What to pack?

Teaching in NV

Mouseketeer
My daughter just got accepted for the spring internship at WDW (mouse addiction runs in the family LOL).
I have a few questions for the fall interns:
We live on the west coast and are flying to Florida - because of all the airline restrictions - packing is a concern. I know there are packing lists on the D-intern websites, but I wanted to ask you ...

1) What should she pack - absolute essentials

2) Where should we go to shop for things I'd rather not pack across the country (like towels and bedding)

3) I want to do something special for her once she gets into her dorm (shhh .. don't tell her) She is planning on moving into Chatham. Can anyone give me a contact person there that could/would help me arrange for a surprise in her room? She checks into the program Jan 7th.

My daughter just got accepted for the spring internship at WDW (mouse addiction runs in the family LOL).
We live on the west coast and are flying to Florida - because of all the airline restrictions - packing is a concern. I know there are packing lists on the D-intern websites, but I wanted to ask you ...

2) Where should we go to shop for things I'd rather not pack across the country (like towels and bedding)

3) I want to do something special for her once she gets into her dorm (shhh .. don't tell her) She is planning on moving into Chatham. Can anyone give me a contact person there that could/would help me arrange for a surprise in her room? She checks into the program Jan 7th.

1) since you're flying with her, you will have the ability to pack suitcases for her and leave them with her. I had a friend that packed shoes in one case and clothes in another, and she had flown from Massachusetts.

now, to answer the question about what you should pack: clothes, but as a girl, i bet she'll prolly be buying more while down there. And, she'll spend a LOT of time in her work costume.

2) wal-mart is REALLY close to the apartments. There are also plenty of places to shop nearby like target and stuff.

3) I highly doubt there will be a way for you to get something in her room. I did my CP years ago, but when i did it, they had assigned me an apartment, and then i went to request a change before i even moved in. so anything could happen, and once she starts the check-in process, you won't see her until yall are ready to go to her apartment.

I flew for my last program from Massachusetts. I basically packed clothes, bedding, and essentials like shampoo and stuff.

Walmart is really close to the complex and they usually have everything else you need. Also there are plenty of other shopping centers around if you do need anything.

Lastly there is no way to get something into her room before she moves in. There is no way to know where she will be living until check in day. Basically what happens is you wait in a line and they ask you where you perfer to live and with how many roommates. She could then request Chatham. They try to do their best to meet everyone's preferences but sometimes you get what you get. So unforunately you wont find out where and in what apartment she is living until the 7th.

*However, during move-in day (or atleast mine) we had to attend a meeting at the commons. So i left my parents at my apartment while I went to the meeting in the afternoon. So you could at that piont leave something special in the apartment for her. That is pretty much the only way it could be done.

I suggest you order things like bedding online and set your order to be picked up at the Walmart on 535 (or which ever one you chose)(It's called Site-to-Store). So many people will be out shopping you may not be able to find what you want if you wait til you get there.

I flew down on Southwest and with them you are able to take 2 suitcases for free. I had one carry one, two checked and then my mom had the same (so she took a bunch of my stuff). I even bought bedding to take with me just because I like it so much and was super cheap haha. I made a list and it seemed like a lot of stuff but in reality it wasn't that bad.

If you are renting a car I would suggest getting directs to SEVERAL walmarts/targets/bed bath beyond/etc...So many people will be checking in and going to buy things so my mom and I went to a Walmart about 15 minutes away. It was much less crowded and had a lot more things in stock.

Something I would suggest buying are bed risers. They'll your daughter a lot more storage space. With those I was able to put a laundry basket and my extra suitcases under my bed(you can order them online!)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5148131

I bought all of my food, kitchen stuff, pillows, towels, shampoo, conditioner, face wash, hairspray, cotton balls, contact solution...(basically all of my toiletries) laundry basket, storage things, hangers, door hooks, dry erase calendar for the apt, decorations once I got there.

So Walmart and Target are close. My girlfriend and i will be driving down from Tennessee. She has a 2007 Corolla, so space is limited. How should my packing differ from someone who is flying?

So Walmart and Target are close. My girlfriend and i will be driving down from Tennessee. She has a 2007 Corolla, so space is limited. How should my packing differ from someone who is flying?

I have a Scion tC which has about the same amount of room, if not smaller, than your Corolla. I've found that I can fit three 18-gallon storage bins in my back seat with a little more room to spare (on the floor and such). I also have the trunk. I figured one bin would be for clothes and toiletries, one for bedding things, and I haven't figured out what to do with the other bin yet. Don't forget to leave room for things to bring back! I may just leave the other bin empty because I totally expect to come home with a lot more than I go down with!

I have a Scion tC which has about the same amount of room, if not smaller, than your Corolla. I've found that I can fit three 18-gallon storage bins in my back seat with a little more room to spare (on the floor and such). I also have the trunk. I figured one bin would be for clothes and toiletries, one for bedding things, and I haven't figured out what to do with the other bin yet. Don't forget to leave room for things to bring back! I may just leave the other bin empty because I totally expect to come home with a lot more than I go down with!

This sounds reasonable. Is there going to be enough room for both her and I to do this? She gets like 40 mpg, so taking a second car is really much of a option.

This sounds reasonable. Is there going to be enough room for both her and I to do this? She gets like 40 mpg, so taking a second car is really much of a option.

I think there will be. I figured that me as one person would only fill half of a bin with clothes since I'll be wearing my costume a lot more than regular everyday stuff so I don't have to bring much down. The Corolla has a lot of leg room in the back (my mom has one), so that's definately an advantage for you. Remember also that you can buy bigger things when you get there. I plan to buy pillows, a hamper, and a trashcan among other things at Walmart or Target :]

I think there will be. I figured that me as one person would only fill half of a bin with clothes since I'll be wearing my costume a lot more than regular everyday stuff so I don't have to bring much down. The Corolla has a lot of leg room in the back (my mom has one), so that's definately an advantage for you. Remember also that you can buy bigger things when you get there. I plan to buy pillows, a hamper, and a trashcan among other things at Walmart or Target :]

That's true about the costume. The thing I am worried about is that she has applied for a PI and she has a decent change of getting it. If she does, she will live off property and will probably need to bring more stuff down with her. Maybe I am just worry about stuff needlessly.

The Disney Florist may be able to help you if that is the type of thing you want to do. They have info about this in the parent section of the site:
http://www.wdwcollegeprogram.com/sap/its/mimes/zh_wdwcp/family/family_main.html

I flew down to FL for my CP in 2006 and even though there were airline restrictions as far as how much you can take with you, I still managed to take more than enough things that I needed. I would recommend taking absolute essentials and having extra cash along just in case she needs to buy things once she arrives there. I am one of those people who doesn't realize all the things I need until I arrive somewhere. Thankfully, Wal-Mart and other stores are not too far, the same bus that takes all the people to work also goes to the mall and Wal-Mart. I believe it still does this, I was in the program in 06 and believe things are all relatively the same. Chatham is great, I think your daughter will love it. Walgreens is right at Vista Way and they sale many necessary items as well. As far as a contact person, I would try speaking to one of the people who work for Disney to see if they can put you in contact with the correct person. Hope you have a great trip there and hope I answered your questions! :-)

I've learned a lesson from working somewhere else to not take much haha
Buut...I'm craming my stuff and my friends' stuff into my beetle. The two of us will get to be crammed and drive from Florida.
Now we both don't have much option but to pack light and now figure out what to take.

When I left for my program I packed everything I thought I needed and didn't worry about bringing back more stuff. That probably wasn't the best idea, but it all worked out in the end. I packed sheets and a light blanket, figuring in florida i would be fine, but I ended up needing another one since we kept our air on all the time.

I bought hangers and a laundry basket and other essentials at Wal-Mart. Half of my room mates had cars and we were really good friends, so it was never a problem to hitch a ride and skip the bus.

I found that on work days I mostly wore my costume or pajamas. On days off or when I would go somewhere before or after work, I would actually put on real clothes. In retrospect, I know I took way more clothes than I really needed, but how was I to know. I'd never been a live in my jammies girl before. Just remember that you will need at least one business dress outfit for traditions or more if you take classes.

When I left, I shipped home three LARGE boxes that wouldn't fit in my luggage. It was kinda funny actually. I borrowed my roomates car and went to the post office and took those boxes in one at a time and waited in line each time. I think the total weight was something like 70 or 80 pounds. So, maybe leaving room to bring stuff home would be a good idea...

You all have been really helpful. Thank you so much for all your advice. For those of you who are doing the program in the spring ... have a wonderful adventure ... and do't forget to call your mommies! (grin)

When I was a CP in Aug 04(aaww so long ago) I flew the first time and took 2 big suitcases and shipped my computer in a box. I came home in January, got my car, drove back, and extended my program. When I drove home in May I shipped the suitcases and kept the computer in my car :thumbsup2

I will be packing and not coming home because Orlando will be my new home, but in general, you don't need as many clothes as you think and just take basic items I guess. For me it's always electronics that take up all the room.

oh and buy a pizza cutter!

I tell you what you could bring to have some fun - weed!
Try a little of that and get on Space Mountain.
That was a great college day trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter