractable ones might be easier for characters, but they're also easier to have accidents with if something in your purse/bag bumps the marker. We've switched to using regular Sharpies rather than have a repeat of the Sharpie stain incident.

I wait until I have a 40-50% off any item coupon for Joanns or Michaels and get them there. I think I paid about $6 for a big pack of assorted colors last time I bought them.

But a note of caution... The retractable ones might be easier for characters, but they're also easier to have accidents with if something in your purse/bag bumps the marker. We've switched to using regular Sharpies rather than have a repeat of the Sharpie stain incident.

Good advice on the retractable Sharpies and accidents.

I tried the same thing (using a coupon) but JoAnn's and Michael's did not have them, which surprised me.

We brought a pack of crayola markers. Dd liked picking which color each character used and the autographs turned out fine with them.

I think I'm just going to use regular Sharpies. I have a ton of different colors from work so it just makes sense to use them.

Along these lines (sorry, a little bit of a hijack, but related), when people say "fatter" pens, how fat? They have the huge ones that are larger than a quarter width, ones that are about a quarter and oval, then they have regular-sized, then they have the skinny ones. I've always used the regular, but I'm wondering if the larger, the better? Not a big deal, but I'm just wondering. :confused:

Along these lines (sorry, a little bit of a hijack, but related), when people say "fatter" pens, how fat? They have the huge ones that are larger than a quarter width, ones that are about a quarter and oval, then they have regular-sized, then they have the skinny ones. I've always used the regular, but I'm wondering if the larger, the better? Not a big deal, but I'm just wondering. :confused:

The larger pens are better for the characters with "paws" as they're easier to hold. :)

Do you not have a Walmrt in your area? They are $3 or 2/$5 at Walmart. You can get all the colors in a pack for about $15.

FWIW Office Depot sells them in packs and as open stock, all of Sept they were on sale in the open stock for $1 a piece.

The larger pens are better for the characters with "paws" as they're easier to hold. :)

I beleiver what the PP is describing are what we would call poster markers, they are huge and thick these are not good for charecter autographs, the tips are too broad to sign with. The 'normal' sized sharpie that is like a normal pen is the sharpies charecters can use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter