What to tell kids when they quesion if those are "the real characters/princesses"?

Technically, they are the real characters.

Disney Parks and Resorts hires actors or cast members with some sort of theatrical experience to portray that character "on stage" which refers to an area in a Disney theme park is accessible to the public.

It's just like any actor playing a role. On stage, they become the character, and we the audience treat them as such.

Actually, my full statement is this.. "Of course they are real.. You think I spend all this money to take you to see fake ones?? now shush and eat your mickey bar..." I have no shame in deceiving my children when it impedes on my magic time..

I love this answer! Our kids first trip is soon and our Son is just 5. He keeps asking if they are real or just teddies?! I keep saying I have met them plenty of times and they seem very real to me!

Just tell them the truth. Those are local Florida high school kids earning minimum wage, signing fake autographs. My parents set me straight at an early age and I turned out just fine. Why promulgate the lie? If they're old enough to ask a question like that, then there is already an element of doubt in their minds. Why go ahead and lie to your kids at that point?

supernova said:
Just tell them the truth. Those are local Florida high school kids earning minimum wage, signing fake autographs. My parents set me straight at an early age and I turned out just fine. Why promulgate the lie? If they're old enough to ask a question like that, then there is already an element of doubt in their minds. Why go ahead and lie to your kids at that point?

Wow..... just.... wow..... thats just sad..

:sad2:

then you would say I'm crazy (and I don't really care) to believe in fairies and Santa (well Saint Nicholas existed for real) pixiedust:
I understand that WDW characters are just employees but to keep the magic until they become teenagers and understand by themselves is not a crime... IMHO

If a little one asks if a character or princess is real I think it's a good idea to ask them, "Well, what do you think?"

If they say "yes, I think they're real" then they probably aren't quite ready to let go of the fantasy, yet. In that case go along with it and say, "You're probably right!" :)

If they say, "No, I think they're fake" a good follow-up is "why do you think that?". Hear them out, see what they say. A great response is, "Those are some really good thoughts. I'm not totally sure, so let's keep our eyes open and see what we think at the end of the day." Most likely, by the end of the day, they will forget they even asked. :rotfl:

I'm a pre-school teacher and we get this question a lot with the jolly old elf in the red suit!

We did do the "what do you think?" Question last time! Our little peanut, 4 at the time, said that she thought so, but did not sound so sure.
I love the answering a question with a question technique. Works well with wee ones.

Let me apologize in advance, as this is be a bit long winded. I have posted this a couple of times before, but it really applies to this thread, so I'm posting again. Wall 'o text coming, ye be warned. I have loved Disney World dearly since my wife first talked me into taking my two older kids (back then, they were our only kids). We went when DD was seven, and DS had just turned five. It was a great trip, despite the crowds and heat of spring break, and us not knowing what we were doing. We went three years later in December, and loved it again. So much so, that we made a conscious choice to bring home a special souvenir. Yep, we had a new DS the following August. This started us on our "second family", as we sometimes refer to it. Today, we have three boys aged six, four, and two... to go with our teenagers aged seventeen and fifteen. When baby #4 was four months old, we went for our third Disney trip. We've loved WDW for some time, but on that trip, the third child went from Mommy's boy to Daddy's Disney buddy. Aged two at the time, he rode a lot of rides with me while mom held the baby. But the real treat was seeing true magic and wonder in his eyes as he met the characters, saw the castle for the first time, etc. We went back when he was four, child #4 was two, and child #5 was four months old. He was more into rides then, but again, the two year old was filled with magic. I see parents deciding to wait until their kids are tall enough to ride everything before they go to WDW. I understand the logic, having had a short five year old that couldn't do it all (and wanted to do so). But wow, the magic that you miss. Recently, we booked for this November. DD17 will not be going, to my dismay... she just hasn't cared for Disney since becoming a teen, and we've decided to not force her to go. Fortunately, DS15 still loves it. Obviously, the little boys are looking forward to it like crazy. At travel time, we'll be mom and dad, DS15, DS6, DS4, DS2. Mom will not be able to ride a ton this time, as baby #6 is on the way. DS6 and I were recently talking about the upcoming trip. The little boys are very into Star Wars right now; I was mentioning how I'd love to go in June one year for SWW, even with the heat and crowds. It was then that my Disney buddy asked a question that made me wistful. "Who do you think dresses up as Darth Vader?" he asked. I knew this day would come, of course. DS is very bright. And naturally, you can't expect a child to believe that the characters are "really real" forever. I had hoped it might last a bit longer, as he is our first to be home schooled; there is a little more innocence in him than, say, in his baseball teammates. Still, I had seen less magic during our trip when he was age four compared to his trip at age two; it stands to reason that most of it would be gone by the worldly age of six (when we travel this year). Saddened, I prepared to have a talk about how it's fun to pretend, that so much of the joy of WDW comes from imagination, etc. "What do you mean?" I asked, deciding to play coy for a bit longer. "Isn't that the real Darth Vader?" "You're silly," he told me. "The real Darth Vader wouldn't just stand around waiting to meet people." Good point, kid. Still unsure of what to say, I flipped it on him. "Maybe," I allowed. "Who do you think it is?" I asked. He thought about it for a minute. "Mickey Mouse," he spoke with some assurance. I asked him what he meant, so he explained. "I bet Mickey Mouse dresses up as Darth Vader. At least sometimes. " As if it was a clearly obvious answer. I allowed that maybe he was right, and we went on to talk about other things. Apparently there is still some magic left... at least for a little while longer.

You're doing something right, keep it up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter