What to put in a cooler to use at hotel?

We always take a cooler to WDW we are DVC members, we also eat in our Villa at lest twice a day. While I know my case is different because I do have the kitchen our first night I always take items that I can have with no prep time.

1st night dinners:
Honey Baked Ham (you can purchase in 1lb packages)
Fried or grilled Chicken will keep several days. (can be eaten cold)
Potato salad (keeps great in a cooler for several days)
Pasta salad also keeps for several days.
Baked Beans (I warm them in microwave but they are good cold)
Sliced tomatoes or a packaged salad just make sure the packaging is protected so it doesn't get soggy from the water in the cooler.

Left overs are then used for lunch during the trip.
Ham is used for breakfast.

There are so many things you can take, just make sure you protect the food items so they don't get wet. I use rubbermaid and zip-locks for added safety.

Try too use the items that wont keep as long first like the potato salad instead of potato chips.

I freeze water bottles to help keep the cooler colder during the trip down, (then take these to the parks-cold ice water for several hours) solid blocks of frozen water stay frozen longer than the bagged ice, you could freeze water at home that will fit into your cooler.

Hope this helps

Great ideas everybody. I like the idea of taking the pitcher to let the ice melt in for water. I wouldn't have thought of that one either. We are driving down so we will need drinks and snacks on the way down and back too. It is about a 17 hour drive going 1050 miles according to mapquest. We will be staying at a hotel somewhere along the way. Not sure where yet. We are driving from PA.

Can you take a soft sided cooler bag to the park if it has a plastic insert in it? I saw one today at walmart that looks like an oversized old fashing lunch box and the bottom is too keep stuff cold and in the top is a separate compartment for dry stacks.
Thanks everybody!

Can you take a soft sided cooler bag to the park if it has a plastic insert in it? I saw one today at walmart that looks like an oversized old fashing lunch box and the bottom is too keep stuff cold and in the top is a separate compartment for dry stacks.
Yes, you may take a soft sided cooler into the park, just remember you will go through security and everything will be checked.
You may want to consider taking two coolers one for your food items and another just for drinks and the snacks you may want on the trip down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter